Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What's all the fuss over High Places? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=24252)

noisereductions 08.11.2008 09:03 AM

What's all the fuss over High Places?

It's quaint and atmospheric. I'm not saying they're bad. But every song on the album pretty much sounds the same. Why are critics going nuts over this?

al shabbray 08.11.2008 09:04 AM

high places?
whats that?

gmku 08.11.2008 09:07 AM

Apparently there isn't any fuss? I've never heard of them either.

drrrtyboots 08.11.2008 09:22 AM

They're one of the "hype brooklyn" bands getting a lot of attention, starting with Pitchfork which causes a lot of other internet sites to hype them up which then leads to the magazines etc. They're a fun band, pretty decent live but probably not worth the hype.

noisereductions 08.11.2008 09:58 AM

Well they were first hyped by eMusic when eMu released their singles collection as part of their new series of hype-worthy bands. THEN pfork gave them the BEST NEW MUSIC tag. Most reviews that followed praised them, including an EDITORS PICK tag from Allmusic. Etc etc.

al shabbray 08.11.2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Well they were first hyped by eMusic when eMu released their singles collection as part of their new series of hype-worthy bands. THEN pfork gave them the BEST NEW MUSIC tag. Most reviews that followed praised them, including an EDITORS PICK tag from Allmusic. Etc etc.

thanks for clearing that up. I havent received the hype yet

noisereductions 08.11.2008 10:17 AM

Be on the lookout.

batreleaser 08.11.2008 11:20 AM

all these fucking bands, high places, fleet foxes, all jumping onto the 'new wierd america' whatever fuckin scene about 7 years too late. and they all are boring as fuck. these type of bands bug me so much; pitchfork says theyre cool and then every nerdy fucking hipster sees them in the best new music section and claims to love them. it seems like all these bands are trying to be animal collective, only problem is, the animal collective is great, these bands suck hard hard hard. fuck em.

Alex's Trip 08.11.2008 12:39 PM

You guys are way too concerned with reviews, hype, etc...

I like this band. But I don't know about their review status. I clicked around through bands friend lists and wound up on their site.

Derek 08.11.2008 12:40 PM

it's okay to like them but generally most music hyped up is extremely mediocre.

Rob Instigator 08.11.2008 12:42 PM

animal collective is pretty humdrum as well man

every spin that their records get at casa instigator is less enjoyable by the week.

me duermo!!!!

what happened to ROCK?????

gmku 08.11.2008 12:45 PM

I bought Feels because I gave in to all the hype, and yeah, I never got it, even after a lot of spins, and it still leaves me cold. They just make me go, "wtf...."

It has some pretty farout artwork, though.

noisereductions 08.11.2008 12:57 PM

I dont CARE about hype at all. What I'm asking is, WHY are High Places getting attention? And since brought up, why are Fleet Foxes getting attention? I just don't hear a quality in their music that makes me want to replay the record.

noisereductions 08.11.2008 01:00 PM

And Animal Collective actually is really really great.

Derek 08.11.2008 01:56 PM

yeah Animal Collective rule, they deserve the hype

noisereductions 08.11.2008 01:59 PM

The reason being that Animal Collective actually make interesting records, that have incredible melodies, and each album sounds different! They explore everything from noise, to folk to electronics to whatever.

Back to what I originally said about High Places-- every song on the album (or singles collection, whatever) sounds like the same song to me!

SYRFox 08.11.2008 02:33 PM

Animal Collective are great great great
Fleet Foxes suck hard

About High Places... yeah, they certainly do not deserve all this fuss (and they're now signed on Thrill Jockey, WHAT?). Their single compilations was not bad, it had a few very good tunes, but it mostly sounded all the same and the instrumentations were not very interesting. I hope their new album will be better, that "Golden" track is really good.

SuperCreep 08.11.2008 02:42 PM

Animal Collective are alright. I do agree with batreleaser that all of these derivative bands are very dull.

I've never heard High Places (yet), but if they're anything like Fleet Foxes, I'm staying the fuck away.

SYRFox 08.11.2008 02:50 PM

No, High Places have nothing to do with Fleet Foxes. They're more in a kind of uh, electronic thingy, with female vocals.

noisereductions 08.11.2008 03:14 PM

Yeah, 2 totally different sounding bands.