Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Great albums made on 4-track tape recorders? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=5969)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 09.10.2006 10:44 PM

Great albums made on 4-track tape recorders?

I can only think of Guided By Voices- Bee Thousand, what are some others?

NOT 4 TRACK REEL TO REEL PEOPLE, 4 TRACK CASSETTE RECORDERS.

Norma J 09.10.2006 10:47 PM

Sgt Peppers

finding nobody 09.10.2006 10:53 PM

All of Daniel Johnston's early tapes were recorded one track. Along with countless blues artists

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 09.10.2006 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
Sgt Peppers

I mean like on a cassette. Sgt Pepper's was on a Reel to Reel, which is much more expensive and hifi.

I'm looking for some lofi inspiration to tell me that I don't have to spend a shitload of money on recording stuff.

lowlife 09.11.2006 02:10 AM

...........'4 Track Demos' by PJ Harvey??? Don't know if that was cassette or reel to reel though

_slavo_ 09.11.2006 05:19 AM

Flying Saucer Attack - Distance

HaydenAsche 09.11.2006 08:15 AM

Mountain Goats. Anything by them earlier in their career.

gmku 09.11.2006 08:54 AM

The first Doors LP.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 09.11.2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowlife
...........'4 Track Demos' by PJ Harvey??? Don't know if that was cassette or reel to reel though

That was definitely cassette.

Cassette is generally associated with lo-fi, and reel to reel 4-tracks are higher fidelity than any digital recorder.

Big Black's Lungs was recorded on a 4 track cassette recorder.

hey alex 09.11.2006 01:54 PM

sebadoh's early work, weed forestin', III, and smash your head, are 4-track super rock.

Olivia tremor control's albums , cubist castle and black foliage, are 4-track (ans 8) masterpieces.

beck's one foot in the grave and stereopathetic soul manure are mostly 4-track i believe.

nomadicfollower 09.11.2006 07:17 PM

I could be wrong, but I belive God Ween Satan was recorded on a 4-track. Great record as well.

Rob Instigator 09.11.2006 08:43 PM

Lots of hardcore classics I think were recorded on four track. One I know of is Black Dot by the Bad Brains

Eric's Trip is a famously lo fi band and I love them. Love TARA is my favorite but I love it all.

Hood does some fantastic lo fi music on SILENT 88, i fucking love that album.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 09.11.2006 09:27 PM

I think Black Dots was on a Reel to Reel, but since Don Zientara had barely any equipment at the time, it is still an amazing piece of lofi production in my mind.

CHOUT 09.11.2006 09:50 PM

GBV - Alien Lanes too

hey alex 09.11.2006 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
I could be wrong, but I belive God Ween Satan was recorded on a 4-track. Great record as well.

i think that's right/////i've heard it before

wikipedia did not help me find the answer

edit... apparently they used 4-track up until pure guava. on the wiki it says.

CHOUT 09.11.2006 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hey alex
i think that's right/////i've heard it before

wikipedia did not help me find the answer

edit... apparently they used 4-track up until pure guava. on the wiki it says.

The Pod was done on 4 track. Dunno about this one.

nomadicfollower 09.11.2006 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT
The Pod was done on 4 track. Dunno about this one.

Your right. The Pod was probably what I was thinking of. A decent album anyway.

against_the_grain 09.11.2006 11:18 PM

One of my favorites, Los Lobos, did this as a side project in the early 90s....

Lo-Fi cassette...yep. I love this record !!

Amazon.com review....

After working with Los Lobos on their albums, "The Neighborhood" and "Kiko," the team of producer Mitchell Froom and engineer Tchad Blake joined David Hidalgo and Louie Perez to craft this amazing album. The music is a melting pot of roots music and border radio, recorded with Froom's trademark studio experimentation. An array of sound textures adorn the tracks, from fuzzed-out guitar and junkyard percussion to sampled snippets of Perez' grandmother laughing and Indian wedding music. The sessions were captured on a simple four-track, and the album displays a warmth and richness that is a true lo-fi accomplishment. Fans of Tom Waits' later work ("Rain Dogs" and "Bone Machine"), Mitchell Froom's other productions (like his solo release "Dopamine" and Suzanne Vega's "99.9F"), and of course Los Lobos' recent stuff will no doubt find the Latin Playboys quite rewarding. It is a sonic wonder that grows deeper with each listen. "Manifold de Amour" and "Forever Night Shade Mary" were included on the soundtrack to Robert Rodriguez' "Desperado" the following year. Froom went on to produce Los Lobos' "Colossal Head," and Hidalgo joined Cesar Rosas in Los Super Seven before the Playboys returned with their adventurous, and cleverly-titled, follow-up release, "Dose."

terminal pharmacy 09.12.2006 01:24 AM

john frusciante - niandra lades and usually just a tshirt

gmku 09.12.2006 09:11 AM

The Doors was reel-to-reel 4-track, too. Sorry, I didn't get the intent of the thread at first. I don't think I know any albums recorded on cassette. Do I?