Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Industrial music. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=5861)

Glice 09.07.2006 05:22 PM

Industrial music.

Hello. I've been listening to a lot of early industrial today, and I thought I'd start a thread about it. I have been particularly enjoying SPK and Non this evening. So basically, I'm looking for bands that aren't as well known from the glory days of 76-ish to the early 80's. Anyone here particularly knowledgable about this sort of thing?

porkmarras 09.07.2006 05:27 PM

I could see this coming at one point.Well done for getting into Non wich i wouldnt really think of as industrial but refer to our chat on Monday about that.

Glice 09.07.2006 05:29 PM

Aye. It took me a while, but only because I was waiting to find something on vinyl.

I know it's not really industrial, and most of the people in that scene tend to dislike the term... but I refuse to use the absurd 'England's hidden reverse' term.

Laibach, anyone?

porkmarras 09.07.2006 05:34 PM

I'll have to refresh my memory about them.

*enters Sir Clone*

Glice 09.07.2006 05:35 PM

porkmarras 09.07.2006 05:38 PM

You see,Clone and my best mate back home would totally concur on that look being something to cherish but i've been aquainted with it on the so called 'gay scene' so may times that it's almost like something that you casually wear for a shopping trip to Tesco.

Savage Clone 09.07.2006 05:39 PM

My friend contributed the "Rape Tape" to Non's "Might" LP.

I like the early work of Hunting Lodge, and the California husband and wife duo Psyclones are severely underrated.
More will come to mind soon. I listened to a lot of this stuff for a long time.

"Fascist Chic" rules, homo-ubiquitousness notwithstanding.

Glice 09.07.2006 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
My friend contributed the "Rape Tape" to Non's "Might" LP.

I like the early work of Hunting Lodge, and the California husband and wife duo Psyclones are severely underrated.
More will come to mind soon. I listened to a lot of this stuff for a long time.

"Fascist Chic" rules, homo-ubiquitousness notwithstanding.

Hunting Lodge? I'm playing with them soon.

Must be a different one, surely?

Savage Clone 09.07.2006 05:42 PM

Ask them if they had a tune called "Tribal Warning Shot" in the early 80s and find out!

Glice 09.07.2006 05:44 PM

Ah, no, they definitely didn't. Unless they were a band whilst still the wrong side of puberty.

porkmarras 09.07.2006 05:44 PM

I'll have to go for the 'it rules' option then.I'm stuck in the early 90s at the moment so i'm wearing tie-dye tshirts and dreadlocks.Accidentally reading a random free newspaper that you get on the buses today i've found out that the 'rave' look is back.Bless them,they put Paris Hilton sporting such a thing.

Savage Clone 09.07.2006 05:45 PM

Well, then tell 'em their name has been used up!

Glice 09.07.2006 05:47 PM

Mmm, I definitely will do. Although I'm pretty sure they won't care.

I've found some of the original HL on slsk, so I shall check that out presently. Any more for any more?

Savage Clone 09.07.2006 05:50 PM

Vasilisk from Japan are cool as fuck.

porkmarras 09.07.2006 05:52 PM

Drone,do you like Clock DVA and the whole body music scene?Skinny Puppy and the like.

Savage Clone 09.07.2006 05:54 PM

Oh, man!
Clock DVA reference reminds me!

ANTIGROUP, also known as TAGC. Clock-DVA related, absolutely essential!!!

"Digitaria" is one of my favorite LPs ever!
I will upload for you!

I liked Skinny Puppy in high school, but not so much now, save for nostalgia.

porkmarras 09.07.2006 05:57 PM

I personally don't need it because i've been indoctrinated big time but it would be nice for glice to hear.Whatever happened to them?I think sonicl could also be great on that.

Savage Clone 09.07.2006 05:57 PM

I was speaking more for Glice; I figured you had that one by now.

Glice 09.07.2006 06:10 PM

Tribal warning shot, yes, very nice. I've a feeling a trip to Exotica may be in order, as I'm pretty sure I haven't a snowball's chance in hell of finding half of these.

Savage Clone 09.07.2006 06:13 PM

Look for a compilation called "Vhutemas Archetypi." It's on there. Good comp, SPK, early Laibach, Lustmørd, Gerechtigkeits Liga. Dunno how rare it is; I've had it forever.

porkmarras 09.07.2006 06:13 PM

..................the absurd 'England's hidden reverse' term...............

Laibach, anyone?[/quote]
Well well,how many people do you know who are visible in this society and are not aknowledged like they should?

porkmarras 09.07.2006 06:14 PM

Start with Martin Denny's 'Exotica' and,who knows,take it from there.

porkmarras 09.07.2006 06:14 PM

www.weirdsville.com

Glice 09.07.2006 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
Well well,how many people do you know who are visible in this society and are not aknowledged like they should?

Hundreds. It's more the term itself rather than what it attempts to describe. I know there isn't one over-riding ideology which ties together the scene, which isn't particularly a scene or a genre, but there are enough commonalities for it to be a recognisable thing. 'Early-industrial' seems faintly ambiguous enough, so long as no-one from the scene is reading this (very, very unlikely I should think).

porkmarras 09.07.2006 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Hundreds. It's more the term itself rather than what it attempts to describe. I know there isn't one over-riding ideology which ties together the scene, which isn't particularly a scene or a genre, but there are enough commonalities for it to be a recognisable thing. 'Early-industrial' seems faintly ambiguous enough, so long as no-one from the scene is reading this (very, very unlikely I should think).

