Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Are ZZ Top the Greatest Gay Band in America? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13926)

demonrail666 06.14.2007 06:23 PM

Are ZZ Top the Greatest Gay Band in America?

Ok, before you start wondering, here is the evidence.

1. ZZ Top were huge in the 80s. In terms of Rock n Roll lore, this means intense female interest. No three members of da Top were exactly Brad Pitt types but, even so, they would've got 'interest'. Unfortunately, the one thing generally recognised to be a bit of a 'no-no' for females is excessive facial hair. Two members of the band sported such excess and, as such, might reasonabl;y have been thought of as targeting an entirely different group. In effect I'm suggesting that both Dusty Hill and Billy Gibbons are bears.

2. Their one non-bearded member, the ironically named Frank Beard, does at times have a startling resemblence to Tom Selleck: an actor that throughout the 80s developed a large gay following. That's another niche covered!

3. The video to their hit single 'Legs' proved highly sexually arousing at the time for teenage boys like myself. So far so good, except that the same could be said for the excessive stockings and suspenders count of Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Relax video.

4. The wrote a song called Rough Boy.

sarramkrop 06.14.2007 06:25 PM

You've been drinking.

Bicorn Halfelven 06.14.2007 06:25 PM

Bears or not, they were embracing drum machines way before their contemporaries.

sarramkrop 06.14.2007 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicorn Halfelven
Bears or not, they were embracing drum machines way before their contemporaries.

You've been drinking too.

demonrail666 06.14.2007 06:27 PM

I have indeed, but you have to admit that there's a persuasively strange logic to my claim

demonrail666 06.14.2007 06:30 PM

Just remember who you heard it from first. That's all.

I'm thinking that a whole lot of ZZ fans, having still not quite come to terms with Freddy Mercury, might be in for an even bigger shock when discovering that 'Gimme all your Lovin' was not about quite the type of lovin' they had in mind.

terminal pharmacy 06.14.2007 06:33 PM

pansy division are the gratest gay band in america

Everyneurotic 06.14.2007 09:19 PM

they are like morrissey with chin mohawks.

they rock, though, or perhaps rocked then had hits that were good songs.

drrrtyboots 06.14.2007 09:26 PM

"Hell yeah."

StevOK 06.15.2007 12:33 AM

I saw ZZ Top live a couple months ago. They kick so much ass. If ZZ Top is gay, I don't want to be straight.

Rob Instigator 06.15.2007 09:27 AM

As a man witha full beard I can assure you that the pussy gets wet the nipples get hard and the mouths open slightly in anticipation when the ladies see the beard coming.

ha!!!!

ZZ Top will outrock 99% of what is out there.

did anyone see that concert o guitarists that was broadcast a few years ago, some sort of guitar tribute to guitars, and eric clapton was in charge of it?
the final night, the final slot, was given to ZZ TOP, because HOLY FUCK can they rock a show.

StevOK 06.15.2007 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
As a man witha full beard I can assure you that the pussy gets wet the nipples get hard and the mouths open slightly in anticipation when the ladies see the beard coming.

ha!!!!

ZZ Top will outrock 99% of what is out there.

did anyone see that concert o guitarists that was broadcast a few years ago, some sort of guitar tribute to guitars, and eric clapton was in charge of it?
the final night, the final slot, was given to ZZ TOP, because HOLY FUCK can they rock a show.

Yeah, I saw that during my local PBS station's pledge drive once. AMAZING.

Dead-Air 06.16.2007 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Ok, before you start wondering, here is the evidence.

1. ZZ Top were huge in the 80s. In terms of Rock n Roll lore, this means intense female interest. No three members of da Top were exactly Brad Pitt types but, even so, they would've got 'interest'. Unfortunately, the one thing generally recognised to be a bit of a 'no-no' for females is excessive facial hair. Two members of the band sported such excess and, as such, might reasonabl;y have been thought of as targeting an entirely different group. In effect I'm suggesting that both Dusty Hill and Billy Gibbons are bears.

2. Their one non-bearded member, the ironically named Frank Beard, does at times have a startling resemblence to Tom Selleck: an actor that throughout the 80s developed a large gay following. That's another niche covered!

3. The video to their hit single 'Legs' proved highly sexually arousing at the time for teenage boys like myself. So far so good, except that the same could be said for the excessive stockings and suspenders count of Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Relax video.

4. The wrote a song called Rough Boy.

Actually, I hate to let you down, but my wife used to work in a strip club in Austin, and they would come in. Of course they could have been gay if they were just looking at the shoes, but that wouldn't explain "La Grange", now would it? I'm sure there are some southern bears who are mighty let down, but these hombres save their "pearl necklaces" for the lucky ladies.

something 06.16.2007 01:54 AM

pansy division is the greatest gay band of all time

Dead-Air 06.16.2007 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by something
pansy division is the greatest gay band of all time

Except for Priest!

CHOUT 06.16.2007 02:13 AM

Husker Du are the greatest 2/3rd's gay band ever then.

finding nobody 06.16.2007 02:08 PM

You make good points. But, I can't agree
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fvuelNaE5Q8
Yeah!

Glice 12.21.2011 07:17 AM

I was looking for something else when I found this. What a great thread, eh?

EVOLghost 12.21.2011 12:30 PM

^ haha I remember that episode...