Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   GZA: Wu-Banger. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15772)

lovesonicevol 08.24.2007 09:08 PM

GZA: Wu-Banger.

I have never been the biggest hip-hop/rap fan...sure some Public Enemy, Grandmaster Flash, maybe some others (Dre). But after seeing GZA perform Liquid Swords at the Pitchfork bfore the Sonics, I was really impressed and looked into the Genius' work. I listened to LS a few times and was really satisfied by the anti-commercial hip-hop/rap message. Each song made rough by the RZA's masterful beats and scapes equalled no bad tracks. I checked out some of the Clans stuff and found 36 chambers to be rough and brilliant as well. It's not life changing but rather enjoyable. Anyone else like the GZA? Who atleast found themselves moving a little before the Sonics came on at Pitchfork? Maybe it was only Mary-Jane...but I do enjoy the disc!

vulva 08.24.2007 09:25 PM

I love most Wu-Tang related projects other than some Method Man/Redman productions....

You should definitely check out Ghostface Killah's Supreme Clientele.
Also, if you are starting to open up to some more rap, you might want to listen to MF Doom's MM..Food. I have a megaupload link of it ready, if you're interested

lovesonicevol 08.24.2007 10:08 PM

I'm interested for sure.

Bicorn Halfelven 08.24.2007 11:34 PM

Liquid Swords is hands down the best Wu solo record.

Also of note:

Ghostface's "Ironman"
Raekwon's "Only Built 4 Cuban Links"
RZA's "Bobby Digital"

demonrail666 08.25.2007 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicorn Halfelven
Liquid Swords is hands down the best Wu solo record.

Also of note:

Ghostface's "Ironman"
Raekwon's "Only Built 4 Cuban Links"
RZA's "Bobby Digital"

Personally put Cuban Links on a par with LS. Amazing stuff.

davenotdead 08.25.2007 12:21 PM

yeah im no hip-hop fan either....but damnit im down with wu-tang...and wu-tang is down with bill murray and life is good

Disgruntled Youth 08.25.2007 12:38 PM

O.D.B. Return to da 36 is by far one of the most original albums in hip hop so is O.D.B.

sun city girl 08.25.2007 04:11 PM

oh yeah, i love wu-tang clan!!! especially liquid swords, amazing album, but enter the 36 chambers is even better. other great wu-related albums:
ODB - return to 36 chambers, masta killa - no said date, raekwon - only built 4 cuban linx, method man - tical

etc.

timtimtim 08.25.2007 10:01 PM

I had a great time during GZA's set at pitchfork. I've heard some of the album and it's pretty good.
The only rap I've ever really gotten into though is the beastie boys and the roots

nomowish 08.27.2007 09:51 PM

Nice to know that GZA's getting some love. When I was in middle school my friends weren't totally into 'em. I remember them only liking "Shadowboxin" because of Method Man's guest spot. The instrumentals didn't hit 'em in the same way that Only Built did [which is understandable], and GZA didn't have the stage presence of Meth [of course he doesn't].

GZA's one of the straight dudes, like Masta Killah and Inspectah Deck. His delivery of lines is so clear and the lyrics themselves are nowhere near as slang-filled as Raekwon and Ghostface Killah. Read some interviews with the guy and it is very clear that he takes rhyme writing very seriously. The Source gave Liquid Swords 4 mics out of 5. His videos played on BET's Rap City [he even performed on 106 & Park!!!], but the radio stations [in South Florida] played not a single song from the record [I'm not surprised really].

But belated appreciation is better than none I guess. When exactly did people start reexamining this album?

Oh, the night I bought this record I took a bike ride from my home to Sam Goody. When I got home my mom was waiting outside for me because I was out so late. I hid the CD from her and told her that I had gone to see what the record store had in stock. Months or so ago my parents looked through my CD collection and were shocked by the violence of the cover art. They were supposed to listen to it, but they never did [why would I remind them?]

nomowish 08.27.2007 11:13 PM

Here's some interesting info I just found about Liquid Swords:

Link - http://www.suntimes.com/entertainmen...dero26.article

Jim DeRogatis: Why do you think that album so deeply connects with people?

GZA/Genius: I can't really speak for the fans, but one thing you might say is that the album does have a theme. It has the skits; the way RZA put the whole thing together after he was inspired by that movie, "Shogun," and the album cover was great: It was an idea that came from a chess game I was playing back in 1992 with Masta Killa, and the game was over and the pieces were still on the board in the checkmate position. I started to sketch out the board just the way it was, making people out of the pieces. Most people don't even know to this day that it's a game of chess for that album cover.

atsonicpark 06.05.2009 08:25 PM

whoa

Sonic Youth 37 06.05.2009 08:27 PM

Yeah, seeing GZA at Pitchfork really got me into the Wu.

noisereductions 06.05.2009 09:10 PM

I'd probably choose LS as best Wu solo album. Yeah.

PAULYBEE2656 06.06.2009 07:46 AM

bitchin!