Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Changing Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=32600)

sarramkrop 07.02.2009 04:29 AM

Changing Musical Opinions

What bands etc made you change your mind about their records at one point or another?

dionysusundone 07.02.2009 04:43 AM

Bruce Springsteen...always hated the guy until a couple of months ago

sarramkrop 07.02.2009 04:45 AM

I like some records by The Doors, now.

Trasher02 07.02.2009 06:41 AM

Never liked David Bowie until I heard The rise and fall of Ziggy.

SYRFox 07.02.2009 06:49 AM

M.I.A. . I used to find her music dull but after much tries I now love her tunes.

Shifty Prophet 07.02.2009 06:51 AM

NYC Ghosts & Flowers.

I always liked two songs off this record since it came out. I went back and listened to it and realized how much it has grown on me byu me leaving it alone.

godsfavoritedog 07.02.2009 10:21 AM

I know it's blasphemous for someone who grew up on punk and new wave but ... The Jam. I dismissed them back when they first started out and have only recently gained an appreciation for them.

Decayed Rhapsody 07.02.2009 12:12 PM

Used to hate Fleetwood Mac and Credence Clearwater Revival, but after hearing some of Fleetwood's early records, and "Green River" and "Keep on Chooglin" I came around. Same thing goes for a lot of black metal and "punk" music being made in the 00's in general, which I stupidly dismissed as the work of luddites.

jon boy 07.02.2009 12:31 PM

sonic youth changed my mind about them with rather ripped and sonic nurse. i liked them before that.

Zombie Robot 07.02.2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
sonic youth changed my mind about them with rather ripped and sonic nurse. i liked them before that.

hey-oh! i can see that maybe with rr. but nurse? really?
what about the eternal?

demonrail666 07.02.2009 12:46 PM

'Goo' definitely changed the way I thought about SY as a band. I've liked stuff they've done since but never with the same kind of enthusiasm as what I had for the pre-Goo stuff - although, to be honest, I was starting to develop doubts when they released Daydream Nation.

jon boy 07.02.2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Robot
hey-oh! i can see that maybe with rr. but nurse? really?
what about the eternal?

still havnt got the eternal. heard a few tracks and they sound ok but just not that great, i prefer the solo stuff more nowadays.

sonic nurse was not good.

Rob Instigator 07.02.2009 12:51 PM

crybabies

Rob Instigator 07.02.2009 12:52 PM

sonic nurse is fucking AWESOME. best record since DDN IMO

Glice 07.02.2009 12:52 PM

Trapped in the Closet changed R Kelly from ubiquitous RnB to Prince-esque over-inflated ego-tastic genius (although I'm still unconvinced Kelly himself understands quite why Trapped in the Closet is so brilliant).

Strauss' Electra, possibly conducted by Solti, stopped him being lush romantic to a very complete composer indeed in my head.

Glice 07.02.2009 12:53 PM

I started to go off SY around Murray St, but Nurse definitely sealed it. Pattern recognition is brilliant, but the rest of it just makes me very weary.

jon boy 07.02.2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Trapped in the Closet changed R Kelly from ubiquitous RnB to Prince-esque over-inflated ego-tastic genius (although I'm still unconvinced Kelly himself understands quite why Trapped in the Closet is so brilliant).

Strauss' Electra, possibly conducted by Solti, stopped him being lush romantic to a very complete composer indeed in my head.

i dont know if r kelly knows that trapped in the closet was mind alteringly hilarious. he seems to take it so serious.

MellySingsDoom 07.02.2009 12:55 PM

Country music. I used to think it was ghastly, but listening to some tunes (the usual suspects) turned my feeling towards it around.

Zombie Robot 07.02.2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
still havnt got the eternal. heard a few tracks and they sound ok but just not that great, i prefer the solo stuff more nowadays.
sonic nurse was not good.

pffft. jb-get the eternal. its good. [but i thought nurse was amazing too]
solo stuff is also great, i like the syr's. im takin it that ur more of a noise boy? not into the more structured, melodic, lyrically influenced albums or what?

jon boy 07.02.2009 01:06 PM

every song i heard from the eternal just sounds kinda dull and when i hear text of light say, it sounds so much more raw and interesting. the likes of sonic nurse and the eternal will always please people i guess but when you hear the other stuff its much more exciting and less tried and tested.

