Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Game (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35893)

noisereductions 11.20.2009 03:37 PM

The Game

I never really talk about him much, but he's one of my favorite current rappers. Anyone else into him? (I'm purposely not saying much in the first post, cuz if this thread doesn't take off, I'm not wasting my e-breath).

noisereductions 11.20.2009 03:38 PM

ps, if yr curious something like this for rappers currently making records:

1. Lil Wayne
2. DOOM
3. Ghostface Killah
4. TI
5. The Game

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.20.2009 05:06 PM

I think The Game is the shit. sometimes he milks that whole "i am the renaissance of 90s gangsta rap" all in all I dig his style. Perfect westcoast beats to represent on all this bullshit on the radio and take rap back from that dirty south phase and bring it back jumpin on the west. Further, he actually brings substance from time to time mixed into that shit.

My favorite The Game line..

"and for every nigga listening.. I was supposed to be amongst kings my moms shouted out at my christening"

Derek 11.20.2009 05:21 PM

I have The Documentary and I think the majority of the tracks are hell of strong. Anything else I should listen to? :)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.20.2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
I have The Documentary and I think the majority of the tracks are hell of strong. Anything else I should listen to? :)

yeah, throw that whack as 50cent shit out the window and pick up The Doctor's Advocate and LAX and the underground Untold Story floating around under "discography" or "bootleg"

I never liked the Game until he dropped that whole eastcoastish thing and went full west coast after Doctor's Advocate.

Toilet & Bowels 11.20.2009 09:02 PM

seriously, the game? jeeyayzus fuck

noisereductions 11.20.2009 10:43 PM

I love all 3 majors: Documentary, Doctor's Advocate and LAX. Each one is better than the one before.

His indie albums on Get Low are alright, but lack the production.

Mixtape-wise, I'd recommend FIFTH ELEMENT (G-Unit era), and then Ghost Unit and You Know What It Is Vol 3 for his post G-Unit shiz.

He's so awesome. His flow is incredible, and the dichotomy of his lyrics/personality always reminds me of the apex of 2Pac's work. The Game is hands down my favorite West Coast rapper that's currently making records. He's unique, and real. But I mean really real. Like he's sensitive AND a prick. Which is in a lot of ways more honest than just painting the stage persona that most rappers do.

noisereductions 11.20.2009 10:48 PM

also, I know LAX was in my Top 10 last year, but honestly the track "My Life" he did with Lil Wayne on there is probably my favorite song of 2008. To me it's his most accomplished track. It's up there for me with like Pac's "So Many Tears"... the lyrics kill me. Incredible.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.21.2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
seriously, the game? jeeyayzus fuck

is hating all you do?

I'd award you the playa hater of the year 2009 award but I think you already got a stack of plaques from years past ;)

Derek 11.21.2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
yeah, throw that whack as 50cent shit out the window and pick up The Doctor's Advocate and LAX and the underground Untold Story floating around under "discography" or "bootleg"

I never liked the Game until he dropped that whole eastcoastish thing and went full west coast after Doctor's Advocate.

I can't throw it out the window because then I'd need to throw my harddrive out!

Okay I will further investigate into The Game, thanks!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.21.2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

I can't throw it out the window because then I'd need to throw my harddrive out!

I recommend it, the Game is one of the few contemporary rappers I can handle cuz he has the vibe, sound, style and beats from the 90s west coast era, and that is all I can listen to. He is one of the few rappers who is immune to this whole dirty south/ super pop take over of 21st century rap and hip hop. Him and Snoop still keep it real like it was 1995! after all, in reality the streets here haven't changed much in 15 years and we still need a soundtrack ;)

Inhuman 11.21.2009 05:06 PM

lyrically he's terrible, but has great production and a fitting voice. Although turf talk is where the west coast is at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra1qWMYB_c8

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.21.2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
lyrically he's terrible, but has great production and a fitting voice. Although turf talk is where the west coast is at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra1qWMYB_c8

this is true. The yay ar-ee-uh is the new west coast keeping it alive and popping

viewtiful_alan 11.21.2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
ps, if yr curious something like this for rappers currently making records:

1. Lil Wayne
2. DOOM
3. Ghostface Killah
4. TI
5. The Game

1. Lil Wayne
2. Ghostface Killah
3. Jay-Z
4. Kanye West
5. Drake

Dont hate.

viewtiful_alan 11.21.2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I love all 3 majors: Documentary, Doctor's Advocate and LAX. Each one is better than the one before.

His indie albums on Get Low are alright, but lack the production.

Mixtape-wise, I'd recommend FIFTH ELEMENT (G-Unit era), and then Ghost Unit and You Know What It Is Vol 3 for his post G-Unit shiz.

He's so awesome. His flow is incredible, and the dichotomy of his lyrics/personality always reminds me of the apex of 2Pac's work. The Game is hands down my favorite West Coast rapper that's currently making records. He's unique, and real. But I mean really real. Like he's sensitive AND a prick. Which is in a lot of ways more honest than just painting the stage persona that most rappers do.

