Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   David Bowie has a new fan. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6322)

Pookie 09.22.2006 06:55 AM

David Bowie has a new fan.

Did anybody watch Extras last night?

I've never been a huge Bowie fan, but his appearance on Extras was the shows finest moment in its two series.

And I hope they'll be releasing the song he composed in the programme. Best thing he's done for years.

porkmarras 09.22.2006 06:56 AM

I wish i had a tv now!

Pookie 09.22.2006 07:05 AM

Quote from Bowie Audio Community:

"Bowie even writes and performs a song about Andy, which goes: “Little fat man who sold his soul, little fat man who sold his dream, chubby little loser . . . pathetic little fat man, no one’s bloody laughing.”

While we're on the subject of that song (I can't reveal the title just yet), I don't think I'm giving anything away when I say that, despite the comedy angle, to these ears the piano backing and vocal melody could almost be a Hunky Dory outtake...kind of a shame it wasn't used for a legit Bowie recording in a way."

Pookie 09.22.2006 07:11 AM

From the Guardian:

"If you missed Extras (BBC2), try to catch the repeat on Sunday. Andy Millman, star of the world's worst sitcom, confided to David Bowie that he feared he had sold his artistic soul for a mess of potage. Bowie listened sympathetically then began improvising his next hit in a clear, carrying tenor.

Chubby little loser. No.

Pathetic little fat man.

The clown that no one laughs at.

No one's bloody laughing.

They all just wish he'd die.

Fatso takes his own life.

He blows his bloody face off. No.

He blows his stupid brains out.

Everyone joined in enthusiastically. Andy's agent and Barry (from EastEnders) swelled the chorus. Ricky Gervais sat there, impassively, like a buddha in black leather. You feel that if Buddha had been twitted about his weight and his total failure to convulse China, he would have borne it very much like that. Afterwards I found my face was stiff with salt."

gmku 09.22.2006 03:56 PM

I consider the Bowie part of my collection woefully incomplete. I "discovered" him late, so I only have Scary Monsters, Lodger, and Let's Dance, all great albums in my opinion--and as a vinyl holdout, I've been hoping to find his early stuff on vinyl (might have to break down and go the digital route unfortunately). Yeah, he's great. I even like Let's Dance, which most Bowie fans tend to dismiss.

Пятхъдесят Шест 09.22.2006 04:03 PM

I loved the show Extras, the first season (?) was shown here on HBO but I'm pretty sure they dropped it, and I miss it dearly.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 09.22.2006 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
I consider the Bowie part of my collection woefully incomplete. I "discovered" him late, so I only have Scary Monsters, Lodger, and Let's Dance, all great albums in my opinion--and as a vinyl holdout, I've been hoping to find his early stuff on vinyl (might have to break down and go the digital route unfortunately). Yeah, he's great. I even like Let's Dance, which most Bowie fans tend to dismiss.

I have Let's Dance, but usually I pull out Station to Station or Diamond Dogs instead.

toxic johnny 09.22.2006 08:39 PM

The Man Who Sold The World... Ziggy Stardust... Pin ups... Hunky Dory... Aladdin Sane... all amazing.

IntoTheGroovey 09.23.2006 06:16 AM

Station to Station, Low, Heroes, Hunky Dory and parts of Lodger all rock the casbah.

Пятхъдесят Шест 09.23.2006 09:41 AM

Pookie: Do you know, is season one on DVD?

Pookie 09.23.2006 09:45 AM

It certainly is in the UK, but I don't think it's been released yet in the US.

Пятхъдесят Шест 09.23.2006 09:47 AM

Well, Bless you anyway.

You know the Cat Stevens song that plays during the end credits? Well, I enjoyed that song so much that went out and bought the record that is on. Only to find out the song is only like a minute or so long. What a downer that was.