Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Jesus and Mary Chain 2012 Tour (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=79801)

Screaming Skull 07.13.2012 02:13 PM

Jesus and Mary Chain 2012 Tour

So I just picked up tickets to see the JAMC on September 6th in Atlanta. I missed out on JAMC in their hey-day, but am wondering if anyone around these parts has seen them in 2012 (or in recent years). I'm pumped either way, but what should I expect?

louder 07.13.2012 02:15 PM

Psychocandy sucks though.

Starcat 07.13.2012 02:18 PM

Lucky... I might splurge and go to Hopscotch music festival in North Carolina this fall, where they're sort of headlining. I'm worried that they've gone the way of Gang of Four or The Fall and are just too old to have their edge, especially since the really great Mary Chain songs like the ones on Psychocandy featured a very different lineup. I have no idea what to expect.

sonic sphere 07.13.2012 02:26 PM

^
who are you & what have you done with the real Starcat? :mad:

Pookie 07.13.2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
but what should I expect?

Don't expect anything then you won't be disappointed.

floatingslowly 07.13.2012 03:17 PM

I've seen them multiple times 'back in the day' when they were famous for never leaving their stools.

I'd love to see them again. Not sure if they are coming back to Texas soon though..

the ikara cult 07.13.2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starcat
Lucky... I might splurge and go to Hopscotch music festival in North Carolina this fall, where they're sort of headlining. I'm worried that they've gone the way of Gang of Four or The Fall and are just too old to have their edge, especially since the really great Mary Chain songs like the ones on Psychocandy featured a very different lineup. I have no idea what to expect.

The Fall may not be very good these days but they still have their edge, in many ways the most edgy part of The Fall (in this century anyway) is they will deliver a steaming pile of rubbish now and then, like a teenager harrassing you by dumping medical waste on your doorstep in the middle of the night, but at least you know they will help you clean it up the next morning.

Anyway, almost all of these reunions have looked utter dogshit with the notable exceptions of Mission of Burma and Swans. Apart from that, the shit stuff from the eighties has remained essentially shit, whereas the good stuff has defiled itself in front of you by getting back together and essentially achieving nothing.

Starcat 07.13.2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic sphere
^
who are you & what have you done with the real Starcat? :mad:

Why is this something that I wouldn't say? I love gang of four and the fall and jesus and mary chain especially, which is why I'm afraid that they wouldn't be able to recreate alignment of stars that made them perform great songs decades ago

Starcat 07.13.2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
The Fall may not be very good these days but they still have their edge, in many ways the most edgy part of The Fall (in this century anyway) is they will deliver a steaming pile of rubbish now and then, like a teenager harrassing you by dumping medical waste on your doorstep in the middle of the night, but at least you know they will help you clean it up the next morning.

Anyway, almost all of these reunions have looked utter dogshit with the notable exceptions of Mission of Burma and Swans. Apart from that, the shit stuff from the eighties has remained essentially shit, whereas the good stuff has defiled itself in front of you by getting back together and essentially achieving nothing.

That's a cool metaphor even if it doesn't make much sense... The fall is still edgy though I suppose, in that you get to see Mark Smith stumble around and spit a lot. That still doesn't mean I'll pay $80 to see him perform. I feel like it would just make me sad

the ikara cult 07.13.2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starcat
That's a cool metaphor even if it doesn't make much sense... The fall is still edgy though I suppose, in that you get to see Mark Smith stumble around and spit a lot. That still doesn't mean I'll pay $80 to see him perform. I feel like it would just make me sad

Its not a metaphor, its a literal statement of my actual opinion.
Unless youre talking about the medical waste thing, which is a similie. But anyway,

I wouldnt pay that much to see MES at this stage either, i saw them in 2006 and then again at a festival in 2010 and had a great time at both. He has been stumbling around since about 2002 when he got a consistent live band together. I dunno if youve heard any of the albums from the last 10 years, but a couple of them are really good, and even the others have some decent moments even if they are stinky as a whole

Starcat 07.14.2012 04:00 AM

Quote:

Its not a metaphor, its a literal statement of my actual opinion.
Unless youre talking about the medical waste thing, which is a similie. But anyway,

I wouldnt pay that much to see MES at this stage either, i saw them in 2006 and then again at a festival in 2010 and had a great time at both. He has been stumbling around since about 2002 when he got a consistent live band together. I dunno if youve heard any of the albums from the last 10 years, but a couple of them are really good, and even the others have some decent moments even if they are stinky as a whole

I guess I owe them a listen... I've been going off of live performances that I've seen online and the reports of disappointed friends. I still count them as a favorite, though.

Screaming Skull 07.14.2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Dinosaur Jr's reunion tour that featured You're Living All Over Me was mint. I have to believe that album sounded better now-a-days than it did in the 80's. Their subsequent albums have been pretty damn solid too.

Screaming Skull 07.14.2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Dinosaur Jr's reunion tour that featured You're Living All Over Me was mint. I have to believe that album sounded better now-a-days than it did in the 80's. Their subsequent albums have been pretty damn solid too.

Screaming Skull 07.14.2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Screaming Skull 07.14.2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Screaming Skull 07.14.2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

the ikara cult 07.14.2012 01:19 PM

Reading the same point four times in a row is a better analogy for listening to Dinosaur Jr than anything i could come up with, i must say.

Severian 07.15.2012 09:30 AM

Don't expect to have your life altered, as it may have been if you'd seen them in 1986, but if you go in with an open mind and realistic expectations, you'll be satisfied. They can still put on a show, and they're definitely worth seeing. They're one of my favorite bands and I wish I'd been more than four years old when Psychocandy was released.

Psychocandy shit? Give me a fucking break.

Genteel Death 07.15.2012 10:15 AM

I can't think of many bands that would be pleased to play in front 90% of
the morons who post on internet music forums.

blunderbuss 07.15.2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Don't expect to have your life altered, as it may have been if you'd seen them in 1986, but if you go in with an open mind and realistic expectations, you'll be satisfied. They can still put on a show, and they're definitely worth seeing. They're one of my favorite bands and I wish I'd been more than four years old when Psychocandy was released.

Psychocandy shit? Give me a fucking break.

I didn't see them in 1986, but I saw them in 1987 and it was dull as ditchwater. Saw them play a greatest hits set in 2007, and it was 100x better.