Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Look at the instrument I'm making (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15435)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.10.2007 05:15 PM

Look at the instrument I'm making

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.10.2007 05:16 PM

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.10.2007 05:18 PM

It is gonna be a weird 4 string instrument with a built in chorus. You can either play it with a slide or by pushing down the strings behind the neck.

I got most of the construction done. All I have to do is paint it, assemble the resonant chamber/electronics hole, and do the electronics.

I'm doing it for a contest on a message board. If you know what contest I'm talking about, don't tell anyone. In fact, don't link to this (especially on guitar/ effect pedal message boards) until after sunday plz.

soapbars 08.10.2007 05:29 PM

i thought thats why you might have been building it,

looks like a alot of fun and i think the chorus is a nice touch,

good luck

king_buzzo 08.10.2007 05:31 PM

thats the shit.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 08.10.2007 05:33 PM

cool man.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.10.2007 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapbars
i thought thats why you might have been building it,

looks like a alot of fun and i think the chorus is a nice touch,

good luck

don't say anything on haunting mids about it, besides "julian let me see what he was making, and it looks awesome!"

soapbars 08.10.2007 06:01 PM

ha, thats alright i wasnt going to 'spill the beans' anyway

atsonicpark 08.10.2007 06:14 PM

that's awesome.

i'm taking an acoustic guitar with a broken neck (no matter what you play, it sounds really bendy like it's going out of tune, of course) and drill holes in the tuning peg holes and put in 6 bass strings with 6 banjo strings also in each hole.. so 12 strings combined.. and put in an electric guitar pickup in the soundhole..

Cardinal Rob 08.10.2007 06:45 PM

That's awesome. It's brilliant you have a brain for the science side, you do Harry Partch, Lord of all made-up instruments proud. Good luck.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.10.2007 07:01 PM

A few more pictures:

Painting in my boxers

Hari Kari Krishna (I'm gonna lighten up the blew later, I pile on paint.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.10.2007 07:01 PM

wow, I mispelled blue, I feel dumb

ZEROpumpkins 08.10.2007 07:27 PM

Awesome

StevOK 08.10.2007 10:42 PM

Could you describe the contest to me? If don't want to reveal the contest details publicly, PM me. This reminds me of a story my mom told me once of a class she took in college where they taught people how to find/record/analyze sound, and their final was to create a musical instrument.

k-krack 08.10.2007 10:59 PM

That's fucking rad, man! I've been meaning to start work on some kind of instrument, I'm not sure on what I want to make, though.

CHOUT 08.10.2007 11:09 PM

I wanna hear it.

ZEROpumpkins 08.10.2007 11:58 PM

When are you planning on adding it to your unholy hoard of guitars, CHOUT?

CHOUT 08.11.2007 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
When are you planning on adding it to your unholy hoard of guitars, CHOUT?

I wish...:o

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.11.2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevOK
Could you describe the contest to me? If don't want to reveal the contest details publicly, PM me. This reminds me of a story my mom told me once of a class she took in college where they taught people how to find/record/analyze sound, and their final was to create a musical instrument.

Effects pedal forum, it is private, but some people on here on it. Winner gets a Boss RC-2. Basically the contest is "make something DIY this weekend, tell us about it, pictures, etc."

I'm finishing it up today. I just got a new soldering Iron and some heavy duty DPDT switches. All I have to do is figure out the wiring, cut some pieces of clear plastic (for the back panel for battery changing) and cut holes for the 2 switches, and the quarter inch jack. I don't think that there is gonna be enough room to have the pots be exterior for the chorus, so I'm just gonna put it on a cool setting and have it be tweakable by opening up the back.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.11.2007 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT
I wish...:o

You know I could make you one. . .

I'll post clips as soon as I get the electronics wired later. I don't think I have any fresh 9vs right now and I am kind of hung over :cool:.