Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   John or Paul? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12971)

demonrail666 05.06.2007 07:13 PM

John or Paul?

I know those Beatles haters will say neither. I also acknowledge that they ultimately complimented one another's talents. But where, ultimately, do you tend to pitch your tent - so to speak.

I tend to find Lennon's solo career far more satisfying (albeit forgivably much shorter) than McCartney's and know that, even while in the Beatles, Macca could get a little overly whimsical. But he could also write stuff like Hey Jude and The Long And Winding Road. He was also exploring and supporting the avant-garde LONG before Lennon. So, for what it's worth, I'm a staunch Macca man.

Dead-Air 05.06.2007 08:00 PM

George. Martin, that is.

atari 2600 05.06.2007 08:10 PM

John

Everyneurotic 05.06.2007 08:15 PM

yoko

atsonicpark 05.06.2007 08:31 PM

elvis.

Silent Dan Speaks 05.06.2007 09:28 PM

John. Plastic Ono Band is one of my favorite cds and I like his voice more.

I also don't like The Long and Winding Road.

waltercarson 05.06.2007 09:47 PM

Between the two, Lennon. But i'd agree w/ everyneurotic & take Yoko over all
of 'em.

nature scene 05.06.2007 10:02 PM

i like paul more, but only when he was in the beatles

lungfish 05.06.2007 10:52 PM

hard to pick. they're both of great stature, in every sense of the word.
george is my personal favorite beatle.

krastian 05.07.2007 12:24 AM

John, you silly goose.

pbradley 05.07.2007 12:32 AM

After my Beatles phase, it was straight to John. Never cared to listen to any Paul McCartney.

So, John.

StevOK 05.07.2007 01:07 AM

I like them equally. They're just too different for a comparison. Paul seems to get stuck in my head more, but I've always felt a closer connection to John's music. And George wrote a lot of my favorite Beatles songs.

jonathan 05.07.2007 02:16 AM

I like John's heart. I like Paul's mind.

I'm torn.

Hip Priest 05.07.2007 04:31 AM

Everything about John beats everything about Paul.

Paul strikes me as a bit of a strange character, too keen on taking things in his own faulty direction. On the other hand, John was a man truly inspired. Whereas Paul's world contains distortion and unworkable rules, John's world demonstrates glory and love.

PAULYBEE2656 05.07.2007 05:10 AM

john over paul. ob la di ob la da, frog chorus, mull of fucking kintyre, ebony and ivory...... vs working classhero, imagine, day in the life..................

time and a place for paul and i do really feel for him recently with the whole heather legless mills thing. paul did the rightthing and sat back and didnt get involved in the media shenanigans that mills attempted to wage.... i mean, he found love again after linda only for it to turn out to be a total whackjob

im going on because im not sure if this is about the beatles or about their life in general..... john certainly in solo career, john certainly in beatles.....

pbradley 05.07.2007 05:53 AM

John Paul II

demonrail666 05.07.2007 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Everything about John beats everything about Paul.

Paul strikes me as a bit of a strange character, too keen on taking things in his own faulty direction. On the other hand, John was a man truly inspired. Whereas Paul's world contains distortion and unworkable rules, John's world demonstrates glory and love.

what were these unworkable rules you mention regarding Paul?

afterthefact 05.07.2007 08:17 AM

I'm glad to see there are no Yoko haters here, at least so far. I'm sick of people saying she broke up the beatles. Fact is, they needed to break up. They were all getting different ideas, and it was good for them to go their separate ways to explore these. And people always act like she just piggy backed on John to get a name. But this isn't true; she was already becoming notorious on the New York avant garde/fluxus scene. If anything, John held her back. She could have been much bigger, but she ended up (in most people's opinion anyways) being in John's shadow all of the time. Not that it mattered too much to her I would guess, since the only people who DO actually believe she broke up the beatles would be the easy listeners, not the people who were actually following them. But still, it's been hard for her to shake that off.

demonrail666 05.07.2007 08:23 AM

Yes, when Yoko was in London around the time she met John, she had her own career, money, following, respect. Although generally considered (even by friends) to be a 'difficult' person - her connection with John was seen by many as more of a result of Lennon's increased enthusiasm for the avant-garde than any attention/money grabbing antics on her part.

MellySingsDoom 05.07.2007 08:29 AM

I still think that Yoko's "Fly" and the "Plastic Ono Band" LP are the best things that John Lennon was ever involved in.