Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   the official zappa vs. beefheart thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=27619)

lechaoscestmoi 11.05.2008 05:04 AM

the official zappa vs. beefheart thread

34069340fkg

atsonicpark 11.05.2008 06:26 AM

You're kidding, right?

Beefheart by a billion miles.

wellcharge 11.05.2008 06:37 AM

zappa is so much better than beefheart it's ridiculous, of course beefheart will get 90% of this poll

Onani Nic 11.05.2008 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
zappa is so much better than beefheart it's ridiculous, of course beefheart will get 90% of this poll

Why is Zappa so much better? Just wondering why you think this, cause I've always found him kind of annoying.

noisereductions 11.05.2008 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge

you are correct, sir.

noisereductions 11.05.2008 08:12 AM

OK wait, I dnt even know if Zappa's better to be honest. Because I listen to a lot of Zappa, and I've only heard one Beefheart album (SAFE AS MILK y'all). So who knows. But I "prefer" Zappa at this point, because I listen to him.

wellcharge 11.05.2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onani Nic
Why is Zappa so much better? Just wondering why you think this, cause I've always found him kind of annoying.

ok...so he's kind of annoying, but he's written several hundred awesome songs,that counts for alot in my book

atsonicpark 11.05.2008 08:27 AM

Several HUNDRED? I doubt that. Either way, he's written several hundred awful songs as well. He also has released more shitty albums than almost any artist I can think of -- 3 discs of nothing but guitar solos may just be so random, off-the-wall example, but I think it's a good indication of his quality control. Don't get me wrong, Zappa was brilliant -- but he's nowhere in the same league as Beefheart. Really, it's difficult to even compare the two.. I just think Zappa had more of a brilliance encompassing everything... album art, his movies, stage performances, etc. But when it comes down to JUST music, Beefheart is easily superior. Literally nothing sounded ANYTHING like Beefheart when he came out -- you could say the same for Zappa but I don't think he turned rock upside down like Beefheart. Beefheart is probably the most important musical composer (note that he calls his songs "compositions" and not songs) since Harry Partch.

Seriously, name a Zappa song half as brilliant as "Sheriff of Hong Kong", "1010th of the Human Totem Pole", "Suction Prints", "Steal Softly Thru Snow", "Ella Guru", "Electricity", etc etc etc etc etc... Beefheart is probably the only modern musician who is deservedly called a genius.

Either way, please don't make uninformed votes, everyone. If all you've heard is "Safe As Milk" or whatever, you don't even know what Beefheart is about.

noisereductions 11.05.2008 08:33 AM

yeah but the question is who do you "prefer", not who's better.

atsonicpark 11.05.2008 08:34 AM

Sure, but wellcharge is the one throwing "Better" in the mix. But, yeah, sure, I prefer the better one; either way...

noisereductions 11.05.2008 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Sure, but wellcharge is the one throwing "Better" in the mix. But, yeah, sure, I prefer the better one; either way...

hahahaha

batreleaser 11.05.2008 09:28 AM

retarded poll

Pookie 11.05.2008 09:28 AM

Let's hope the statistic of a stupidity level of 24% has improved since last time

SYRFox 11.05.2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Beefheart is probably the only modern musician who is deservedly called a genius.

Quote:

If you can't get into Boredoms, I find that kinda odd. But oh well. One of the best bands ever, of course, but I guess .. um .. well, I dunno. If it doesn't do it for you, it doesn't do it for you. Whatever. Me, personally, I'd consider them the only band currently around that can probably rightfully be considered GENIUS.

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...edoms+g enius

uh.

Pookie 11.05.2008 09:34 AM

Stalker.

SYRFox 11.05.2008 09:37 AM

Nope, but for some reason I can remember pretty well what people say on message board. Some folk on a french site used to think I took notes of what people said

noisereductions 11.05.2008 09:39 AM

yikes.

Pookie 11.05.2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
I always write down what folk say so I can stalk more affectively.

I remember also.

SYRFox 11.05.2008 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
I remember also.

sarramkrop 11.05.2008 10:00 AM

On our way from Stockholm
Started to snow
And you said it was like Christmas
But you were wrong
It wasn't like Christmas at all

By the time we got to Oslo