Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mike Patton (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=26563)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 10.08.2008 09:19 PM

Mike Patton

What albums featuring him are good? Never really got into Mr. Bungle/Faith No More, but I was watching some Mr. Bungle and Tomahawk stuff on youtube the other day and I dig some of it, though Mike Patton's eclectic style takes some of the stuff into unfamiliar territory to me (he's a bit more metal and modern rock than I'm used to, if you know what I mean.)

atsonicpark 10.08.2008 09:23 PM

Disco Volante or California by Mr. Bungle, Director's Cut by Fantomas, Kaada/Patton "Romances" album.

Everything else is VERY hit or miss. Usually miss. He sucks. Uh.. Tomahawk sucks, Faith No More usually sucks (I like "Angel Dust"), Peeping Tom SUCKS, etc. His solo recordings are terrible. Loveage is TERRIBLE, probably the worst. His collaboration with the X-Ecutioners is terrible.

The thing with Patton, he works with very talented people. As good as Mr. bungle is, I'd MUCH rather listen to Secret Chiefs 3. I used to be a big Patton fan -- well, I appreciated him a lot more, but his thing is, he just works with talented people and rips off John Zorn for most of his better ideas anyway.

But definitely you can't do wrong with getting Disco Volante and California, which are jaw-droppingly brilliant.. usually.

ZEROpumpkins 10.08.2008 09:38 PM

Yeah what Adam said, really. Especially Disco Volante.

canabero 10.08.2008 09:39 PM

oh, Disco volante, awesome album!

ZEROpumpkins 10.08.2008 09:48 PM

Yeah too bad it's one of the very few things that Patton has done that are good, though I wouldn't call him a John Zorn rip off.

batreleaser 10.08.2008 09:56 PM

i sorta like that album with ikue mori and zorn. never have desire to listen to it. "director's cut" is ok. "disco volante" is phenoenal.

StevOK 10.08.2008 09:58 PM

The other day I downloaded Music to Make Love to Your Old Woman By by Lovage, but I haven't listened to it yet.

All of the Fantomas albums I've ever listened to were amazing.

I need to download Disco Volante.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 10.08.2008 10:19 PM

From the 2 tomahawk songs I heard, I didn't gather that they sucked. There were some things I liked, but some odd moments as well. Like how he goes from singing like the guy from Fields of Nephilim to singing like David Lee Roth in one song. I'm not sure why.

atsonicpark 10.08.2008 10:26 PM

I dunno, Tomahawk just bores the shit out of me. Really lazy songs. There are some really tight rhythms here and there but it just doesn't strike me as anything special. And Patton is the worst part of the band.

Zeropumpkins, what I meant by Zorn ripoff was that the entire Fantomas project resembles Zorn projects... Naked City for the more crazier stuff, Zorn's The Big Gun Down and Film Works series for Director's Cut, and that ambient album (Delirium Cordia) could be any number of Zorn's albums as well (not just because it's ambient but because of certain moments in the recording). I don't think he's an outright copy or steal... I just think he has done a shitty job, um, "reinterpreting" some of Zorn's finer ideas with that band. No biggy. People can listen to and enjoy both, and that's good. I do love Director's Cut, though it's essentially just "part of the actual film score followed by a thrash part" in most songs... still, really good music. The craziesr Fantomas albums suck, especially the one that's a soundtrack to a comic book. Some cool rhythms and stuff here and there but as a whole it's pretty bad. I dunno, I like songs to actually do something I guess instead of display "oh look we can pan a cymbal in one speaker and mike patton going 'cha cha ha!' in the other speaker for 2 minutes." Maybe I'm weird. Or I'm just not impressed easily by that kind of shit. Really, when you have a Melvin and someone from Slayer and Trevor fucking Dunn in your band, you should be writing masterpieces...

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 10.08.2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I dunno, Tomahawk just bores the shit out of me. Really lazy songs. There are some really tight rhythms here and there but it just doesn't strike me as anything special. And Patton is the worst part of the band.

I can see that

tw2113 10.08.2008 11:19 PM

I used to be into most of his stuff, and have a lot of it purchased, but I can't say I really listen to any of it a lot lately.

Inhuman 10.08.2008 11:22 PM

"omgz Im a pompous music asshole" -Patton

atsonicpark 10.08.2008 11:25 PM

Good record label though.

ZEROpumpkins 10.08.2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

Zeropumpkins, what I meant by Zorn ripoff was that the entire Fantomas project resembles Zorn projects... Naked City for the more crazier stuff, Zorn's The Big Gun Down and Film Works series for Director's Cut, and that ambient album (Delirium Cordia) could be any number of Zorn's albums as well (not just because it's ambient but because of certain moments in the recording). I don't think he's an outright copy or steal... I just think he has done a shitty job, um, "reinterpreting" some of Zorn's finer ideas with that band. No biggy. People can listen to and enjoy both, and that's good. I do love Director's Cut, though it's essentially just "part of the actual film score followed by a thrash part" in most songs... still, really good music. The craziesr Fantomas albums suck, especially the one that's a soundtrack to a comic book. Some cool rhythms and stuff here and there but as a whole it's pretty bad. I dunno, I like songs to actually do something I guess instead of display "oh look we can pan a cymbal in one speaker and mike patton going 'cha cha ha!' in the other speaker for 2 minutes." Maybe I'm weird. Or I'm just not impressed easily by that kind of shit. Really, when you have a Melvin and someone from Slayer and Trevor fucking Dunn in your band, you should be writing masterpieces...

I see your point but I must say I really like the first Fantomas album. Delirium Cordia I don't really have the time for though. And yes, Trevor Dunn is an amazing bass player.

atsonicpark 10.08.2008 11:47 PM

it's not funny! my ass is on fire!

ZEROpumpkins 10.09.2008 12:31 AM

I'm still pretty sure that song is about STD's

Norma J 10.09.2008 12:40 AM

I've got abit of most of the bands hes been in, but I've never loved any of it. Faith No More probably my preferred. and Tomahawk are probably the most interesting along with FNM when they're at they're peak. Helmet drumming, Jesus Lizard guitar, and whoever the other guy is I can't remember, nice line-up there.

atsonicpark 10.09.2008 12:43 AM

The other guy was a cow.

ZEROpumpkins 10.09.2008 12:46 AM

And Melvin at one stage.

atsonicpark 10.09.2008 12:47 AM

yes.

I think he's not in tomahawk either now.