Its almost comical how 50 is scared of getting on a track with the Game.
50 Cent needs to retire... he's already pretty much reached complete joke status.

HaydenAsche 11.21.2009 08:08 PM

The Game doesn't interest me. I hate the West Coast rap scene as a whole going back as far as time exists, though. I don't know. Just can't dig it. I'm from Minnesota. The only rap I get into is people rhyming about rolling jibs and shit.

noisereductions 11.21.2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
1. Lil Wayne
2. Ghostface Killah
3. Jay-Z
4. Kanye West
5. Drake

Dont hate.

Jay would be in my Top 10. Not my Top 5.
Kanye would be in there if we were talking producers. Not rappers.
Drake is good, but has not yet proven to me that he's more capable than just dropping a good mixtape. I don't think he deserves the high praise he gets yet.

noisereductions 11.21.2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Its almost comical how 50 is scared of getting on a track with the Game.
50 Cent needs to retire... he's already pretty much reached complete joke status.

I got both of 50's mixtapes he put out this year, and they were utter shit. He definitely needs to just hang his shit up. Just become an executive producer or something. Haha.

viewtiful_alan 11.21.2009 09:52 PM

He's basically the Dumb Jock of the Hip Hop world, he got popular by being good for a little while, but it faded, and he picks on others who are doing better than him so that people will pay attention.

More people were excited about Rick Ross' (or officer Ricky) newest album than about Before I self Destruct came out almost as silently as the fat joe release he mocked.

noisereductions 11.21.2009 10:47 PM

I thought CURTIS was somewhat okay. But never bought it. I've really never liked 50 at all. And the only G-Unit members I've ever liked both left G-Unit (The Game and Young Buck).

noisereductions 11.21.2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

is hating all you do?

I'd award you the playa hater of the year 2009 award but I think you already got a stack of plaques from years past ;)

"she wears underwear with dick holes in em."

noisereductions 11.21.2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Unlike Suchfriends, I love southern hip hop. But The Game is by far my favorite West Coast rapper. He's amazing. I love DOCUMENTARY, but DOCTORS ADVOCATE and LAX are even better. Trust me. You don't need to check out his indie albums or mixtapes until after you've digested those two.

batreleaser 11.22.2009 04:12 PM

guy is terrible.

The Earl Of Slander 11.22.2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

1. Lil Wayne
2. Ghostface Killah
3. Jay-Z
4. Kanye West
5. Drake

Dont hate.

OK, mine:

1. Doom
2. Jay-Z
3. Outkast (replace this with Andre 3000 or Big Boi, depending on whoever actually gets around to releasing something. By the evidence of Shine Blockas though, Big Boi's will KILL)
4. Kanye West (Yeah, I agree with NR that it's as a producer mainly, but the fact remains that if his name is on the album then it generates more interest in me than most other hip-hop artists)

After that their are too many people on roughly the same level of interest for me to choose from. Only just really getting into Wayne, but he may well be on their when I've heard more that 1 album by him. Also I only know the first two Ghostfaces at all, so maybe he'd be on their two once I know more.

As to the Game, I know none at all. Recommend ONE album and I'll check it out.

noisereductions 11.22.2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander

As to the Game, I know none at all. Recommend ONE album and I'll check it out.

Doctor's Advocate.

Talk about fucking deep. The record title is a reference to the fact that Dre was producing it. But he didn't end up producing it. And the album is half about how Game doesn't need anyone else to make a great album (which it is) and half about how he's upset that Dre (and everyone else) turned their back on him after the success of The Documentary and the pretty-much dissolution of G-Unit. It's a really fucked up weird major label record. Awesome.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.22.2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
lyrically he's terrible

you have to understand, the Game is mob music, and in that regard, the lyrics are at least a low B. Mob Music is music that the criminal/ghetto element of society can relate too directly. As e-feezy said, "i love to make that music y'all can sell drugs too.."

noisereductions 11.22.2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

you have to understand, the Game is mob music, and in that regard, the lyrics are at least a low B. Mob Music is music that the criminal/ghetto element of society can relate too directly. As e-feezy said, "i love to make that music y'all can sell drugs too.."

i dont' even fully agree. I just think he's underrated as a lyricist.

axiord 11.22.2009 11:50 PM

The Game

Is there any word on when the Kill off an FKL character game will be back/ I am missing playing it.

Derek 11.23.2009 11:59 AM

From what I've heard of The Game, I thought his lyrics were quite advanced in the context of West Coast hip hop.

"I had visions of makin' a classic
Then my wall turned black, like I was staring outta Stevie Wonders glasses
It's kinda hard to imagine, like Kanye West
Coming back from a fatal accident, to beat makin' and rappin'
But, we da future
Whitney Houston told me that, it's gonna take mo' than a bullet in a heart to hold me back."

noisereductions 11.23.2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

From what I've heard of The Game, I thought his lyrics were quite advanced in the context of West Coast hip hop.

"I had visions of makin' a classic
Then my wall turned black, like I was staring outta Stevie Wonders glasses
It's kinda hard to imagine, like Kanye West
Coming back from a fatal accident, to beat makin' and rappin'
But, we da future
Whitney Houston told me that, it's gonna take mo' than a bullet in a heart to hold me back."

if I could rep you again, I would.

