Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Circle Takes the Square (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1170)

Confusion is Dante 04.22.2006 10:47 AM

Circle Takes the Square

Anyone listen to this band? I'm infatuated with their sound.....which is extremely hard to describe.
Their music is very aggressive at times, and very serene at times. The influences I hear in their music range from hardcore to classical, to free-flowing jazz.
All of their lyrics is pure poetry.........
I highly recommend this band to anyone with a taste for unusual music......In a way, they are similar to Sonic Youth in the fact that they defy categorization........
If you haven't heard them......look them up.
If you have........what do you think???

Gulasch Noir 04.22.2006 10:50 AM

The first album by them i listened to was alotus - and i was blown away. It's a fucking masterpiece. I listened to 2, 3 other albums, but i didn't like them as much. What are albums by circle that come up with the same energy as alotus? I think i liked the repetitve style a lot.

Gulasch Noir 04.22.2006 10:51 AM

just realized you may be talking about a different band. meus culpus.

Everyneurotic 04.22.2006 10:52 AM

Gulasch: he means a band called "circle takes the square"

i haven't heard them, though

Confusion is Dante 04.22.2006 10:55 AM

I don't know if we're talking about the same band, Gulasch.....
Circle Takes The Square has one EP, one LP........and they did a split EP with a band called Pg.99.
EP is self titled.
LP is called 'As the Roots Undo'........

nomadicfollower 04.22.2006 10:56 AM

Circle Takes the Square (often abbreviated CTTS) is a mathcore/post-hardcore band from Savannah, Georgia, USA. The band formed in 2001 as a four piece and after their first two releases they lost a guitarist but gained another in late 2004. What listeners tend to notice first about the band is the loud screaming of both male and female vocals that often function in a kind of call and response. Skillful, chaotic drumming coupled with intense, highly technical bass/guitar work have served to separate the band from most others in the genre. Highly diverse song structures (from meditative, droning intros to crushing choruses) have also assisted in carving their unique niche. The band completed a tour of the UK in mid-2004. The band has done a lot of West Coast tours, and is currently doing a West Coast tour (as of February 2006).

They sound like they could be good.
Any chance of a YSI?
Or are there songs on their official website?

Confusion is Dante 04.22.2006 11:01 AM

At their website......you can watch footage from shows, but the sound quality isn't that good. If you download from Limewire, or any other file-sharing programs.....you'd be sure to find at least a few by them....
I may be able to YSI some samples.........

nomadicfollower 04.22.2006 11:18 AM

Don't like it all. Sounds to much like metal. I hate metal music.

Johan 04.22.2006 11:21 AM

Awesome band... portraits of past is better though

Confusion is Dante 04.22.2006 11:27 AM

Portraits of Past?
I'll have to check them out........

Confusion is Dante 04.22.2006 12:52 PM

I'm liking Portraits of Past's music, Johan........The vocals are buried, though. I'm listening to 'Implications of a Sinkhole Personality'........Are all their vocals buried underthe music???
I'm finding the same to be true about 'Snicker, Snicker'........
I'm just totally in love with Circle Takes the Square......

Confusion is Dante 05.14.2006 04:26 PM

Shit! I guess nobody likes this band but me......
Everybody should like this band.

HaydenAsche 05.14.2006 04:27 PM

Meh. Boring band.

Confusion is Dante 05.14.2006 04:38 PM

How so?? How are they boring???
I like the way they throw jazz, math rock, and classical influences into their otherwise hardcore sound. Male/female vocalists that spiral around each other from time to time.............

HaydenAsche 05.14.2006 05:35 PM

It just isn't interesting. I can play hardcore with a drum machine and that isn't interesting. Same goes for mixing any two genres just to seem 'innovative'.

Listen to the Chariot instead. Way better 'hardcore' band.

atsonicpark 05.14.2006 07:28 PM

Decent.