Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hipsters' wet dream or actual good opportunity? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30157)

nicfit 04.10.2009 05:04 AM

Hipsters' wet dream or actual good opportunity?

On July 21st there are TVOTR and Animal Collective playing at one of my fav venues/festvals evahr (Ferrara sotto le stelle, google "piazza castello ferrara" to check the "venue").

I'm quite a big fan of TVOTR, and honestly haven't even given a chance to AC as of now (meaning: I haven't checked their albums yet).

The point is: I've never seen these bands live,are they good?

I'm not sure tvotr can pull off all the "subtle" patterns in their albums, and no idea about what to expect from AC.

suggestions are welcome, I'll probably go anyway since it's not too pricey, but I don't want to get too much disappointed, so knowing what to expect could be a good thing.

thanks.

here, have a candy:

blunderbuss 04.10.2009 05:17 AM

Well AC seem to have a good reputation as far their live shows go.

Derek 04.10.2009 05:57 AM

I was slightly bored when I saw AC one night... but it might have just been that performance.

dionysusundone 04.10.2009 02:26 PM

I haven't seen TVOTR live but I've heard they 'rock' more.

joe11121 04.10.2009 02:35 PM

I've heard mixed things about AC live, some love, others don't, but I personaly have never gone to one of their shows.

exploding plastic candle 04.10.2009 02:42 PM

Go for TVOTR, they're really good live. I saw them at a festival last year, they absolutely killed it. You either love or hate Animal Collective, and I, falling into the latter category, would never ever ever see them live, but if you haven't listened to them, tickets are cheap and you love TVOTR, go.

afterthefact 04.10.2009 02:52 PM

TVOTR seems like it would be a cool show, even though my interest in them has waned since their first album. BTW, check out their OK Calculator demo if you ever get a chance.

From what I hear about AC, their live shows are hit or miss. They may blow you away, or you may go home and blow yourself away.

tesla69 04.10.2009 03:03 PM

Save your money for the 5 Bardo Pond lps coming out in the month o so.

fluxequalsrad 04.10.2009 04:19 PM

Should be a great show, you really should listen to AC's Merriweather Post Pavillion before you go to the show if you want to enjoy it... its kind of hard to pick out whats going during a lot of AC songs, especially live.

SYRFox 04.10.2009 04:23 PM

Animal Collective blew me away both times I saw them. But then again, I'm a fan of theirs

summer 04.10.2009 09:35 PM

I'm only an AC fan in passing, but let me tell you, the live videos of My Girls I've seen are awful.. Avey Tare's vocals are so obnoxious and just awful.

pbradley 04.10.2009 10:29 PM

I wouldn't go since I like neither.

Decayed Rhapsody 04.10.2009 11:21 PM

TVoTR deserve their status from their live performances alone imo.

SYRFox 04.11.2009 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer
I'm only an AC fan in passing, but let me tell you, the live videos of My Girls I've seen are awful.. Avey Tare's vocals are so obnoxious and just awful.

actually, the live videos on youtube does not really do them justice. plus i think you didn't enjoy them because you probably were used to the way the tracks sounded in studio... their tracks are kind of different live. But they're really great. Their new track, "What would I want sky", is mindblowing

nicfit 04.11.2009 04:48 AM

On a side note, TVOTR's website is ubercool.

Glice 04.11.2009 05:38 AM

Does anyone else find it ironic that people on the Sonic Youth messageboard spend a lot of time decrying hipsters?

fugazifan 04.11.2009 06:14 AM

HA!

and i say go. i have really enjoyted AC both times that ive seen them. and TVOR seem like they would have good shows

automatic bzooty 04.12.2009 01:02 PM

you should go! you love TVOTR, you like the venue, and AC are worth a shot, i reckon. as long as you can withstand prolonged exposure to hipsters, go go go.

Better_Than_You 04.12.2009 01:45 PM

I've never seen AC live (tickets sold out too fast in mn) but my friend saw them when peace bone (right? i wasnt into AC for that album) was hot and she said that there was so much dancing there were a few seconds when she was lifted off the floor.

so if you like dancing... i think it should be fun. by the sounds of it at least.

PAULYBEE2656 04.13.2009 06:10 AM

tvtor with ac...jesus just get the yyy and aywkubttotd with krs1 and we nearly have the entire alphabet!