Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   300 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11610)

youthoftomorrow 03.24.2007 01:55 AM

i just saw it tonight and, holy crap, is it awesome. my friends and i have been quoting lines from it all night.

fishmonkey 03.24.2007 05:03 AM

i think i might make a point of seeing it this weekend, i've been waiting for a long time to see it...

"tonight, we dine in hell"

Trasher02 03.24.2007 05:41 AM

The movie didn't interest me. My brother and some friends are going to see it tonight. I'll rent it sometime.

ALIEN ANAL 03.24.2007 05:49 AM

so you havnt seen it trasher?

Alex's Trip 03.24.2007 10:44 AM

When I see the preview, all I see is a bunch of green screen effects and violence to make up for a crappy movie. I won't be seeing it.

SynthethicalY 03.24.2007 10:46 AM

I've heard is good. But the one I really want to see is Zodiac.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 03.24.2007 10:47 AM

its okay, good visual film

Richard Pryor on Fire 03.24.2007 10:52 AM

I love Frank Miller. I didn't like 300 at all, it was trying to cash in on Sin City by imitating a lot of it's style. The acting was terrible and over the top. The violence wasn't even cool. The whole movie looked like it should of been a forgettable videogame.

Alex's Trip 03.24.2007 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
I've heard is good. But the one I really want to see is Zodiac.

The only survivor of the Zodiac murders lives somewhere in my town. I think...

king_buzzo 03.24.2007 12:15 PM

I wanna see it.

floatingslowly 03.24.2007 12:21 PM

as a history freak, I just want to see 300 spartans beat on a legion of scarey masked persians in the Thermopylae bottleneck!

children, let this be a lesson to you. bravery and superior tactics earn you fat movie deals IN THE FUTURE!

StevOK 03.24.2007 12:53 PM

It kicked ass.

I love the smartass dialogues that Leonidas has.

Does it disturb anyone else that Sparta had a giant pit full of dead babies?

dietzer123 03.24.2007 01:43 PM

300 was not that good. i liken it to sublime. the cinematography and shit was cool, just the way sublimes melodies were pretty awesome. however the dialogue was so mind numbingly awful it sucked all the goodness from the movie, kinda how sublimes lyrics ruined their music

nicfit 03.24.2007 02:52 PM

ha! dietzer123 is quite right. But, like for sin city, don't forget that the lines are taken from the graphic novel, most of them with no changes/adjustments at all. The best lines are the ones written on purpose for the movie.
But, seriously, it's mostly a pure visual "exercise" (and the battles scenes are really amazing, and not just because "yeeeeeeeeeeeah blood!", but because of the way those are concieved and shot). I'm not sure about "it was trying to cash in on Sin City by imitating a lot of it's style" (richard pryor on fire). Imo it's actually quite different from sin city, starting from the simple fact that, as you probably noticed, here there are COLOURS!!! YAAAAYYYyyyy! colours! Sin City "graphic" appeal (both for comic/movie) was the great use of BW, here the director (and Miller himself in his graphic novel) used a really different style, you can obviously recognize similarities, but the overall appearance is not that similar. All in all, don't expect a "life changing" experience it's just entertainment beautifully visualized.

floatingslowly 03.24.2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel
spartacus. reet, i took leather wrist bands from it. fuck this attack of the sober people

although you might as well be speaking greek (pun intended), I'm totally putting that in my sig.

rock on with yr bad self.

atari 2600 03.24.2007 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
When I see the preview, all I see is a bunch of green screen effects and violence to make up for a crappy movie. I won't be seeing it.

Good call, I won't be either. It looks horrible.

I think it's funny though that the Iranian government has denounced the movie because the bad guys are called "Persians." Of course, modern-day Iran was formerly Persia. The good guys in the movie are Ancient Greek Spartans.

It seems like the true story of the Masada, only set in Ancient Greek times instead of Ancient Hebrew times.
On the subject of astounding Hebrew military victories though, the Masada isn't even the topper. Joshua and his men survived in the no-man's land of valleys vastly outnumbered and surrounded by enemies for years and years and survived. They would make sure to engage the enemy only from an uphill position and force the enemy to fight them coming uphill. What's more, Joshua, easily the greatest guerilla warfare commander in military history, brilliantly timed the engagements to occur at a particular time in the afternoon when the sunlight would be shining directly into the eyes of their opponents. After his many conquests, it is Joshua's subsequent division of the Holy Land that still to this day causes much of the public reason given for the incessant feuding and war in the Middle East, but of course, it was King David who subsequently set up Jerusalem in his conquests.

youthoftomorrow 03.24.2007 09:16 PM

i'm actually going to see it again in a few hours.

floatingslowly 03.24.2007 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
It seems like the true story of the Masada, only set in Ancient Greek times instead of Ancient Hebrew times.

the numbers were about the same, but the people of Masada really had no way of fighting back against the Romans. the only thing they had going for them was the fortress itself (which was impenetrable). the Romans just sat around while the people starved.

the battles this movie portrays are of 300 spartans that held off 300,000 of Xerxes' best for 3 days. that's like getting 900,000 points in Robotron!!! :eek:

max 03.24.2007 09:34 PM

what atari said, he said it best.

crappy movies of '00... will this fucking thing ever end? INLAND EMPIRE all the way, peeps.

nature scene 03.24.2007 10:11 PM

I liked it more than I liked sin city. It was cooler than I thought it would be.