Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Les Savy Fav (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20298)

dazedcola 03.08.2008 01:38 PM

Les Savy Fav

I always heard this name tossed around but never heard them until last night on Conan. I really liked what I heard and wanted some fan imput on whats the best album to start with by them.

Pax Americana 03.08.2008 01:50 PM

3/5 is my favorite by them.

batreleaser 03.08.2008 02:10 PM

inches is their best. they have great guitar playing. their a good band, just be sure as fuck to avoid theyre alblum that came out in 07, its garbage, complete garbage. their awesome live though.

atsonicpark 03.10.2008 12:34 PM

rome upside down is good.

go forth has some amazing songs.

inches also has some amazing songs.

that's really all you need... the guitar playing is a god, even if his guitar lines dangeously approach U2 territory. the rhythm section is tight. too bad about that singer is always mixed too loud..
last one sucked.

Toilet & Bowels 03.10.2008 01:04 PM

i've only heard a few songs but they kind of struck me as a pussified version of the jesus lizard

the ikara cult 03.10.2008 02:48 PM

i recently got the newest one and have not been impressed, so avoid that.
Rome written upside down is really good, but id say The Cat and The Cobra is the one to go for first.

HaydenAsche 03.11.2008 09:02 AM

I love Inches. They kind of get old, though.

cellscape 03.11.2008 09:04 AM

I like everything they have put out. I like their singer. I really like there new album although it has recieved a bit more mixed reviews. I would definately not avoid it, if you like their sound. I would start with inches.

Rob Instigator 03.11.2008 09:10 AM

I love the les savy fav music. I rock it. rock it hard.

to me they are less like jesus lizard and more like an amped up pixes if that is possible

I rock Go Forth like a motherfucker "Whooop whoop!"

PAULYBEE2656 03.11.2008 09:30 AM

insides is really really good! the new one is possibly the worst album and most dissapointing album ive heard since the boo radleys wake up! its terrible!

atsonicpark 03.11.2008 12:56 PM

the pixies? Rob, I love you, but I hear NO pixies in their music.

they are like an indiefied Gang of Four with a guitar player who may or may not have been a big U2 fan in college.

:)

atsonicpark 07.27.2010 03:48 AM

Been listening to the new one for a few days. It's better than friends.

jon boy 07.27.2010 10:33 AM

i saw them live, not much to write home about and then i heard some records and i hated them, just lightweight.

atsonicpark 07.27.2010 10:43 AM

Haha every show review I've read says they're the best live band ever. But I find that hard to believe. I think they'd be a GREAT band but the singer is awful; bad lyrics, bad delivery, bad voice, and he's always mixed way too loud, and I guess live he's in people's faces and getting naked and stuff. No one wants to see that shit. Since he doesn't play an instrument, he sings over entire songs, hardly ever shutting up. Just ridiculous.

ROME UPSIDE DOWN is a really great ep, Go Forth and Inches are both classics in their own way too. Just a brilliant guitar player, he holds the band together. But damn with a different vocalist... well... that'll never happen, but I just wonder..

Rob Instigator 07.27.2010 10:51 AM

I dig th vocals and lyrics.
he is a force.

atsonicpark 07.27.2010 11:48 AM

You look like him.

I don't think a lyric like "YOU'RE SO VAIN I BET YOU DON'T THINK THIS SONG IS ABOUT YOU, CHAMPAIGN CHAIN YOU CAN'T GO BACK THE WAY YOU CAME THE END RESULT IS STILL THE SAME" is good at all.

loubarret 07.27.2010 01:42 PM

I might catch their show in the pitchfork place in Hollanb and report back to you wen it happend

Rob Instigator 07.27.2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
You look like him.

I don't think a lyric like "YOU'RE SO VAIN I BET YOU DON'T THINK THIS SONG IS ABOUT YOU, CHAMPAIGN CHAIN YOU CAN'T GO BACK THE WAY YOU CAME THE END RESULT IS STILL THE SAME" is good at all.

it's rock n roll. lyrics are severely un-important to the rocking out.

chicka 07.27.2010 02:30 PM

thanks for the introduction to this band. I'm enjoying them.

jon boy 07.27.2010 05:49 PM

to me they just seem really redundant musically, like a low rent weezer (who also suck badly) and just because they have a front man that takes his clothes off and jumps around doesnt make them good.