Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   suggest a yo la tengo album (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11061)

timtimtim 03.06.2007 11:06 PM

suggest a yo la tengo album

I'm about to order some stuff off of amazon and am going to get a yo la tengo album.
I have elctr-o-pura, prisoners of love and may i sing with me.
what are your suggestions.

TheDom 03.06.2007 11:19 PM

I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One

afterthefact 03.06.2007 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDom

nice. just about to recommend that one myself.

Silent Dan Speaks 03.06.2007 11:57 PM

I have I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One and I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass and they're both great.

I Can Hear.....is better though.

afterthefact 03.06.2007 11:59 PM

I have an instrumental album they did also that is in my opinion is amazing, but it's in the car and I can't remember the name...

timtimtim 03.07.2007 12:24 AM

I had forgotten that i have I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass and it is awesome.
Thanks for the suggestions!

krastian 03.07.2007 01:24 AM

And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out is my favorite.

Dead-Air 03.07.2007 02:11 AM

It depends what you're looking for. If you want their best Sonic Youth/My Bloody Valentine influenced guitar rock album, it's all about Electro-Purra (which is not to say it's copy cat, it isn't, but it does fit that genre of pretty sounding weird tuned guitar pop.) But you know that, because you have that one.

If you want the missing link between the rock group and the mellower rock improv-jazz crossover then I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One is a great record that delivers.

And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out is a completely unique achievement, but you better want quiet. Hard to believe that it comes from a band to grow out of the post-punk noise-rock scene. It really is a great album that's all Yo La Tengo and not like anybody else.

Summer Sun is kind of more of the same, but a bit more pop - earcandyish. I really like that one a lot too. It didn't get the same amount of critical acclaim, but a few of the songs, most notably "Tiny Birds" stay with me more personally.

'Beat Your Ass is great too though I haven't spent enough time listening to it all the way through to really say much about it as a complete record.

king_buzzo 03.07.2007 03:19 AM

i only have may i sing with me and the other one with the dinosaur skeleton on the cover.

_slavo_ 03.07.2007 03:33 AM

How about Painful? It's definitely my favourite one.

Tanzende Schauspieler 03.07.2007 04:15 AM

maaaan,

i luv them all!

but, to pick one, I'd go for I can hear the heart beating as one...it's classy.

Gulasch Noir 03.07.2007 10:17 AM

Painful
And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out
Summer Sun
Rocket # 9 (7")
you already have one of my favorites (may i sing with me)

After Summer Sun I really looked forward to the next albums by them, but they dissappointed me. (I think it has been two they released since Summer Sun)

Iain 03.07.2007 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
I have an instrumental album they did also that is in my opinion is amazing, but it's in the car and I can't remember the name...

I think that one was called The Sounds of the Sounds of Science and it was a soundtrack to some undersea documentaries by some French dude I think.

jagger 03.07.2007 03:36 PM

And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out - if only for the cover.

drrrtyboots 03.07.2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
How about Painful? It's definitely my favourite one.

he's correct. it's the most like electr-o-pura i'd say.

Everyneurotic 03.07.2007 08:27 PM

just so i suggest something different, the sounds of the sounds of science is very amazing but also very different from what you expect from yo la.

deathbyfeedback 03.07.2007 10:03 PM

and then nothing turned itself inside out

contrelefuckingsexisme 03.07.2007 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDom

that's it.

!@#$%! 03.07.2007 11:42 PM

add nuclear war, which is a great single, in various versions, i mean an ep?