Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Stones - Awesome Post Exile Songs. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40166)

Skuj 06.15.2010 01:42 AM

The Stones - Awesome Post Exile Songs.

You know, lately it has occurred to me that The Stones did some fucking fantastic songs in their "post Exile" career.

I mean, come the fuck on......

Emotional Rescue
Miss You
Rough Justice
Saint Of Me
Mixed Emotions
Waiting On A Friend
Beast Of Burden
Angie
It's Only Rock And Roll
And Some Others.

Seriously good shit!

Satan 06.15.2010 01:46 AM

emotional rescue, it's only rocknroll, starfucker, winter, dancing w mr d, miss you, when the whip comes down, coming down again, heartbreaker, beast of burden, tops, little t/a, waiting on a friend, hot stuff........

i refuse to listen to anything after tattoo you

Skuj 06.15.2010 01:58 AM

Ironically, Tattoo You is mostly 70s stuff, things that were already in the can. (I think Waiting On A Friend is 74.)

But there's some good shit on those post Tattoo albums. I still can't stop wiggling my arse to Rough Justice. Steel Wheels is somewhat slick, but there's great songwriting throughout. Slipping Away, people.....fuck me!

Black Limousine. There's another absolute fuckin gem.

Satan 06.15.2010 02:18 AM

OH YEAH BLACK LIMOUSINE

yeah tattoo you was a lot of old and new stuff just thrown together basically.....sadly i know absolutely everything there is to know about the rolling stones. probably even more than gmku :(

tesla69 06.15.2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
OH YEAH BLACK LIMOUSINE

yeah tattoo you was a lot of old and new stuff just thrown together basically.....sadly i know absolutely everything there is to know about the rolling stones. probably even more than gmku :(

do you know about this?
http://www.counterpunch.org/pollack06142010.html

TheMadcapLaughs 06.15.2010 10:55 AM

i like the song shattered (shidoobee)

pinkstation 06.15.2010 01:14 PM

was anybody even debating the fact that the stones released good stuff post-exile. some girls is really really solid with "far away eyes," "jsut my imagination," and of course, "shattered." emotional rescue was a solid album too. but yeah, it's hard to beat the historic run up to exile

batreleaser 06.15.2010 01:18 PM

They've always had great tracks, they just stopped releasing perfect record after Exile.

chicka 06.15.2010 01:23 PM

If only they'd retire. Right now they only damage their legacy.

pinkstation 06.15.2010 01:26 PM

i thought 'shine a light' was somewhat interesting.

TheMadcapLaughs 06.15.2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkstation
i thought 'shine a light' was somewhat interesting.

buddy guy was the only good part for me. everything else was awful, i hated the christina aguilerra part and the jack white part (and i like/liked the white stripes)

Satan 06.15.2010 04:11 PM

christina aguilera was great, she knows how to work with mick

automatic bzooty 06.15.2010 04:55 PM

i fucking love "undercover of the night." i don't know why.

TheMadcapLaughs 06.15.2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
christina aguilera was great, she knows how to work with mick

well if thats working with mick, than that makes me cringe

demonrail666 06.15.2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Rough Justice

I really like that too, but I also think its got some of the worst Stones lyrics I've heard. I hate Jagger all the way through that album but Keef is amazing on it.

Satan 06.15.2010 07:31 PM

she knows how to dance right with mick, and she's got an amazing voice and she's super hot. i don't care, i like her.

shattered is the shit btw.

Skuj 06.16.2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I really like that too, but I also think its got some of the worst Stones lyrics I've heard. I hate Jagger all the way through that album but Keef is amazing on it.

Oh Dude......

"One time you were my baby chicken
Now you've grown into a fox
And once upon a time I was your little rooster
Am I just one of your cocks?
..........etc.......
So put your lips to my hips baby
And tell me what's on your mind"

This is immense fun!

Generally though, haven't the Stones always been massively under-rated as lyricists?

demonrail666 06.16.2010 01:48 AM

While I generally prefer the Mick Taylor era, I think lyrically, Jagger was at his best during the Brian Jones one. Satisfaction, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Mother's Little Helper. Great lyrics.