Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Musicians that turn you off just because every generic hipster loves them (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8033)

Peterpuff 05.06.2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
Claypool, the followers are all frat boys, at least the couple times I bothered seeing him

This made me cry...

Severian 05.06.2019 07:49 PM

Vampire Weekend until I heard Modern Vampires of the City and stopped giving a fuck

Kanye West (seriously) until I really gave him a chance and listened to the music

Car Seat Headrest, but it’s never really been possible for me to be annoyed by a kid who makes such badass music.

The Gazpacho Gestapo 05.07.2019 10:04 PM

Sonic Youth suicskl

Peterpuff 05.09.2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gazpacho Gestapo
Sonic Youth suicskl

/wins thread

_tunic_ 06.23.2019 06:59 AM

Nirvana :)
I liked Nevermind when it came out, but then literally everybody on the entire planet liked it and I started to dislike it because the entire planet liked it. And I never liked any of the later albums at all.
The other day there was this girl on the bus probably early twenties in a Nivana smiley T-shirt and I thought "How can you wear that shirt if you've never seen them live? You weren't even born"

d.sound 06.23.2019 11:17 AM

I love a lot of bands I have never seen live, living and dead. I don't go to shows that cost more than 20 bucks. Excepter don't tour and live in NYC. I love a lot of bands from other countries. Can't do anything about a person being dead.

You only wear t-shirts of bands you've seen live?

_tunic_ 06.23.2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d.sound
I love a lot of bands I have never seen live, living and dead. I don't go to shows that cost more than 20 bucks. Excepter don't tour and live in NYC. I love a lot of bands from other countries. Can't do anything about a person being dead.

You only wear t-shirts of bands you've seen live?

Yes. I know it's a stupid rule but I'm sticking with it. I only buy merch at concerts as a souvenir. Except the Oiseaux Tempete shirt I got from their bandcamp. But that was because they weren't selling them at their show.

d.sound 06.23.2019 05:41 PM

Yeah that is weird. Come to think of it though shows are the only place I buy band shirts.

The only band shirt I can think of owning where I never saw them live... Was nirvana, lol.

I had a sonic youth shirt before I saw them but I remedied that asap. First real concert i saw upon adulthood was traveling to dc in 2000 for a 2 nighter sy/Stereolab.

d.sound 06.23.2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Vampire Weekend

I saw them open for Dirty Projectors in like 05 or 06 before either of them had any real recognition. After Getty Address.*

I thought they suuuuuuuuuuuuuccckkkkked. I didn't get it. Then in less than a year they were on SNL. No comprendo.

* Speaking of, I thought they went downhill (off a cliff) after their Black Flag record.

Modest Mouse turned to garbage after Moon and Antarctica.

I think I start to dislike bands less because they became popular, and more because they lost the muse.

For example, I fucking LOVE Charli XCX. Sing along pop songs with Autechre beats? Yes, please.

Toilet & Bowels 06.24.2019 07:48 AM

In an Aeroplane Over the Sea os one of the most overrated records ever. Dusk at Cubist Castle aside everthing I've heard from Elephant 6 is either boring or dog shit.

The Gazpacho Gestapo 06.24.2019 10:08 PM

whatever the the hell sup nuzy likeesten too

Peterpuff 06.25.2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d.sound

Modest Mouse turned to garbage after Moon and Antarctica.

True 'dat

Savage Clone 06.25.2019 05:48 PM

That band was never good.

!@#$%! 06.25.2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
That band was never good.

it wasn’t that terrible either. you could listen to it on a long drive and laugh a little and stay awake for another hour.

but yeah i wouldn’t donate a pint of blood to listen again or anything.

Savage Clone 06.25.2019 06:03 PM

For me, that one and the aforementioned neutral milk hotel have some of the most irritating vocalists ever to vocalize. I never really understood why people didn't find them immediately abrasive. Plus the songs aren't that great. there are quite a few bands that I don't like whose success I understand but those two really escape me.

!@#$%! 06.25.2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
some of the most irritating vocalists ever to vocalize.

i thought that was joanna newsom!or satomi?

you must have a long list of musical enemies... :D

d.sound 06.25.2019 08:06 PM

I always hated NMH.
I thought Isaac Brock could write some amusing lyrics. Lonesome Crowded West was good but I haven't listened to them in over a decade.

Joanna Newsom's Milk Eyed Mender is legitimately good. The one after though... Can't remember what the title was... I thought its popularity was an elaborate joke. I found it was a good barometer of pretentiousness if someone said they liked it. And fucking Van Dyke Parks did arrangements! Sad. Song Cycle and Discover America are brilliant.

!@#$%! 06.25.2019 08:27 PM

Ys? i like Ys. seriously. even bought the fucking vinyl!

go ahead, laugh :D

d.sound 06.26.2019 12:20 AM

No offense. I just didn't get it. It was like renaissance? The arrangements were bizarre, even for me. Up and down and all over the place. It made me dizzy.

I liked the simplicity of the first one.

Savage Clone 06.26.2019 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i thought that was joanna newsom!or satomi?

you must have a long list of musical enemies... :D

I definitely have a bad reaction to her voice but in her case I can see that she is actually extremely talented and it's an issue of taste on my part. I guess I get why she has fans but I'm not one of them. There's quite a few people on that deal-breaker voice list for me I guess.
Tom Waits, Kate Bush, Bjork, etc. I wouldn't put modest mouse in that league though; just the annoying voice part. Still basically an issue of taste on my part, yes. But without the same level of deference, perhaps.