Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Anyone have a good naan recipe? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40670)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.29.2010 01:58 PM

Anyone have a good naan recipe?

I'm in the search for the perfect flat bread recipe. Help me.

I want to try a yogurt naan recipe today.

!@#$%! 07.29.2010 02:07 PM

google ("naan") sez:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/naan/Detail.aspx

4.5 stars out of 847 reviews is pretty fucking good

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.29.2010 02:12 PM

Yeah, I was looking at that one, but I was a little hesitant because I wasn't sure if no yogurt was traditional, or if egg was traditional. I'll give it a whirl though, maybe substitute yogurt for milk.

!@#$%! 07.29.2010 02:21 PM

i see. wikipedia sez yogurt is optional though "typical"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naan#Description

you could google "traditional naan" if you wanna do some archaeology though.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.29.2010 03:59 PM

I've got this one rising right now. I tasted the dough and it seemed really sweet though. I'm kind of worried!

atsonicpark 07.29.2010 04:10 PM

Naa

n

the ikara cult 07.29.2010 04:37 PM

sometimes, when i think the world is going to send me over the edge, i can come to SYG and there will be something like this. Never underestimate the healing power of the mundane.

!@#$%! 07.29.2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I've got this one rising right now. I tasted the dough and it seemed really sweet though. I'm kind of worried!

i wouldn't worry, the sugar is to get the yeast going. it eventually gets turned into CO2. though it seems a lot of sugar-- but see what happens when it's all over.

eh, experimentation rules & you'll get your own perfect version some day.

---

edit: actually, 1/4 cup sugar is not much for 4 1/2 cups of flour

terminal pharmacy 07.29.2010 06:38 PM

I do, I'll post it tonight. The perfect one however will be cooked in an tandoor.

automatic bzooty 07.29.2010 07:29 PM

not you, naan bread

!@#$%! 07.29.2010 10:58 PM

^ ha ha!

--

julian-- tell how it went. the recipe has 66 pictures of its victims, some better looking than others.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.30.2010 12:33 AM

It went good. I do think I'll reduce the sugar just a tad next time. It was good, but just a tad sweet for my tastes.

I found that one person suggested folding and rerolling the naan over and over to create air pockets so that it fluffs up. That worked out very well.

I then tried to add black sesame seeds into it and it tended to make the bread flat, I guess the sesame seeds destroyed the pockets. In this way with less sugar it would make good gyro/kebab bread.

I used a latke pan with good results.

I think I can improve by switching to bread flour (I only have all purpose, which is great for cakes and other uses, but I think higher gluten will improve my bread) and also by buying gee to cook it in, so I can get the pan hotter without it smoking. I'd also experiment with honey, brown sugar (I used cane sugar), and maybe doing 1/2 cup whole wheat flour.

I think I've found something I can mess with to get the results I want though.

I want to start experimenting with baguette too. Good baguette and good flat bread and I'll be set for life!

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.30.2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
sometimes, when i think the world is going to send me over the edge, i can come to SYG and there will be something like this. Never underestimate the healing power of the mundane.

Cooking's rather exciting compared to threads like "who have you been told you look like?" which dominate this forum.

SONIC GAIL 07.30.2010 11:26 AM

i got a man recipe 1 sperm, 1 egg and 9 months of misery

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.30.2010 11:29 AM

And now this thread is like every other thread on this forum.

SONIC GAIL 07.30.2010 12:39 PM

sorry had to do it you have now been DERAILED

!@#$%! 07.30.2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
It went good. I do think I'll reduce the sugar just a tad next time. It was good, but just a tad sweet for my tastes.

I found that one person suggested folding and rerolling the naan over and over to create air pockets so that it fluffs up. That worked out very well.

I then tried to add black sesame seeds into it and it tended to make the bread flat, I guess the sesame seeds destroyed the pockets. In this way with less sugar it would make good gyro/kebab bread.

I used a latke pan with good results.

I think I can improve by switching to bread flour (I only have all purpose, which is great for cakes and other uses, but I think higher gluten will improve my bread) and also by buying gee to cook it in, so I can get the pan hotter without it smoking. I'd also experiment with honey, brown sugar (I used cane sugar), and maybe doing 1/2 cup whole wheat flour.

I think I've found something I can mess with to get the results I want though.

I want to start experimenting with baguette too. Good baguette and good flat bread and I'll be set for life!

less sugar will slow up the yeast so adjust your times. recipe called for bread flour if i recall-- no? if you don't have you can add some gluten to regular flour, but yeah the gluten holds the pockets of CO2 from the yeast farts making the bubbles. whole wheat will require added gluten, usually, or the bread will turn out flat. it's an art not a science so you'll figure out the best combo.

funny i should write here, cuz i've giving up eating grains and i feel awesome without them-- do i miss bread and butter? of course-- but with a nice slice of grilled wild coho salmon all nostalgia vanishes away. i just had an awesome breakfast by the way.

SONIC GAIL 07.30.2010 12:46 PM

All i can cook is bear bread

!@#$%! 07.30.2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
All i can cook is bear bread

how do you turn these guys into bread?

SONIC GAIL 07.30.2010 01:16 PM

need some flour and beer and 16 hrs in the suntanning bed