Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Give me music similar to Boris's Amplifier Worship (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31000)

summer 05.01.2009 06:56 PM

Give me music similar to Boris's Amplifier Worship

I don't really know what genre this is? Sludge/doom/stoner/drone? I don't know, don't really care, just give me some music like this. Yay. Thanks.

atsonicpark 05.01.2009 08:07 PM

get these:
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
Warning - From a Distance
dot(.) ... stupid name but one of the best, get "Electric Weedland"
Graves at Sea - Documents of Grief
Melvins - Bullhead

Also, you might like some Goatsnake, Orange Goblin, Black Sabbath (!), Grief, Khanate, Burning Witch, Noothgrush, Sourvein... for some dronier stuff, perhaps Sunn, Earth, Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine, etc. I used to really be into this genre but not so much anymore.

summer 05.02.2009 01:09 AM

Only one of those I have heard are Kyuss and obviously Black Sabbath (not exactly sure why you put the exclamation mark there..) I will try to get some of that other stuff though, probably Melvins first. I should have heard them a long time ago anyhow. Kurt Cobain loved them, and Boris named themselves after a Melvins song, so I mean, they have to be good I'd hope.

Death & the Maiden 05.02.2009 01:11 AM

Have you heard other Boris albums, like Absolutego and Feedbacker?

Kuwa_Slayne 05.02.2009 01:26 AM

If you're digging the doom stuff I'd add Om, Electric Wizard, Ufomammut and Yob.

summer 05.02.2009 01:26 AM

I've heard a lot of their stuff. Feedbacker is up there with Flood and Amplifier Worship. Absolutego I couldn't really stomach.. it's maybe too much drone-ish for me, ya know. Amplifier Worship is great because it's so heavy sounding but still, like, grooving, like Hama and Ganbou-Ki. It's like psychedelic to me. I dunno.

Derek 05.02.2009 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
get these:
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
Warning - From a Distance
dot(.) ... stupid name but one of the best, get "Electric Weedland"
Graves at Sea - Documents of Grief
Melvins - Bullhead

Also, you might like some Goatsnake, Orange Goblin, Black Sabbath (!), Grief, Khanate, Burning Witch, Noothgrush, Sourvein... for some dronier stuff, perhaps Sunn, Earth, Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine, etc. I used to really be into this genre but not so much anymore.

Definitely DEFINITELY get that Warning album and Melvins album.

The Earl Of Slander 05.02.2009 01:19 PM

In addition to some already mentioned, check out Keiji Haino's Fushitsusha group if you don't already know them. Start with either of the two "Double Live" releases (AKA "PSF 3/4" and "PSF 5/6"). They're both hugely noisy and awesome, but first one is (comparitively) a bit more "rock" and accesible, whereas the second is even more messed up and blown out. Both are essential.

Disc 1, track 1 or disc 2, track 4 make good tasters for the first one if you're looking to quickly sample. Disc 2, tracks 3 and 7 for the second.

Haino how I love thee!

Dead-Air 05.02.2009 03:55 PM

Look for Karp. Not exactly the same thing, but related and awesome. I so miss those guys.

Kuwa_Slayne 05.02.2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Look for Karp. Not exactly the same thing, but related and awesome. I so miss those guys.

Karp tears ass. I like Big Business, too, but it doesn't even come close to the terrifying majesty that is Karp.

johnnywinternoshow 05.05.2009 10:22 AM

This is the Melvins album to get!

Also check out Sleep - Jerusalem/Dopesmoker

batreleaser 05.05.2009 10:59 AM

burning witch is fucking incredible. i think its the est band that o'malley and anderon were ever inolved with, there was just something primal and authentic about thier sound, they were the real deal, a monolithic blackened sludge metal sound. Gotta love those vocals too, screams, grunts, and melodies galore.

I really don't have a lot of patience for Drone Metal anymore, Earth 2 will never be topped.

You might like some New Zealund drone stuff like Cambell Kneale (Black Boned Angel and Birchville Cat Motel), Antony Milton, Bruce Russel, etc...

Rob Instigator 05.05.2009 12:38 PM

Melvins are fantastic. They do all sorts of heavy shit, and most of their albums are great. I prefer th early ones, OZMA, BULLHEAD, Gluey Porch Treatments. so heavy. so sick