Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Movie Soundtrack Albums (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=25052)

LifeDistortion 05.05.2009 12:56 AM

I post this with complete sincerity

Tokolosh 05.05.2009 02:57 AM

I watched Das Boot on BBC the other day and was reminded how brilliant Klaus Doldinger's score is.
Highly recommended.

NWRA 05.05.2009 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
I used to have the soundtrack to Cabaret. I love that movie. I wish I still had that record.

Damn, yeah of course, I don't know how I forgot about that one. I guess I'd have to say New York, New York too.

MellySingsDoom 05.05.2009 05:29 AM

NWRA 05.05.2009 11:04 AM

So many horror-films have good ones. I love the obvious John Carpenter ones, and The Fog and Halloween 3. And, of course, the classic Psychomania soundtrack.

Kylerobert 05.06.2009 04:13 PM

I love that song throughout True Romance

NWRA 05.06.2009 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kylerobert
I love that song throughout True Romance

If you're meaning the xylophone one (also used on Badlands), then I definitely agree!

sarramkrop 06.14.2009 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
didnt boredoms minus eye do the soundtrack to ichi the killer?

Thanks. You saved me from starting a thread to find out.

Everyneurotic 06.14.2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
didnt boredoms minus eye do the soundtrack to ichi the killer?...

actually, if you read the credits at the end of the movie, it says "karera muscation: YOSHIMI.HIRA.ATR.EYE"

----

soundtrack (oop): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IF4EH9JE

SONIC GAIL 04.14.2010 10:07 AM

I am completly obsessed with this. "I am weary" I listened to this song 6 times this morning. "Indian War Whoop" is brilliant. I can watch this movie over and over and love it more each time. Each song is so perfect with each scene and really carries me into the television with the characters.

DanielCarlson 04.14.2010 11:09 AM

Most music in David Lynch's movies, especially the Twin Peaks soundtracks. Angelo Badalamenti is a genius.

Most music by Morricone.

The Taxi Driver soundtrack.

The El Topo soundtrack.

The Dead Man soundtrack.

Those are some of my favorites.

Derek 04.14.2010 11:36 AM

Cronenberg's Crash has my favourite soundtrack... it really adds to the atmosphere of when the cars are racing up the highway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nVy9J6avjY

noisereductions 04.14.2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWRA
So many horror-films have good ones. I love the obvious John Carpenter ones, and The Fog and Halloween 3. And, of course, the classic Psychomania soundtrack.

pretty much the only thing my wife listens to is horror sndtrks.

Genteel Death 07.31.2012 12:39 PM

From Sacred Bones Records' newsletter:

Hello friends,

On August 7th we will be re-issuing the soundtrack to a film which has essentially served as the chief aesthetic inspiration for the entire label’s roster and design. David Lynch’s Eraserhead rests firmly at the top of that canon of American underground culture for which there is no genre. A staple of the dark underbelly of popular cinema that was originally only viewable at art-house screenings or on the Midnight Movie circuit, Eraserhead is a truly unadulterated offering; and much of its sensation lies beyond the purely visual realm. To lay in the dark and listen to this dizzying succession of blissful noise is a different way to get “lost” in the vast space of then the visuals of the film itself. It’s no stretch to consider this soundtrack an experimental, early industrial masterpiece. Eraserhead’s individual passion and personal tone shines through even in the thickest moments of fierce static, an audio undertaking that took Lynch and sound designer Alan Splet years to perfect. This approach pretty accurately sums up what we strive to do as a label as well. The packaging for this release (edition of 1500) comes outfitted in high gloss black on black art-paper stock, and includes: a sixteen-page booklet, three 11" × 11" print stills from the film, digital download, and a limited-edition Peter Ivers 7" featuring a previously unreleased B-side: “Pete’s Boogie”. Working with Mr. Lynch and his music supervisor Mr. Dean Hurley on this project has been a privilege and a joy and we could not be more proud or humbled to be able to present this release.
Please join us August 16th at the Roxie Theater in San Francisco for a very special 35mm screening of Eraserhead in celebration of the soundtrack release. We will also be showing Sacred Bones related videos and shorts, as well as Lynch’s very early short film The Grandmother (1970), a precursor of sorts to Eraserhead. Tickets are 15 dollars. Check here for more information.

demonrail666 07.31.2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99
One of the things I've always said I wanted to do before I die was watch an actual screening of Eraserhead

You really should. I don't know where you're from but I'd imagine it still gets semi regular midnight screenings in most big cities. Definitely worth a trip if you ever hear about a screening nearby. And if it's at a flea pit, all the better.

Genteel Death 07.31.2012 01:13 PM

I've tried listening to Goblin's soundtrack for ''La Via Della Droga'' a few times, recently, but apart from a few tracks it's just not for me. The movie itself is alright, certainly not deserving the comparisons with Pasolini that some Italian reviewers make. Just because it uses some real life smackheads it doesn't make it a movie particularly worth watching. I have also had the soundtrack to ''Lucifer Rising'' on heavy rotation. So fucking good.

demonrail666 07.31.2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I have also had the soundtrack to ''Lucifer Rising'' on heavy rotation. So fucking good.

Without wanting to sound like an even bigger Anger fanboy than usual, I think Anger had a really unique creative influence on the musicians he worked with. I love what Page did for him and also really like Jagger's soundtrack for Invocation. He was also around Jagger when he was writing material for Performance. Not necessarily their best stuff but arguably some of their most out there and intense, and I expect closer to where they were at, at that time, than their more official releases.

tripsk 07.31.2012 02:32 PM

The 'Mean Creek' Sound track is particularly amazing. I highly recommend a listen to that one.

Genteel Death 08.26.2012 05:55 AM

It's a shame that the soundtrack for David Lynch's ''The Grandmother'' hasn't been issued on one format or another. The music composed by Tractor is great and it would be amazing to hear more from the same sessions.

Savage Clone 08.26.2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Without wanting to sound like an even bigger Anger fanboy than usual, I think Anger had a really unique creative influence on the musicians he worked with. I love what Page did for him and also really like Jagger's soundtrack for Invocation. He was also around Jagger when he was writing material for Performance. Not necessarily their best stuff but arguably some of their most out there and intense, and I expect closer to where they were at, at that time, than their more official releases.

This is a pretty spot-on observation, though in the case of Beausoleil I kind of think they had a certain reciprocal influence on one another. That combination was totally lightning in a bottle. Some of the best music ever made and one of the greatest films I have ever seen.