Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sincerely underrated bands... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40120)

Rob Instigator 06.17.2010 12:26 PM

I have a Versus split 7" and the two Versus songs on it fucking RULE

tesla69 06.17.2010 12:35 PM

Kilslug, the most underrated band ever, it almost goes without saying.

narlus 06.17.2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
Kilslug, the most underrated band ever, it almost goes without saying.

the ikara cult 06.17.2010 02:30 PM

I dont really talk to people about music in the real world, or online either, so i dont really know who is rated and who isnt, so i'll just go on my perceptions of the media and other people

The Shadow Ring
I only discovered them recently, and the fact id never heard of them until about a year ago suggests to me a criminal lack of recognition, considering theyre one of the most altering things ive ever heard. Theyre probably the first band ive felt annoyed at not having heard when i was younger, say 5 or 6 years ago. I envy those of you who are 19/20 and have the means to find their music.

Supergrass
They never did an "important" album like the Manics or Radiohead, they never became "massive" like Coldplay or Muse, they were never assosciated with "indie-cred" when i was growing up like idlewild or feeder, they just wrote fantastic little songs.
The band that both Newsround and Newsnight review forgot.

narlus 06.17.2010 02:48 PM

some of these bands aren't top-shelf, but i think are at least worthwhile and don't get a lot of attention:

walkingseeds
sister ray
gray matter/senator flux
sylvia juncosa
bill direen/bilders
whoever is behind Jim Collins/Boots/Arian Sample/Tommy Roundtree/Nemo 2000
Steven R Smith
walkabouts

batreleaser 06.17.2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
I dont really talk to people about music in the real world, or online either, so i dont really know who is rated and who isnt, so i'll just go on my perceptions of the media and other people

The Shadow Ring
I only discovered them recently, and the fact id never heard of them until about a year ago suggests to me a criminal lack of recognition, considering theyre one of the most altering things ive ever heard. Theyre probably the first band ive felt annoyed at not having heard when i was younger, say 5 or 6 years ago. I envy those of you who are 19/20 and have the means to find their music.

Supergrass
They never did an "important" album like the Manics or Radiohead, they never became "massive" like Coldplay or Muse, they were never assosciated with "indie-cred" when i was growing up like idlewild or feeder, they just wrote fantastic little songs.
The band that both Newsround and Newsnight review forgot.

Shadow Ring is most definitely not underrated by those that are aware of them, but I'm glad you brought them up, love that band and Lambkin's solo work.

Decayed Rhapsody 06.17.2010 11:52 PM

Steven R. Smith is brilliant, along with all his side projects. Jeweled Antler Collective in general did some amazing stuff in the 90's and it doesn't seem to be remembered...

Better_Than_Deux 06.18.2010 01:37 AM

nikki minaj