Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Re-Recorded tracks on Remastered Albums. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=32684)

demonrail666 07.05.2009 08:49 PM

Re-Recorded tracks on Remastered Albums.

I know there's already been chat on here about remastered albums but something i've become increasingly aware of is a tendency for bands to not just remaster, but re-record tracks for CDs. All the ZZ Top albums up to eliminator are unavailable on CD except in a version where the drums have been re-recorded with this massive 80s reverb sound - completely ruining the tracks, in my opinion. Mustaine did the same thing with some Megadeth albums I think, as has Zappa and The Doors have used different vocal tracks from the original, with slightly altered lyrics. Whatever you may think of those individual bands, it seems completely ridiculous as a marketing idea. I'm sure I'm not alone in being completely put off of getting a band's back catalogue that's had this done to it. Any other bands that you know of that have done this?

noisereductions 07.05.2009 08:51 PM

It bothers me. The Zappa thing big time. I'm happy when someone rips the original Zappa albums for me. Cuz it seems more "right" to have it the way it was originally released.

demonrail666 07.05.2009 08:58 PM

Exactly, I've downloaded the zz back catalogue from old vinyl sources, not because I don't want to buy their cds but because I don't want to listen to some bastardised re recording of them. I've read that they're going to be re-releasing them in their original form soon. They've already done it with Eliminator, which they're selling at a ridiculous $25 (it comes with a completely pointless DVD including the videos from that album). Bands complain about downloading and then completely justify it with cynical acts like that.

Shifty Prophet 07.05.2009 09:18 PM

An alternative is to buy a usb output for your stereo/turntable and rip straight from vinyl to your pc. True, it can take longer but, at least you know the sound will be as good as the record, until you compress it to MP3 that is.

RanaldoNecro 07.05.2009 11:19 PM

They've already done it with Eliminator, which they're selling at a ridiculous $25 (it comes with a completely pointless DVD including the videos from that album). Bands complain about downloading and then completely justify it with cynical acts like that.

I will defend the recent wave of repackaging by some artists. But, from an artist/consumer relationship, bands are getting shafted by fans downloading their entire catalgue. Since the trust has been broken it is only logical that this happens. Metallica did this with their video collection. Other bands have this by adding 1 or 2 new songs plus old favourites. Usually when they do this is priced below average...

demonrail666 07.06.2009 12:51 AM

I can understand why they repackage stuff, i just can't understand why an artist would want to re-record tracks on old albums, effectively making them worthless to fans. I wouldn't have a problem if they packaged the CDs so that the new versions came with the original mixes but to have it so that only these re-recorded versions are available seems commercially counter-productive to me.

I'm not saying this from a purist point of view, just a commercial one. Remastering is one thing, but how many fans want to buy the back catalogue of their favourite bands knowing it's been re-recorded?

joe11121 07.06.2009 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I can understand why they repackage stuff, i just can't understand why an artist would want to re-record tracks on old albums, effectively making them worthless to fans. I wouldn't have a problem if they packaged the CDs so that the new versions came with the original mixes but to have it so that only these re-recorded versions are available seems commercially counter-productive to me.

I'm not saying this from a purist point of view, just a commercial one. Remastering is one thing, but how many fans want to buy the back catalogue of their favourite bands knowing it's been re-recorded?

Exactly.

dionysusundone 07.06.2009 02:27 AM

Ozzy did this with his first couple of albums I know...

demonrail666 07.06.2009 02:56 AM

There's been an ongoing rumour that Axl wants to do it with Appetite For Destruction and then have the original CD withdrawn so the only available one is the re-recorded version.

Hopefully it'll take him as long to get around to doing that as it took him to record Chinese Democracy.

sonic sphere 07.06.2009 04:39 AM

yeah mustaine did re-record stuff on the megadeth remasters, adding different solos and things. he also fucks around with the drums and stuff in the mix. no idea why, they were fine as they were.