Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Classic Albums #6: Siamese Dream by Smashing Pumpkins (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14402)

gmku 07.02.2007 09:59 AM

Classic Albums #6: Siamese Dream by Smashing Pumpkins

Every time I finish listening to this album, I feel like I love everyone. Including Porkie and the grumpy old man next door. Love's Forever Changes has the same effect on me. I think both albums are about the most perfect statements on universal love that I've ever heard in music.

sarramkrop 07.02.2007 10:11 AM

When are people going to move forward, I ask? Just a little will do.

Danny Himself 07.02.2007 10:15 AM

Iha is most definitely rocking on his album.

"Cherub Rock" and "Rocket" are my favorites.

gmku 07.02.2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
When are people going to move forward, I ask? Just a little will do.

I refuse to budge.

gmku 07.02.2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Iha is most definitely rocking on his album.

"Cherub Rock" and "Rocket" are my favorites.

Yeah. I know this is weird, but the whole first side reminds me of the tormented vampire, Louis, in Interview with the Vampire (the book Louis, not the Brad Pitt version). I was reading the book at the time I first heard Siamese Dream, but for some reason I connected sentiments in those first four songs or so with the character's feelings. I can't say why exactly anymore though.

Rob Instigator 07.02.2007 10:30 AM

*no comment*

gmku 07.02.2007 10:36 AM

Give it a chance, Rob. Siamese Dream wants to be your friend.

screamingskull 07.02.2007 10:36 AM

Siamese Dream is my favourite Smashing Pumpkins record.

king_buzzo 07.02.2007 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Every time I finish listening to this album, I feel like I love everyone. Including Porkie and the grumpy old man next door. Love's Forever Changes has the same effect on me. I think both albums are about the most perfect statements on universal love that I've ever heard in music.

same, its a great album!

Danny Himself 07.02.2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull

Mine's Mellon Collie.., it has such lovely acoustic songs.

AND get your behind on msn plz.

king_buzzo 07.02.2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull

yea, yeah, me too.

pantophobia 07.02.2007 10:46 AM

their best, the production on it is quite flawless, and it doesn't dip like some of the low spots on Mellon Collie (which i think could have better then this one, but 28 songs is too many to expect every single one to be good)

gmku 07.02.2007 10:46 AM

I also really like Gish. I have to admit, SD is where I left the Pumpkins, though. Their catalog post-SD just doesn't do it for me.

king_buzzo 07.02.2007 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
I also really like Gish. I have to admit, SD is where I left the Pumpkins, though. Their catalog post-SD just doesn't do it for me.

Gish is awesome, there are some good bass lines on that one.

gmku 07.02.2007 10:50 AM

Yeah, Gish has an Eastern Indian vibe I like.

Cardinal Rob 07.02.2007 11:23 AM

Siamese really is transcendental. I got it when I was eleven, I recall. I suppose it's one of the few things since then I've stuck with loving (sorry, Linkin Park). I recently gave it a place on my mp3 player to assure even more plays. Each song earns at least eight out of ten.

LittlePuppetBoy 07.02.2007 11:33 AM

I love it! One of my favourites. Long live Silverfuck!

Bicorn Halfelven 07.02.2007 11:43 AM

This record makes my top five records of all time.

The lush production, outerspace guitarring, fuckin' outta this world guittaring... I love Billy Corgan. I don't really care much for everything after this record, but Siamese Dream is divine.

Peices Iscariot is almost as good. It contains "Starla", my favorite Pumpkins moment (the second being "Drown" from the Singles soundtrack), as well as some of my other SP faves.

Good shit.

Don't sleep on PI.

jon boy 07.02.2007 11:54 AM

its certainly no classic.

StevOK 07.02.2007 12:04 PM

One of my favorite records. I like Mellon Collie more, but it's my favorite album of all time, so...
Soma, Cherub Rock, Quiet, Silverfuck, all sorts of good stuff. Even the more acoustic stuff is great, Disarm was the very first song I ever learned how to play and sing at the same time.