Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Worst cover versions ever! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12365)

MellySingsDoom 04.18.2007 02:16 PM

Worst cover versions ever!

OK, people. Let's see if we can figure out who has perpetrated the worst cover versions of all time. My modest proposals would be:

1. Wet Wet Wet "Love Is All Around" (original by The Troggs) - A horrific molesting of the previously inoffensive Troggs tune by the fake soul Scots, including one Marti "Cuntface" Pellow. Famous in the UK for spending about 4 months at number one, and for being in that damn "Four Weddings and a Dildo" film.

2. Sam Moore and Lou Reed "Soul Man" (original by Sam and Dave) - OK, so we have a film about a white douchbag who decides to black up just so he can get a college scholarship. So what song should soundtrack this racist tosh? Ah yes, a lame reading of "Soul Man", done by Sam Moore and that funky soul brother Lou Reed. Yes, Lou "mumble putdown" Reed. The video of said monstrosity features Reed laying down vocals in the studio, complete with mirror shades and mullet. "You ain't seen....nuthin' yit!" Barf!

3. The Soup Dragons "I'm Free" (orig. by Rolling Stones) - Where this previoulsy whiter-than-white group suddenly discover their reggae and dance heritage, and decide to baggy-up one of the Stone's lesser efforts. Hear - funky wah-wah guitar and Happy Mondays style drumming...wow! See - the lead singer making a complete cunt of himself on national TV! Gasp - as an 'indie' group sucks deep on the corporate cock to get a top 20 hit.

4. Mick Jagger and David Bowie "Dancing In The Streets (orig. by Martha and The Vandellas" - Destroying this song for charity should not excuse Dames Mick and Dave. Imagine a couple of pissed forty-somethings shouting this out at a local karaoke, and wearing hideous designer coats. That's all I remember of the video. Well that, and Mike Read saying how great it was on 'Going Live'. Jagger should have been killed for this, whilst Bowie should have been sent into exile to, let's say, Mongolia.

SonicSam 04.18.2007 03:14 PM

It's not their fault. The songs they were covering were shit in the first place.

Rob Instigator 04.18.2007 03:47 PM

all 4 of those covers suck serious assshit

Savage Clone 04.18.2007 04:05 PM

That Neil Young song Dino Jr covered on the "The Bridge" compilation was pretty unlistenable...

the ikara cult 04.18.2007 04:13 PM

If you ever heard Ronan Keating doing Fairytale of New York.... my lord. A beautiful piece of work turned into soup.

In fact any time someone on pop idol sings a song they ruin it but generally that programme doesnt have music i particularly care for.

Im also interested to hear Rod Stewart's version of Downtown Train by Tom Waits, if only so i can laugh and cry at the same time

Bertrand 04.18.2007 04:27 PM

The Troggs did something rather - hummm - peculiar with Good Vibrations. Reg Presley articulated every single syllable. I appreciate that band, but, not that one. And to think that they covered Satisfaction too...

Spark 04.18.2007 04:36 PM

"Blue Monday" by Orgy is fucking atrocious. Their rendition of it resembles some corny 80s power ballad.

fishmonkey 04.18.2007 05:13 PM

i think Nico did a cover of The End by the Doors.

that one.

Pookie 04.18.2007 05:14 PM

The Cerys Matthews & Tom Jones version of Baby, It's Cold Outside has to be heard to be believed.

sarramkrop 04.19.2007 02:18 AM

Nirvana - Here She Comes Now
Beck and Emmylou Harris - Sin City
Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love
Kelly Osbourne And Ozzy - Changes
An appaling cover of an even more appaling song: Madonna - American Pie
Drop Nineteens - Angel
Fuzztones - Mr Soul
Billy Idol - Heroin
Duran Duran - White Lines
Stereophonics - I Wanna Be Your Dog
Dinosaur Jr - Quicksand
The Divine Comedy - Radioactivity
Ruby Isle - Teenage Riot
The Levellers - Plastic Factory
The Jesus And Mary Chain - Reverberation

sun city girl 04.19.2007 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Dinosaur Jr - Quicksand

what the fuck?? that's better than the original!!

musicfallinglikesnow 04.19.2007 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmonkey
i think Nico did a cover of The End by the Doors.

that one.

You should listen to the live version in "June 1st, 1974" just with harmonium, not the version of the "The End" album arranged by Cale and Eno. She didn't like the arrangements either. But then again, only if you like Nico's voice and persona, which I think was awesome.

musicfallinglikesnow 04.19.2007 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
2. Sam Moore and Lou Reed "Soul Man" (original by Sam and Dave) - OK, so we have a film about a white douchbag who decides to black up just so he can get a college scholarship. So what song should soundtrack this racist tosh? Ah yes, a lame reading of "Soul Man", done by Sam Moore and that funky soul brother Lou Reed. Yes, Lou "mumble putdown" Reed. The video of said monstrosity features Reed laying down vocals in the studio, complete with mirror shades and mullet. "You ain't seen....nuthin' yit!" Barf!

I totally agree...eek! :eek:

sun city girl 04.19.2007 03:41 AM

i agree with those covers mentioned in the first post, except soup dragons wasn't really that bad... love is all around was originally a great song but wet wet wet totally ruined it so that i can't even stand the original anymore.

sarramkrop 04.19.2007 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicfallinglikesnow
You should listen to the live version in "June 1st, 1974" just with harmonium, not the version of the "The End" album arranged by Cale and Eno. She didn't like the arrangements either. But then again, only if you like Nico's voice and persona, which I think was awesome.

Indeed. The whole of ' The End ' album has an irritating sound about it. I don't really like 'The End' as a song, but that version on harmonium is much better. Bowie's version of Quicksand is 300 times superior to the Dinosaur Jr's version. Loop's cover of 'Cinnamon Girl' is a bit rubbish too. Joy Division's cover of ' Sister Ray' is also crap.

Florya 04.19.2007 04:18 AM

Quote:

Indeed. Joy Division's cover of ' Sister Ray' is also crap.

If they had done a studio version I think it would have rocked, but you're right, the version on 'Still' is a bit pants.

I'm not sure where I stand on the cover versions v originals debate.

What constitutes a good or bad cover version?

fishmonkey 04.19.2007 05:34 AM

Quote:

Stereophonics - I Wanna Be Your Dog

sweet jesus, i didnt even know about that, thats makin me shiver just thinking about it.

David Kitt (irish politician's son and total wankbag with an accoustic guitar) does an accoustic version of Teenage Riot, i myself have never heard it but its cuz i really dont want to.

sarramkrop 04.19.2007 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florya
If they had done a studio version I think it would have rocked, but you're right, the version on 'Still' is a bit pants.

I'm not sure where I stand on the cover versions v originals debate.

What constitutes a good or bad cover version?

I've always thought the same, it's not so bad what they do with the riff, but the version on Still makes it sound like it lacks in bass guitar and therefore it affects the overall sound of it.

Pookie 04.19.2007 06:49 AM

Ramones - Substitute
Ramones - Have You Ever Seen the Rain
Ramones - Surf City
Ramones - Seven And Seven Is
Ramones - ...actually ALL the tracks on Acid Eaters...

SYRFox 04.19.2007 09:39 AM

Placebo - Where Is My Mind?

They put out all what made that song beautiful, worst is that they replaced Kim choirs by some awful organic Molko voice, it's unlistenable. Blah