Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pop's Greatest Producer (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=32875)

demonrail666 07.14.2009 04:29 AM

Pop's Greatest Producer

look, there's even a poll. cool.

Shifty Prophet 07.14.2009 08:13 AM

I don't mean to nit-pick your poll options but Timbaland or Dr. Dre should be replaced by Rick Rubin. While Dre and T have both produced their respective good records, Rick Rubin was behind the scenes of: Run DMC, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, LL Cool J, Slayer, Danzig, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Johnny Cash etc... There's no telling how many albums he ''executively produced'' as well.

floatingslowly 07.14.2009 08:31 AM

easy.

Phil Spector.

he has awesome hair AND he kills people IRL.

Satan 07.14.2009 08:33 AM

crazy phil...he pulled a gun on the ramones

gualbert 07.14.2009 08:47 AM

Producers are never great: they're efficient or competent at best.

therealglenstyler 07.14.2009 09:11 AM

[quote=Shifty Prophet]I don't mean to nit-pick your poll options but Timbaland or Dr. Dre should be replaced by Rick Rubin. quote]

yeah i'd go with the Rube' here as well.

chrome noise tape 07.14.2009 09:44 AM

floatingslowly 07.14.2009 10:19 AM

STEP BACK, HE MIGHT BLOW.

TOO MUCH AWESOME IN ONE WHITE DUDE.

Glice 07.14.2009 11:21 AM

I voted for Steve 'Albini' Albini.

demonrail666 07.14.2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty Prophet
I don't mean to nit-pick your poll options but Timbaland or Dr. Dre should be replaced by Rick Rubin. While Dre and T have both produced their respective good records, Rick Rubin was behind the scenes of: Run DMC, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, LL Cool J, Slayer, Danzig, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Johnny Cash etc... There's no telling how many albums he ''executively produced'' as well.

Yeah, I agree that Rubin should be on there, but in terms of impact on pop music I think someone like Dre is at least comparable. His production on The Chronic pretty much defined whole swathes of Rap/RnB music in the 90s. Not forgetting his production on Straight Outta Compton which had a massive influence on the whole gangsta Rap thing.

It's definitely arguable, but while I did vote for Spector overall, I'd say Dre was maybe the most influential of the last twenty years. But yeah, it's a very good shout for Rubin.

floatingslowly 07.14.2009 12:16 PM

the fact that Dr. Dre is on a "pop's greatest" list makes me want to cry. cry and then projectile vomit all over my screen.

Non-threatening Black Males With Attitude.

o..
gawd...

somebody ...

please hold my hair...

here..
it comes..
again..

HUHAWWWWWWAAGHGHUUUUUGGGGGGLLGLGL.....

demonrail666 07.14.2009 12:18 PM

nigga-phobe

floatingslowly 07.14.2009 12:30 PM

who? me?

MellySingsDoom 07.14.2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I voted for Steve 'Albini' Albini.

As much as I respect you, Herr G (indeed, every morning, I prepare myself for the day by listening to your "The Heidegger of Crunk" spoken word CD), but Herr Albino deserves to have his bottom spanked for that Stooges CD he engineered. Hello, Bass????

Glice 07.14.2009 01:58 PM

I understand your rage. It was a joke based on the fact that I don't really like Albini. I mean, have you heard that Melt Banana album? Imagine if the Stooges album had decent songs that Albini raped with terror. That bad. As it was, Albini's favour to that Stooges album was to mask its pishness in bad production, thus saving the legend.

DeadDiscoDildo 07.14.2009 08:17 PM

Who else voted for George Martin besides me?

And it was very close, I almost picked Brian Wilson.

automatic bzooty 07.14.2009 08:30 PM

i was really close to voting george martin, but i hopped the spector train... almost solely because of the ronettes.

floatingslowly 07.14.2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Dre
RUTHLESS...
is the way to go they know
others say rhymes that fail to be original
or they kill where the hip-hop starts
forget about the ghetto
and rap for the pop charts.

some musicians curse at home
but scared to use profanity
when up on the microphone
yeah, they want reality
but you won't hear none
they rather exaggerate, a little fiction.
some say no to drugs and take a stand,
but after the show they go lookin' for the dopeman.

^^^CAUGHT SLIPPIN'.

SPECTOR IS STILL BRINGIN' THAT SHIT REAL, DAWG.

eternal 07.14.2009 09:25 PM

i dont care what people say, i voted timbaland.

if i want pop music that makes me wanna dance around and galavant at a club, i would love to do it to his music. and for music thats not as accessible, he did do a great job on the latest bjork and MIA albums

demonrail666 07.14.2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Albini's favour to that Stooges album was to mask its pishness in bad production, thus saving the legend.

This is so true it's bordering on being a law.