Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   be your own pet (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=79655)

Derek 07.08.2012 07:46 PM

be your own pet

love them so much.

2012 is definitely their year guys, i can feel it.

SpaceCadetHayden 07.08.2012 07:54 PM

wait are you joking or

Derek 07.08.2012 08:13 PM

dude they were signed to THURSTON's label, why the fuck would i be joking?

Savage Clone 07.08.2012 08:32 PM

I guess one could consider it a joke due to the band's music being laughably forgettable, boring and completely without distinction. The level of their profile seriously baffles me.

Derek 07.08.2012 08:34 PM

you're right, i'm more of a Magik Markers or Religious Knives guy myself.

EVOLghost 07.08.2012 08:54 PM

Lol I forgot about them. Do they still exist?

SpaceCadetHayden 07.08.2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I guess one could consider it a joke due to the band's music being laughably forgettable, boring and completely without distinction. The level of their profile seriously baffles me.

bless you, daddy

sy2004 07.09.2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost

they announced their split back in august 2008. Singer Jemina Pearl released a solo album afterwards which was not good at all. I liked BYOP at the time.
Btw, what is happening at Ecstatic Peac? No updates, home page reported as attack site,..?

louder 07.09.2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

lol me too. they had that one song with a funny line about something.

Derek 07.09.2012 04:21 AM

thurston and kim split up because it was revealed thurston was fucking jemina pearl.

Pookie 07.09.2012 04:24 AM

There's a BYOP CD in a charity shop here. It's been there for months and, having never heard them, thought it might be worth the £1.99 asking price to give them a proper listen.

I went there at the weekend and looked at it again, but bought a Liza Minnelli CD instead.

Derek 07.09.2012 04:26 AM

a much better choice, trust me.

Genteel Death 07.09.2012 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
There's a BYOP CD in a charity shop here. It's been there for months and, having never heard them, thought it might be worth the £1.99 asking price to give them a proper listen.

I went there at the weekend and looked at it again, but bought a Liza Minnelli CD instead.

They're like the Simon Cowell version of Sonic Youth. Don't waste your money on them.

louder 07.09.2012 09:55 AM

hol' up i ain't tryna stunt man but these yeezy's jumped over the jump man

tesla69 07.09.2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sy2004
happening at Ecstatic Peac? No updates, home page reported as attack site,..?

I get the impression music is over and its all about flowers and cream

hypertonic 07.09.2012 10:06 AM

It's weird. I had a few CDs/EPs. Their music didn't age well, even just months later. I saw 'em once (I only went for Awesome Color).

The closest I can get to that stuff these days is JEFF the Brotherhood. My question is, WTF happened with Awesome Color? Alison was playing in Demolished Thoughts but then T's solo album was named that and it sort of overshadowed that project. Those kids were lots of fun.

I guess Turbo Fruits are still together buts it hilarious man. I was bored and they came to my town so I went to talk to Jonas. We chatted a bit about this. I asked him why he thought Awesome Color broke up. He gave me some story about how you have to have some pop element to be marketable. Hahah. Yeah.. That was entertaining. My friend that I do a drone project with always gives me shit for all those bands, lol. So yeah, nice thread Derek. :D

I still love Awesome Color though and I wish they had had more exposure/success.

EVOLghost 07.09.2012 10:33 AM

Awesome color is awesome.

I'm still pissed I didn't get to see them open for SY in STL.

SY did put on a kickass show though....

stu666 07.09.2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sy2004
Btw, what is happening at Ecstatic Peac? No updates, home page reported as attack site,..?

Ecstatic Peace is now defunct...

hypertonic 07.09.2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Awesome color is awesome.

I'm still pissed I didn't get to see them open for SY in STL.

SY did put on a kickass show though....

*Was :( I didn't catch that one, but I did catch the last one they played in STL at a college there, with some crazy psych-rock double drummer opening act. It was like an insane high-art performance thing. I hung out with them after the KC show years ago w/ BYOP, and they are really fun amazing peeps. Went running around KC the next day after crashing and watching Kill Yr Idols at some kids apt.

When I saw then last they remembered -- gave a shout out.. It was sad not many people were there. Derek asked if they had any in house reverb, and the sound guy finally cranked it (and I mean maxxxed!). Derek just rolled with it and blasted out an incredible set. I really am interested in what they do...

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
Ecstatic Peace is now defunct...

I refuse to believe........!!!

Pookie 07.09.2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
They're like the Simon Cowell version of Sonic Youth. Don't waste your money on them.

Thanks, I won't.

I think I spotted an LL Cool J CD anyway.