Derek 11.23.2009 12:51 PM

I'd rep you back but I seem to rep you way too often haha.

Silver_Rocket 11.24.2009 10:54 AM

he was pretty good, first two album were good but hes fallin off a bit, i wouldnt be into him anymore!
hes still nothing compared to other hiphop artists releasing music this year like mf doom, MOS DEF, Mr. lif, q-tip, raekwon, royce da 5" 9

noisereductions 11.24.2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver_Rocket
he was pretty good, first two album were good but hes fallin off a bit, i wouldnt be into him anymore!
hes still nothing compared to other hiphop artists releasing music this year like mf doom, MOS DEF, Mr. lif, q-tip, raekwon, royce da 5" 9

Have you actually heard his 3rd album, LAX? It's unbelievable.

MF DOOM - apples vs oranges. Completely different style of hip hop, style of lyricism, style of flow, etc.

Mos Def - again. Apples vs organges.

Mr. Life - I PHANTOM and EMERGENCY RATIONS are great. After that all his shiz sounds the same to me.

Q-Tip - apples v oranges again. I mean. Seriously WHY would you think to cmopare these two? They're practically different genres of music. Like comparing the Melvins to Prince.

Raekwon - straight up, CUBAN LINX 2 = boring. I don't care. I said it. And I was pumped for it. But his DA VINCI CODE mixtape was far better than CL2.

Royce - never saw the hype. He's okay. I have a fair amount of his work. Nothing staggering.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.24.2009 04:48 PM

in regards to mob music and intellectual lyrics.. its not that the Game doesn't have any good lyrics with substance, there are actually a few really good lines and those are what really keep me into the Game, but again, it is mob music, and its audience/fan base are folks who can relate to several varieties of criminal life. That being said, for folks who live criminal lives, the Game and other mob music is in fact GENIUS lyrics. These kinds of folks think highly of the lyrics which many of us might consider unseemly, talking about promiscuity, violence, anti-police, gang shit, etc etc.

I think the Game sums up that vibes when he said, "hell yeah its fucking real Uzi dog.."

whether or not the Game is a studio gangster is a different argument, but what he points out most often in his lyrics is that gangster rap is not about pretending, its about real life drama. Its not a movie. While for most mid-west, middle class white kids picking this shit up off of iTunes and MTV, of course they don't get it, but for other folks this shit speaks volumes.

i particularly enjoy mob music, is it a kind of art form. After all, art must reflect the experience/perspective of its audience, and for gangsters, street folks and other low lives like myself, we like to hear about ourselves and our daily grind in our music. I am sure a bunch of pencil pushers enjoy that REM shit, but when you got to get yr hustle on while lookin over yr shoulder for the rollers, than you need something a bit more rough around the edges ;)

Silver_Rocket 11.24.2009 05:08 PM

@noisereductions :

lol, i was comparing them because there both hiphop but i guess your right there very different, the game is kinda modern mainstream gangsta rap wheareas those artists i named are generally alternative positive hiphop

and yeah cuban linx 2 isnt amazing, but have you heard mos def's THE ECSTATIC?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.24.2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

@noisereductions :

lol, i was comparing them because there both hiphop but i guess your right there very different, the game is kinda modern mainstream gangsta rap wheareas those artists i named are generally alternative positive hiphop

that is not entirely accurate. It is not fair to assume the Game's music is negative, which I took as your implication with 'alternative positive hip hop'

they are just about different things, covering different issues for a different audience. The Game is not entirely negative there, in fact his last two albums had a closing prayer!

noisereductions 11.24.2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

@noisereductions :

and yeah cuban linx 2 isnt amazing, but have you heard mos def's THE ECSTATIC?

Yeah, it's quite good. Certainly better than TRUE MAGIC (which I liked more than any critic did) and THE NEW DANGER (which I still liked a lot). Mos is a great lyricist, who thinks too grand and then has trouble actually delivering when it comes to the album format. He also suffers a bit from too-good-a-debut. But that's another story altogether.

noisereductions 09.23.2011 12:15 PM

nekrobumped for louder.

(haha, in 2009 I actually put TI In my "top 5 rappers currently making music"? That's hilarious considering how far he fell off since then. Yikes)

louder 09.23.2011 02:13 PM

haha omg great thread. yeah well, Paper Trail was actually pretty good for a mainstream rap album.

Lil Wayne used to be so popular here, whoa.

personally The Documentary is in my top 10 fav rap albums of the 00's, but i see what you mean with Game being a lot more interesting when he's facing struggles & getting fucked up.
i wish he worked with Kanye again, but they don't get along anymore.. it's funny how Game fought with many of the people who helped him to blow up with his debut.

noisereductions 09.23.2011 02:26 PM

Papertrail was great. Honestly, KING / TI VS TIP / PAPERTRAIL was such a great string of albums. But right around the time he got tangled in nonstop jailtime is when his focus seemed to really shit the bed.