Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Opinions On New White Stripes Record? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14457)

dazedcola 07.03.2007 12:15 PM

Opinions On New White Stripes Record?

Well it came out last week and leaked sometime before that. What do you all think of Icky Thump? I personally love it, its a great mix of a bunch of white stripes styles. It definetly does retain that heavier raw sound from their debut just check out "little cream soda" or "bone broke".I really like all the song on the new record, well except for the scottish songs."You dont know what love is" has this great organ riff thats catchy as fuck and an amazing solo in it.I think this is one of their strongest records yet.Easily better than Get Behind Me Satan.

demonrail666 07.03.2007 05:28 PM

First time i listened to it I was a bit naaah. Now I like it a lot more. Like you though, I'm not into the bagpipe idea.

fishmonkey 07.03.2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazedcola
Well it came out last week and leaked sometime before that. What do you all think of Icky Thump? I personally love it, its a great mix of a bunch of white stripes styles. It definetly does retain that heavier raw sound from their debut just check out "little cream soda" or "bone broke".I really like all the song on the new record, well except for the scottish songs."You dont know what love is" has this great organ riff thats catchy as fuck and an amazing solo in it.I think this is one of their strongest records yet.Easily better than Get Behind Me Satan.

yeah i agree, i think its brilliant.

Glice 07.03.2007 06:23 PM

I haven't heard it, but it's shit.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 07.03.2007 06:24 PM

icky thump > get behind me satan

i really like the new album a whole lot

lungfish 07.03.2007 06:40 PM

saw them at Irving Plaza a couple of weeks back.
great new album. i have nothing against the "scottish" songs.
some people have problems with them but i think they're beautiful.

dionysusundone 07.03.2007 11:53 PM

I heard the first song today at work and had to turn it off, that shit was terrible.

sarramkrop 07.04.2007 04:06 AM

Here's a review of it, even though I haven't heard a single note:

The first track is complete cack and it leads into the second one that is even worse, but not as bad as the third one that made me stab the wall with a kitchen knife. By the fourth track I decided to venture outside on the street and punch random strangers, who in turns pushed me and grabbed me by the balls which I quite liked, but then anything would be better than listening to the rest of this piece of shit of an album.

Glice 07.04.2007 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop

The first track is complete cack and it leads into the second one that is even worse, but not as bad as the third one that made me stab the wall with a kitchen knife. By the fourth track I decided to venture outside on the street and punch random strangers, who in turns pushed me and grabbed me by the balls which I quite liked, but then anything would be better than listening to the rest of this piece of shit of an album.

Are you a fucking idiot? The first song is far worse than that, you effete prick.

atsonicpark 07.04.2007 01:57 PM

i can't believe people still talk about this band.

SynthethicalY 07.04.2007 01:58 PM

Going to get it soon.

m^a(t)h 07.04.2007 02:00 PM

all those secret shows they are having in canada, in school rooms and on buses, can i download them anywhere???

Torn Curtain 07.04.2007 02:47 PM

Each time I hear the White Stripes I think it's as if Jack White owned only one record, Led Zeppelin II.

Danny Himself 07.04.2007 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
Each time I hear the White Stripes I think it's as if Jack White owned only one record, Led Zeppelin II.

Strange. The White Stripes just remind me of Dex Romweber / Flat Duo Jets.

HaydenAsche 07.04.2007 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I haven't heard it, but it's shit.

What I was thinking.

youthoftomorrow 07.04.2007 08:58 PM

it isn't bad. "Conquest" is pretty sweet, but the rest is a bit meh.

sarramkrop 07.05.2007 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Are you a fucking idiot? The first song is far worse than that, you effete prick.

Do you like it to have your prickface stuck inbetween my legs? Nice feeling, isn't it?

vulva 07.05.2007 03:02 AM

unless it's the Steve Hoffman mastered vinyl, the album isn't listenable

matt74m 07.05.2007 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop

Excellent

matt74m 07.05.2007 09:01 AM

Think Icky Thump is the best thing they've done a while. Their first album was excellent, then they slowly got worse until they bottomed out at Get Behind Me Satan.

Still, good album.