Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Wizard Of Oz Mysteries/Questions/Theories (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40277)

Skuj 06.26.2010 09:17 PM

Wizard Of Oz Mysteries/Questions/Theories

Why didn't the Scarecrow and the Tinman fall asleep in the poppy fields?

"Where for art thou, Romeo" is sung by an anonymous voice during the Tinman's initial singalong. I think the Wicked Witch made this happen.

Thoughts?

noisereductions 06.26.2010 09:52 PM

Scarecrow & Tinman are not man/animal.

SpaceCadetHayden 06.26.2010 10:59 PM

1) Weed is alright in moderation.

2) No.

space 06.26.2010 11:43 PM

poppies require a heart and mind, if only so that you may lose them.

terminal pharmacy 06.27.2010 05:14 PM

why didnt toto die when he ran into the matte background during the storm at the start of the movie

atsonicpark 06.27.2010 09:46 PM

Never seen it.

EVOLghost 06.27.2010 09:50 PM

Why did the fortune teller dood keep the photo of her family?

Count Mecha 06.28.2010 11:35 AM

What should be a very curious concern, if we perceive that Wizard of OZ and Return to OZ are canonical with each other is what the first film in fact means concerning the ending. At the end of the film she recognizes all of the farmhands and Professor Marvel as characters from OZ, implying that OZ was merely a figment of her imagination. But if Return to OZ is accepted as a true sequel to the 1939 film, then the perception is muddled since that film all but assures that OZ is an indeed real place.

What is the relationship between these two universes? In the book, it was very clear that OZ was simply just somewhere else on planet earth that was enormously difficult to locate. Both films do nothing whatsoever to suggest that they do not take place in completely different realities.

Does every creature in OZ have an Earth counterpart? As we can see, Ray Bolger's character 'Hunk' had a twin counterpart in the Scarecrow in OZ. Same for the rest of the farmhands, their advantages and strengths are personified in their OZ counterparts, in the reverse actually. Who is Dorothy's counterpart? Probably Ozma if anyone, the end of Return to OZ certainly suggests so. That is if you believe the Ozma looking individual at the beginning of the picture was a hallucination, or maybe Ozma herself making an appearance on Earth.

The ties between the two universes are readily apparent in both films, the carved pumpkin, the cage, Nome King, Tick Tock, wicked witch, so on so forth. So they are both seemingly two sides of the same coin.

Another curious factor is how Dorothy manages to travel between these two worlds. In the first film she is carried in a twister and in the second in a bed cascading down a violent river in a storm. How do these events correlate, she managed to return in both films due to the ability of the ruby slippers or some other Ozian magic, but to arrive there in the first place is a strange mystery. Are there random portals to OZ scattered around the globe? Are they only accessible in periods of great distress? Does Dorothy herself will them open without her own knowledge? It's anybody's guess.

Better_Than_Deux 06.28.2010 11:44 AM

whats up with dark side of the rainbow

ive watched it; i think it's coincedence. some people think its fer realziez. i think they did too much acid

Count Mecha 06.28.2010 11:57 AM

Well what makes the Darkside of OZ thing difficult is that if it was just the music that was syncing up, that'd be one thing, that'd be pretty easy to dismiss as coincidence. You can throw some record on to alot of movies and see similarities. That Doors track LA Woman syncs perfectly with that Fred Astaire dancing on the ceiling sequence in Royal Wedding. But the thing about the Darkside bit is that it is lyrically relevant as well, the words have a context with the scene a great amount of the time.

atsonicpark 06.28.2010 12:06 PM

For some weird fun, I've synced up ICE CREAM FOR CROW by Beefheart and WIZARDS OF THE LOST KINGDOM, and there are weird coincedences, a shuffling marching beat will start as soon as horses are galloping and whatnot. One part he mentions "YOU HARDLY KNOW A DAY GOES BY IN THE CARDBOARD CUT OUT SUN DOWN" as it shows the sun. I mean, sync up any album ever with any movie ever, tons of things like that will happen. This just happens to be the most famous... I can't comment for real since I've never seen Wizard of Oz but I am downloading a "dark side of the rainbow" rip right now!

Better_Than_Deux 06.28.2010 02:37 PM

tell us what you think adam

you are syg's movie go to man

atsonicpark 06.28.2010 03:52 PM

I will, haha. And thank you! The torrent just finished downloading.

I do always get confounded looks when I tell people I've never seen Wizard. I OWN the movie, actually, I just have never watched it. Just doesn't seem like anything that would appeal to me. I think it'd be cool that the first time I watch it, it's going to be like this, though -- with no real point of reference or expectations, or anything... (I've never heard Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety either!)

Count Mecha 06.28.2010 04:33 PM

1939 was a good year for cinema.

Skuj 06.28.2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha
1939 was a good year for cinema.

I think 1960 was the best, but, yeah.....

I know every square millimeter of Oz. My 2 year old demands it. Often.

Count Mecha 06.29.2010 08:56 AM

I think 1968 was my favorite year.

And I wish they'd shown more of southern OZ in the movie.