Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Famous Dead Rockstars (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=32566)

demonrail666 06.30.2009 07:59 PM

Famous Dead Rockstars

Who of all the famous dead rockstars do you think would've made the greatest contribution to music had they not died when they did?

I was going to do a poll but I'm sure I would've missed someone key. So ...

LifeDistortion 06.30.2009 08:13 PM

Hard to point out one but I'd probobly go with Bob Marley

Reggae music has been put into every other kind of genre of modern music in some capacity since his death, be it rock or hip-hop, or some other style.

Sonic Youth 37 06.30.2009 08:22 PM

He made his mark and was gone. I may be wrong, but reggae is reggae is reggae, not much diversity in sound (cue flaming by Suchfriends (and possibly others) in 3....2...1....)

demonrail666 06.30.2009 08:31 PM

Thinking about those that are still alive, Clapton, Macca, Page, Townsend, Jagger, Richards, Dylan, etc, none of them have really contributed much past the seventies, making me think it's unlikely that any of those that died so relatively early in their careers would've done that much of any interest. I'm not sure point I'm trying to make here, if any. Maybe that the death of someone like Lennon or even Hendrix was obviously a tragedy for him and those around him, but probably no great loss to music after that point.

That's obviously not taking into account post-60s figures like Ian Curtis, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Kurt Cobain, Dimebag Darrell, etc.

Sonic Youth 37 06.30.2009 08:32 PM

Buddy Holly?

SuperCreep 06.30.2009 09:07 PM

Coltrane, Hendrix, Curtis, D Boon, Sam Cooke, Jhonn Balance, Elliott Smith...basically a bunch of people that died when they were still producing great music and probably had a shit ton more worthwhile releases to give to the world.

Shifty Prophet 06.30.2009 10:12 PM

Thing about Hendrix is that by all accounts (his included) he was really getting burned-out with his career. He wasn't happy with the majority of the records he put out and was hoping to go into another direction. of course, when you listen to his final recordings you can obviously tell he wasnt at the same place he was at for axis or electric ladyland. This new direction that he was heading, while perhaps in the end would have been cool, at the time and now, doesn't sound that good.

Dead-Air 06.30.2009 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty Prophet
Thing about Hendrix is that by all accounts (his included) he was really getting burned-out with his career. He wasn't happy with the majority of the records he put out and was hoping to go into another direction. of course, when you listen to his final recordings you can obviously tell he wasnt at the same place he was at for axis or electric ladyland. This new direction that he was heading, while perhaps in the end would have been cool, at the time and now, doesn't sound that good.

Really? "Machine Gun" on Band of Gypsies is a totally awesome foray into heaviness in my book. Hendrix had set some rather high standards for himself to top, but given the time to do it, he might have invented whole new genres of music.

Decayed Rhapsody 07.01.2009 12:57 AM

Hendrix going into a more free jazz direction/hooking up with Miles Davis would have been amazing. Worst case scenario would be if he turned into Santana or something.

Not a rockstar, but I really think Albert Ayler could have reached even greater heights.

RanaldoNecro 07.01.2009 01:17 AM

michael jackson

viewtiful_alan 07.01.2009 01:57 AM

Biggie

LifeDistortion 07.01.2009 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
He made his mark and was gone. reggae is reggae is reggae,

Bob Marley introduced regaee to America and that music like I said has influence both the rock genre and the hip-hop genre. Nobody can't deny that Bob Marley's music influenced bands like The Clash, and pretty much any other politically minded artist like Public Enemy. You say reagee is regaee is reggae. So many artists have taken elements of reggae music and incorporated them in rock and hip hop music. And have Bob Marley to thank for introducing them to that type of music. Certainly he's not the only one who was making that kind of music at the time but you can't deny that he introduced it to the wider world.

demonrail666 07.01.2009 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Bob Marley introduced regaee to America and that music like I said has influence both the rock genre and the hip-hop genre. Nobody can't deny that Bob Marley's music influenced bands like The Clash, and pretty much any other politically minded artist like Public Enemy. You say reagee is regaee is reggae. So many artists have taken elements of reggae music and incorporated them in rock and hip hop music. And have Bob Marley to thank for introducing them to that type of music. Certainly he's not the only one who was making that kind of music at the time but you can't deny that he introduced it to the wider world.

I'd agree with his impact and influence but I'm not sure if he'd have made any great contribution in later years. He'd have more likely been the same kind of figurehead that he is now, only a living rather than dead one.

Satan 07.01.2009 09:40 AM

deflinus 07.01.2009 09:52 AM

Rob Instigator 07.01.2009 10:16 AM

is steve perry dead?

ha ha ha!

Rob Instigator 07.01.2009 10:19 AM

My answers

Satan 07.01.2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
is steve perry dead?

ha ha ha!

if only....

Zombie Robot 07.01.2009 11:33 AM

Cobain
Hendrix
Cash
Coltrane
Stayley
Lennon
Presley
Mercury
Joplin
Easy E
Curtis
Harrison
Boone
Carptenter
Crash
Nico
Sargent

soooo many :(

sarramkrop 07.01.2009 01:07 PM

Kurt Cobain
There were hints that Nico could have turned good again before she died, who knows?