Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   sebadoh appreciation thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31136)

atsonicpark 05.07.2009 10:44 AM

sebadoh appreciation thread

Okay, been spending the past few weeks listening to Sebadoh and Sentridoh and I'm sure there's already some Barlow-worship threads out there but this is the OFFICIAL appreciation thread.

This shit kills. Amazing! Wow. Freed Weed, III, Smash Your Head, Bakesale, and especially Bubble and Scrape just kill me. Amazing. I'm not a Dino fan in the least, but this stuff is just brilliant.

atsonicpark 05.07.2009 10:47 AM

"Breaking down the barriers like Sonic Youth/They got what they wanted; maybe I can get what I want, too!" haha

Derek 05.07.2009 11:09 AM

I like Sebadoh but I always felt their records got old fast. I remember listening to III, loving it, listening to it a few more times and never wanted to listen to it again.

I'd say they're definitely better than dinosaur jr.

diskaholic-anonymous 05.07.2009 11:09 AM

Bubble & Scrape

Great lo-fi fuzzy sound, nice melodies, let me remember some good days and put this on the cd player...

demonrail666 05.07.2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
I like Sebadoh but I always felt their records got old fast. I remember listening to III, loving it, listening to it a few more times and never wanted to listen to it again.

I'd say they're definitely better than dinosaur jr.

This.

dazedcola 05.07.2009 11:25 AM

Im surprised there isnt as much crossover between dino jr and sebadoh fans, i love them both.Isnt it funny how when dino jr started getting bad in the mid 90s sebadoh started getting really good?

My fav record is III, i think that captures them in all their lo-fi glory which is what most people think of when they think sebadoh. Those early tapes are priceless too, just barlow and gaffney, no egos making earnest music like daniel johnston.

noisereductions 05.07.2009 11:28 AM

I've always loved Sebadoh. Even more than Dino Jr. believe it or not. Maybe there are a lot of Barlow-love threads, but I've never seen em. I find Sebadoh a bit under-rated. They're not as commonly talked about as say Pavement (not comparing, just using an example of another band I have always f'ing loved).

Anyway, HARMACY and SMASH YR HEAD ON THE PUNK ROCK are untouchable classics in my ears. And they released a pile of other fantastic albums.

Which reminds me, I wish I still had my copy of SEBADOH IN TOKYO, which is super-out of print. Anyone have it?

demonrail666 05.07.2009 11:33 AM

I'd say that at their best (Yr Living All over Me) Dinosaur Jr were miles ahead of Sebadoh, but when they were bad they were really bad. Sebadoh never seemed to quite reach the peaks of Dinosaur but were far more consistent.

dazedcola 05.07.2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Which reminds me, I wish I still had my copy of SEBADOH IN TOKYO, which is super-out of print. Anyone have it?

you can download it here http://www.freesofree.net/albumdetail.php?AlbumID=223

SuperCreep 05.07.2009 11:45 AM

I like everything up to and including Bubble & Scrape. After Gaffney left, they lost all the "fun" to their music and started churning out that boring 90's alternacollegerock bullshit (a la Cannonball by the Breeders/Archers of Loaf/Lemonheads/etc.) that I hate. Lou Barlow is a pretty good songwriter, but too much of him can be annoying. Much like Dino needed Lou to keep Mascis in check, Sebadoh needed Gaffney to keep Lou in check.

But yeah, those first few albums are awesome. I wonder if they'll record anything again now with Lou back in Dino and all.

Rob Instigator 05.07.2009 11:45 AM

I am one of the few who was happy to see dinosaur spit into two equally fabulous bands, Dinosaur jr and Sebadoh. I love them both almost equally, but dinosaur tops sebadoh for me. sebadoh can get quite the cry over girs baby shit sometimes. still love it though.

Bubble & Scrape and Smash Yr Head On The Punk Rock are my two favorites.
Both sebadoh and dinosaur's reunion shows were fucking KILLER

narlus 05.07.2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

i think i have a copy...or maybe i have _local band feel_?

Rob Instigator 05.07.2009 11:47 AM

and do not lump the archers of loaf into the same crap pile as lemonheads and breeders. those two shit bands cannot even lick the rock scrotum of archers of loaf. they are fucking AWESOME. great live show.

greedrex 05.07.2009 11:51 AM

amazing band.
My faves are:
Harmacy
Bakesale
Bubble
Rockin' the forest b/w Vs Helmet

but they all kick ass.
Great!

Rob Instigator 05.07.2009 11:57 AM

License to Confuse always gets me rockin

don;t know about the video someone made for this though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lQTX-mMP08

The Earl Of Slander 05.07.2009 12:09 PM

On the one hand, I love both of the Sebadoh albums that I have (Freed Man and III 2LP reissues), but on the other I find that whenever I go through an intese period of really loving those records I quickly go out the other side into finding them a bit shallow. I can never really decide exactly how much I like them. Which is why I've never gotten around to buying the rest of their stuff (although I have heard Bubble & Scrape a few times, and thought it was pretty grea). But then again, when I'm in the mood I can totally love them, so...

"My soul mate is a special girl
A girl that's just like me
She'll share tremendous oral sex
And try everything she sees
She won't be insane or hung-up
Like most other girls
I'll worship her until it hurts
''cause she's on top of my world
Ewwwww, I'm a sad man
I can't ignore what life beholds for me
And I'll probably have to have sex with a lot of girls
Before my soul mate reveals herself to me
You are sweet diversion as I stomp my darker way
Don't let your heart get out of hand
I'll step on it someday
Maybe it's too sad to mention
Maybe I am gay
A moment or two may shine and sure to quickly fade away
Ewwwww, it's a sad life
Sometimes little sweet girls get left behind
But baby, baby, baby it's a man's life
And I gotta tear up everything I find"

hevusa 05.07.2009 12:11 PM

I love everything Barlow touches. I've smoked pot with Jason Loewenstein.

Sebadoh is better than Dino Jr. hands down.

batreleaser 05.07.2009 12:14 PM

i love 3, thats it though.

i like the re-issue with that extra disc with the opening song "just gimme indie rock!"

jon boy 05.07.2009 12:15 PM

they were ok up to bakesale then they just sucked.

batreleaser 05.07.2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
"Breaking down the barriers like Sonic Youth/They got what they wanted; maybe I can get what I want, too!" haha

yeah that song, it fucking rules. "started back in 83, sarted hearing thing so much differently, and hardcore wasnt doing it for me noooo mooore, started smoking pot, thought things sounded better slow, much sloweerrr and heavieerrr, black magic,..." blah blah, that song is really fucking great.