Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   My flanger pedal is haunted... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=935)

GeneticKiss 04.14.2006 03:02 PM

My flanger pedal is haunted...

Sometimes when I use my Ibanez flanger I hear what sounds like talking coming out of my amp...I thought somehow my amp was picking up my neighbor's TV, but interestingly enough, when I played it through my practice amp with my headphones on, I could still hear the talking...so I cranked the gain and turned up the volume all the way and you can hear a man and a woman talking in Japanese!

Freaky...anyone else had any weird experiences with gear?

sonicpollution 04.14.2006 03:07 PM

You're probably picking up weird radio signals...even on low gain and low powered amps it's still possible to do that if the signal from the station is strong enough.

I used to pick up weird Christian Coalition-style talk radio...and that signal was strong...I could pick it up by merely turning my amp on and touching a cord to anything that conducted electricity (myself included). It made playing guitar a pain in the ass. Yet oddly enough, I moved my amp to the other side of the room and I couldn't pick it up at all.

stirling 04.14.2006 03:19 PM

Sometimes I get radio signals coming through one of my amps - not through any pedals, though.

RockerNino 04.14.2006 03:23 PM

yea. i get a spanish channel through my amp sometimes.

nomadicfollower 04.14.2006 03:53 PM

Hasn't happened to me, but that's pretty wierd.
If I get something metal and rub over the pickups (with much distortion of course) I can get a sound like someone turning channels on a radio.

Glice 04.14.2006 04:13 PM

French radio here. I think it's an incredibly common thing.

John Violence 04.14.2006 04:15 PM

I used to get the BBC through one of my old practice amps.

hey alex 04.14.2006 05:59 PM

ooooh, now I wanna try and get signals thru my amp

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.14.2006 06:30 PM

When I first saw Sonic Youth, rap was coming out of Thurston's amp.

sonicpollution 04.14.2006 07:35 PM

On that subject, try taking a televsion remote/any remote, playing against a pickup, and start pushing buttons...it makes some fun noises.

Oh yeah...there have been occasions when I've been practicing and my phone has started to ring. My guitar picks that up too....it's truly frightening

Glice 04.14.2006 07:37 PM

You get more than one phone, you can make phase sounds with that. I spent far too long doing it once.

youthoftomorrow 04.16.2006 03:54 PM

i get classic rock when i use my bass distortion pedal.

Danny Himself 04.16.2006 05:55 PM

My jazzmaster picks up mobile phone ringtones when I hold one against them, as well as this little voice-changing megaphone I have. It's pretty fun seeing what electronic objects make cool noises.