Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Genres that have not really been explored as well as they should be (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=597)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.04.2006 07:42 PM

Genres that have not really been explored as well as they should be

I really feel the surf genre hasn't really been explored very heavily, the only band that really took it that far was Man or Astroman?

There were a few bands in the 80's that lasted for short ammounts of time that were incredibly unique. I'm thinking of Tones on Tail and Happy Go Licky.

johnnywinternoshow 04.04.2006 08:07 PM

yeah, i like the less cheesy side of surf, i'd like to see a lot more analog electronica along the lines of analord, i'm sure it's out there I just don't know the names of people doing it

Savage Clone 04.04.2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I really feel the surf genre hasn't really been explored very heavily, the only band that really took it that far was Man or Astroman?

There were a few bands in the 80's that lasted for short ammounts of time that were incredibly unique. I'm thinking of Tones on Tail and Happy Go Licky.

There was a pretty big neo-surf movement in the early and mid 90s; it wasn't just Man Or Astroman.
Try Galaxy Trio, Impala, A Bones, Panasonics, to name just a few.

noumenal 04.04.2006 08:16 PM

Right now, I'm in the middle of dissecting You Still Believe In Me by The Beach Boys and it's stuck in my head.

HaydenAsche 04.04.2006 10:13 PM

Umm... I think all good neo-no-wave bands are dead and it should have lasted longer. Kk Rampage is the only thing keeping the scene alive.

Savage Clone 04.04.2006 10:17 PM

It lasted longer than the original New Wave.

HaydenAsche 04.04.2006 10:19 PM

True but that's because it was tons better. Arab on Radar died far too early. the Chinese Stars, Made in Mexico, and Athletic Automation are nothing compared to the o.g. AOR.

sonikold 04.05.2006 12:47 AM

not enough klezmer metal. Alamaailman Vasarat is the only band i've heard doing it.

thecockerontherock 04.05.2006 02:00 AM

I wish there were more releases available of international bands from 60's...Sure, there's the tropicalia stuff from Brazil,but how about from other non-english speaking countries playing rock from the same era?

Onani Nic 04.05.2006 04:56 AM

^agreed

Glice 04.05.2006 05:47 AM

I like this subject - first of all, there's hundreds of surf-punk bands out there, it just happens that Man or Astroman? are among the best.

Second, it's very difficult for bands to explore some genres - I don't think a lot of Sonic Youth's ideas should remain entirely in their control, and there's a few bands who take a few of their ideas and run with them sucessfully (early Blonde Redhead, ...Trail of dead, etc) but I don't think ideas like those on DDN have quite been explored enough to constitute a genre, where they really could and probably should.

The other problem I can think of is that some genres run themselves out so quickly that it's quite right they should disappear - I think a lot of lower-case improv is getting really stale now... Taku Sugimoto & Radu Malfatti have disappeared into a conceptual cul-de-sac; Nmperign are still excellent... Berhard Gunther has done some exquisitely beautiful things, but generally I think the genre's pretty much a dead-end.

Hip Priest 04.05.2006 06:20 AM

GREBO is the one. It was an late 80's/early 90's movement, largely from Midlands, in England. It spawned some really very decent bands, eg Gaye Bykers on Acid, Ned's Atomic Dustbiin, Pop Will Eat Itself, as well as the lesser Wonderstuff. Carter USM, The Wonder Stuff, The Levellers, Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction and New Model Army are occaisionally associated with the scene, which I remember was dubbed by Melody Maker as 'the scene that celebrates itself'.

It was shortlived, but some very good music came from there, and it is certainly under-recognised.

Especially GAye Bykers on acid.

Glice 04.05.2006 06:37 AM

Oh dear God no, no Grebo, please not grebo.... noooooooooooooooo...!

Hip Priest 04.05.2006 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Oh dear God no, no Grebo, please not grebo.... noooooooooooooooo...!

Yes. Grebo.

Gaye Bykers on Acid, dude. You can't knock them.

Glice 04.05.2006 06:44 AM

Can and will. I have a soft spot for the stuffies though.

Hip Priest 04.05.2006 06:47 AM

Ooh, no. My brother in law has this weird love for them, they were the ones I couldn't stand. Poppies were cool enough, Neds were cool enough, and I still really love GBOA. In fact I've just put them on. What on earth can you object to about GBOA?

The stuffies had a new LP out recently. It was reviewed in the Telegraph about a month ago. Did you know?

Glice 04.05.2006 07:09 AM

No I did not. Can't be bothered to buy it though, I think it's probably a good idea to leave them in the past.

The problem with GBOA is that the name is far too good for the music, if that makes any sense...

Hip Priest 04.05.2006 07:22 AM

I love their music (GBOA, not stuffies).

re: that stuffies LP: I think the Telegraph's guy said something about Hunt's powerful (his word) voice being overpowered by the 'U2 style production of the guitars'. So you're probably right not to buy.

johnnywinternoshow 04.05.2006 10:56 AM

the drummer from the wonder stuff died a few days ago in a motorbike crash
http://chocoreve.blogspot.com/ has a lot of thai psych and indian psych popping up now and again

sonikold 04.05.2006 09:16 PM

yeah, chocoreve's got some sweet turkish psych. the cambodian stuff is weird, too.