Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   wire - red barked tree (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=43248)

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 04:19 AM

wire - red barked tree

There's a brand new wire album coming out in JANUARY! I am so excited; Wire has long been one of my all time favorite bands (and my biggest influence as a "musician").. it took me a couple of years to get into OBJECT 47 but I think it's a masterpiece now. I am very excited for this.

Red Barked Tree is the tenth studio album by post-punk pioneers Wire. It features the line-up of Colin Newman, Robert Grey, and Graham Lewis. As can be heard from the lead-off single "Two Minutes," the album is a further exploration of the territory mapped out by Wire's post-2000 albums Object 47Send: a louder, if less abstracted, return to the style of their late seventies output. The band will release the album on their own Pink Flag Records imprint on January 10th, 2011.

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 04:21 AM

Listen to the two minute new single two minutes here:

http://thequietus.com/articles/05117...ed-barked-tree

I fucking love it, the riff is classic Wire but with the Send-era "weird processing on the guitars". It ends a bit early, but the end has some haunting electronic sounds that inspire glee in me for the next album. I have a good feeling about it.

DanielCarlson 12.01.2010 04:24 AM

I've only heard their first three albums... what else is worth checking out?

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 04:29 AM

According to a press release, the album "rekindles a lyricism sometimes absent from Wire’s previous work and reconnects with the live energy of performance, harnessed and channeled from extensive touring over the past few years" and that the songs "range from the hymnal 'Adapt' to the barking sledgehammer art-punk of 'Two Minutes', the album encompasses the full palette of style and nuance that has always endeared Wire to pastel-tinged pop aficionados and bleeding-edge avant-rockers alike."

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 04:46 AM

Well, the first 3 albums really are the best, but get BEHIND THE CURTAIN, it's awesome too. They did some stuff when they reformed for the first time that not a lot of people are into, but there's some interesting sounds contained within. But really, if you just want to go for the best stuff, get Read and Burn 1-3 and Object 47 (which, trust me, will probably take you a few listens to appreciate, but its worth it).

DanielCarlson 12.01.2010 05:14 AM

Thanks, I'll check those out. Since you always hear that the first three albums without a doubt is their best work and that they haven't done anything even near as good after that, I haven't bothered to check their later stuff out, even though I've loved Pink Flag and Chairs Missing for years.

TheFoxBen 12.01.2010 08:14 AM

I saw them about a month ago and they did play some new songs, sounds pretty good so far (but I like everything I've heard by them). I might go see them again in February, I don't know yet... Anyway, I'm looking forward to this record !

PAULYBEE2656 12.01.2010 08:18 AM

looking forward to this. object 47 i see as a blip as i really dont like it....

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 10:58 AM

Their albums like "the drill" are actually really good; it reminds me of the Fall, when they started experimenting with electronics and whatnot. Some of it wasn't to my liking -- and almost all of it required quite a few listenings to get what the hell they were doing -- and it's not exactly the stuff I reach for when I want the Fall... but most of it is still good, and no album was a "stinker" perse.

HOWEVER, even if you dont' want to hear, you know, the Drill, Ideal Copy, and all that.. you have to get Read and Burn 1-3, they're absolutely essential. They're like a mix of EVERYTHING they'd ever done... great stuff.

An interesting thing about Wire is how they have songs they never ended up ever recorded... DOCUMENT AND EYEWITNESS is a live album where more than half is unreleased songs! Then, they did TURN AND STROKE, another live album with MORE unreleased songs -- then, of course, the Peel Sessions album has a few, and Behind the Curtain has like 15 (mostly pre-Pink Flag) completely unreleased songs, that were never recorded in any way later. I think the thing is, this band was always always always moving, which may have been their "problem", but was a great inspiration to me.

Document and Eyewitness is probably the album to hear last, because it helps to already be really into them when you hear it, but you get to hear audiences scream for "PINK FLAG"... so, Wire plays free jazz! The hostile crowd throws bottles at them, so Wire have a song on the album called "instrumental (throwing bottles)" which is... the audience throwing bottles at them.

PAULYBEE2656 12.01.2010 01:02 PM

read and burn trilogy is utterly amazing! their album send is awesome too...same era of course...

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 01:11 PM

Yes. Actually, Read and burn 3 came out like 5 years after Send if I remember correctly. Kinda weird.

I love their overprocessed guitars and shit. Crazy. I wonder how they got some of those tones..

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.03.2010 11:38 AM

Colin Newman interview:

http://www.silbermedia.com/qrd/archi...linNewman.html

scott v 12.03.2010 11:44 AM

they were much better with Bruce Gilbert... oh well.

atsonicpark 12.26.2010 11:34 AM

wow this new album is crazy.

I dig it!

Decayed Rhapsody 12.26.2010 12:37 PM

I gotta pick this up.

atsonicpark 12.27.2010 08:44 AM

it rules

TheFoxBen 12.27.2010 07:42 PM

I listened to it today and it's probably their best in a loooong time.

scott v 12.28.2010 09:23 AM

Listened to the clips on itunes the other nite and it sounds better than Object 47... which to me was OK as to me it was as if they are still trying to figure out what to do without Gilbert but now they seem to be beyond that... i'll probably see them live this spring

PAULYBEE2656 12.30.2010 01:32 PM

best work since read and burn and send.. briliant album!

krastian 01.02.2011 01:50 PM

I'm hoping to see them in DC this April!! Easily in my top 10 bands ever.