Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I Hate Fugazi!!! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18864)

Crumb's Crunchy Delights 01.11.2008 07:27 PM

I Hate Fugazi!!!

Have you heard this pile of horse sh*t?

Crumb's Crunchy Delights 01.11.2008 07:29 PM

I checked this band out because they're always being mentioned, but they sound awful. and what a bad name for an album: Marillion.

atari 2600 01.11.2008 07:30 PM

Yeah, Marillion is awful. There's a few knuckleheads at dime that like them.

"Fugazi" is a Yinglish (Yiddish/English) word for out of whack, crazy or otherwise off-kilter, just in case anyone (you know you were haha) was mistakenly wondering why Marillion would name their album after another band. I don't know, it might be Germanic in origin, or something else entirely. I've heard it used by Jewish people. It's pronounced fu-gay-zee. I just wonder if the pronunciation of the band Fu-gah-zee is the original way they intended it or not. And it's definitely "Fu" (as in kung fu) and not "foo" because the first sound of both pronunctiations is a short sound.

Do you play guitar at all?

Everyneurotic 01.11.2008 07:30 PM

yeah, marillion is very boring.

i'm not particularly fond of fugazi the band.

Crumb's Crunchy Delights 01.11.2008 07:35 PM

Fucked Up, Got Ambushed, Zipped In

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.11.2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumb's Crunchy Delights
Fucked Up, Got Ambushed, Zipped In

Yep.

Other military slang:

SNAFU:
Situation Normal, All Fucked Up

AWOL:

Absent Without Leave

Charlie Foxtrot: CF: Cluster fuck

FUBAR:

Fucked up beyond all recognition

BOHICA:

Bend Over, here it comes again

gmku 01.11.2008 07:49 PM

I would recommend the Repeater LP instead.

atari 2600 01.11.2008 07:51 PM

I hardly take anything you write seriously,
yet another tosser most likely,
but in case you are on the level,
it's cool you play banjo.

A friend plays banjo, here a couple of pictures
of one of his paintings:

atari 2600 01.11.2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Yep.

Other military slang:

AWOL:

Absent Without Leave

It's Absent Without Official Leave. Look it up.

Norma J 01.11.2008 08:54 PM

HAHA. Funny thread. It'd be even funnier if you were serious.

atsonicpark 01.12.2008 08:26 AM

Regarding the real fugazi: "The Argument" is a GREAT album. Double drums and all. The rest of their shit is pretty hit or miss. I think "13 Songs", for example, is terrible. But I really love the "Furniture" single.

batreleaser 01.12.2008 10:20 AM

i duno, i love all of fugazis records, i thought they were pretty fucking consistent

ZEROpumpkins 01.12.2008 11:53 PM

Read first post.

flophousefloozie 01.13.2008 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Regarding the real fugazi: "The Argument" is a GREAT album. Double drums and all. The rest of their shit is pretty hit or miss. I think "13 Songs", for example, is terrible. But I really love the "Furniture" single.

I really enjoy Instrument Soundtrack.

k-krack 01.13.2008 02:00 AM

I thought this was a serious thread at first...
scary thought.

Fugazi are one of my favourite bands of all-time. So fucking solid, and thye just got better with every album.

k-krack 01.13.2008 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flophousefloozie
I really enjoy Instrument Soundtrack.

Check out the album that lots/most of Instrument is from, End Hits.
Fucking great album.

atari 2600 01.13.2008 02:12 AM

Those posts about Instrument got me thinking and remembering. At the risk of pissing someone off for bragging or whatever or provoking thoughts that I think I'm better than someone else, I was at the world premiere of Instrument. Ian was incredibly nice and did a Q&A thing afterwards for as long if not longer than the movie. I'm not bragging, just something cool that happened. Some people may remember me writing about it before and think I'm pathetic.

uhler 01.13.2008 02:19 AM

fugazi was probably the greatest punk band of my era (sadly, black flag was before my time).

k-krack 01.13.2008 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
Those posts about Instrument got me thinking and remembering. At the risk of pissing someone off for bragging or whatever or provoking thoughts that I think I'm better than someone else, I was at the world premiere of Instrument. Ian was incredibly nice and did a Q&A thing afterwards for as long if not longer than the movie. I'm not bragging, just something cool that happened. Some people may remember me writing about it before and think I'm pathetic.

That's so awesome, dude.
I am hyper-jealous.

Norma J 01.13.2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600

That's awesome.

I saw the Evens last year in this old hall with lampshades as the only lighting and couches on stage etc. It was great. I spoke to Ian after the show, as did many other people, and he was extremely nice and was joking around the whole time. He was a super nice guy.