Exactly.There isn't a 'scene' as such but just common ground that happens to be shared willingly or not with other musicians(even though this isnt true in what people ACTUALLY sound like).It's just the name of a book to describe musicians that,let's face it,do not get much recognition in this country as much as they should.

Glice 09.07.2006 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I would like to offer up Throbbing Gristle and Controlled Bleeding. I also highly recommend, 'The Way I Feel' album by Boyd Rice. I nice collection of him working with some of the biggest names in industrial music.

One thing about Controlled Bleeding, some of it is more NON sounding and some of their stuff is very Front 242 ish.

Thanks for this. I'm pretty on top of the well-known names though, but if I weren't I would be very grateful for this lot. TG are kind of my archetype for how to be an experimental band without lending yourself to a load of wankishness, which is important methinks.

Пятхъдесят Шест 09.07.2006 10:35 PM

Fuck yeah Glice. I don't have the energy to go through bands I like. But fuck yes. Да.

golden child 09.07.2006 11:38 PM

throbbing gristle obviously, coil too. check out psychic tv and cabaret volitaire if you havent already.

you know boyd rice was a priest in the church of satan? pretty interesting i thought.

porkmarras 09.08.2006 01:35 AM

Yeah he was at one point,bless him.Coil are most definately not industrial music even though some elements of it certainly slipped through the net.Coil are just Coil like only Coil could be:Coil.

porkmarras 09.08.2006 01:57 AM

Godflesh for sure.

Glice 09.08.2006 07:04 AM

I'm trying to procure my laptopper mates Coil-alike things that I was talking about Porkie.

All good names people, but lets dig a little deeper into the pits of weird 80's things for Uncle Glice, eh?

PTV are probably the patchiest band imaginable. I have a couple of blinders of theirs, and some absolute gash. Live in Tokyo falling firmly into the latter, Mirrors/ Unclean being one of their few redemptive things.

Savage Clone 09.08.2006 09:29 AM

Temporary Temple is absolutely essential PTV.

sonicl 09.08.2006 09:34 AM

Twelve 88 Cartel. They were a Portsmouth band while I was living there (late 1980s - early 1990s), fairly mid-period Cabaret Voltaire-ish. Did a couple of Peel sessions and a small handful of albums.

Everyneurotic 09.08.2006 09:37 AM

godflesh?

that's like tapping the hatch open for ministry -> nine inch nails/marilyn manson a.k.a. wrongly tagged industrial music by the media.

Glice 09.08.2006 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
godflesh?

that's like tapping the hatch open for ministry -> nine inch nails/marilyn manson a.k.a. wrongly tagged industrial music by the media.

I think industrial was always a pretty open genre, but it always had this interest in synthetic, militaristic beats. I mean, Cab Voltaire, Nitzer Ebb, Skinny Puppy, Controlled Bleeding, it's pretty easy to see how you get from that to NIN, early Manson, Rammstein... especially Rammstein, who are pretty much Laibach-lite. It's a shame that the genre has become associated with one narrow part of the early stuff, but I don't think it's necessarily a 'media contrivance' so much as it's symptomatic of the way that genres change over the years.

Inhuman 09.08.2006 09:45 AM

Quote:

Hello. I've been listening to a lot of early industrial today, and I thought I'd start a thread about it. I have been particularly enjoying SPK and Non this evening. So basically, I'm looking for bands that aren't as well known from the glory days of 76-ish to the early 80's. Anyone here particularly knowledgable about this sort of thing?

Give Throbbing Gristle a shot if you haven't already. I don't fancy them myself, but I respect them for the role they played in early industrial

Glice 09.08.2006 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
Give Throbbing Gristle a shot if you haven't already. I don't fancy them myself, but I respect them for the role they played in early industrial

I have a lot of TG. They're definitely in my top 5 bands list, at least for today. But yes, everyone really should listen to TG.

Everyneurotic 09.08.2006 09:53 AM

well, i was referring to how the media went on this "industrial" craze by the mid-90's when everyone with a digital pedal board distortion, samples from tv and movies and distorted vocals were industrial. it certainly is an open genre, but there were bands that had little or no sound related to the industrial spirit that you describe, you had stuff ranging from synth pop with distorted guitars (nine inch nalis) to skronky rock with extensive uses of samples (early manson) getting tagged as the "new wild sound sweeping the airwaves". ministry and rammstein do have more in common with classic sound industrial, and some of manson's antichrist superstar have the beat driven dark and sinister trashcan noise qualities of industrial. godflesh are like an entity of their own, in my opinion.

porkmarras 09.08.2006 10:02 AM

Quote:

I have a lot of TG. They're definitely in my top 5 bands list, at least for today. But yes, everyone really should listen to TG.

What about Front Line Assembly?

Glice 09.08.2006 10:04 AM

Aye, I'm aware of FLA. I bought a tape in Hull once.