Green Magnesium 07.02.2009 01:06 PM

I loved the Spice Girls and Hanson for a couple years until about the age of 11... and then totally forgot about them. Now, looking back, I wonder what was wrong with me. (On the other hand... TLC was the first group/band/artist I really got into, around the age of 8, and I still enjoy their music very much.)

I went from being skeeved out by Prince, as a child, to falling in love with him, thanks to a friend playing a cassette of Purple Rain during a car trip.

Jethro Tull at one point terrified me, mainly due to the Aqualung album cover and song, and now I adore them... with Aqualung being one of my favorite albums.

I went from hating Deerhoof to loving them (thanks to focus on the guys of the band).

demonrail666 07.02.2009 01:14 PM

Similar to my situation with Goo, Extricate was the first Fall album where I really felt that buying their albums was becoming more a dutiful habit than anything else. I've liked Fall albums since then but never in the way that I liked pretty much everything they did up to I am Kurious Oranj

schizophrenicroom 07.02.2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

oh, completely. he doesn't know that titc is CLASSIC.

green magnesium- a lot of folks i know got into deerhoof by listening more to the guys. see them live, though, satomi's so adorable. i'm one who loves her voice, but will say she sounds different and better live.

i used to find bruce springsteen's nebraska album so dull but now that's my favorite.

GeneticKiss 07.02.2009 01:31 PM

The first time I heard Radiohead's Hail to the Thief, I felt it was a dreary, dull bore.

The second time I listened to it, I thought it was one of the best albums of the decade.

HaydenAsche 07.02.2009 02:04 PM

Sonic Youth.

HaydenAsche 07.02.2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
The first time I heard Radiohead's Hail to the Thief, I felt it was a dreary, dull bore.

The second time I listened to it, I thought it was one of the best albums of the decade.

I did too actually. When Hail to the Thief came out it was one of my least favorite Radiohead albums but nowadays, it's probably my favorite.

Silent Dan Speaks 07.02.2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dionysusundone
Bruce Springsteen...always hated the guy until a couple of months ago

Same here, except it was a year or two ago when I started to like him.

I'm not proud of this, but at one point I liked Coldplay. Now I hate them.

joe11121 07.02.2009 03:11 PM

First time I heard The Velvet Underground, I didn't like them. Now they are one of my favourite bands. VU & Nico is my favourite album of all-time too, tied with DDN

automatic bzooty 07.02.2009 03:18 PM

^ yeah, same here. i thought the velvet underground and nico was the worst record i'd ever heard. i slowwwwly started to dig certain songs. now it's my favorite album.

i was not at all crazy about the stooges when i first heard them...

Derek 07.02.2009 03:21 PM

I'm STILL not crazy about The Stooges...

I'll get my coat.

joe11121 07.02.2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
^ yeah, same here. i thought the velvet underground and nico was the worst record i'd ever heard. i slowwwwly started to dig certain songs. now it's my favorite album.

i was not at all crazy about the stooges when i first heard them...

Yeah, now I see it as a masterpiece!

Also, I didn't like SY when I first heard them, now they are my favourite band! I probably didn't like them because at first I heard My Friend Goo, haha.

GeneticKiss 07.02.2009 03:31 PM

Why do so many people hate on My Friend Goo? I mean, it's not stellar, but it doesn't suck...

sarramkrop 07.02.2009 04:53 PM

I can't hear what is good about Sonic Nurse at all.

sarramkrop 07.02.2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
are you being silly?

;)

Not really - I don't like that record. It has 1 good song on it, and a decent one.

It's not as bad as RR, still not good.

sarramkrop 07.02.2009 05:16 PM

Yes, I much prefer The Eternal than those two albums. It's just a matter of taste. I thought SY became more and more boring since they put Sonic Nurse out. I am very glad that the new record is this good, yet I can't help feeling bored by them as a band, now. Probably it's just me.

sarramkrop 07.02.2009 05:20 PM

I pretty much like all their records up until Sonic Nurse. The new album is good too.

sarramkrop 07.02.2009 05:23 PM

I'll try explaining myself a little better: I think their current output as the offcial version of Sonic Youth, as good as it is, won't have an impact on other bands like all their records up until Sonic Nurse.

Glice 07.02.2009 05:23 PM

I heard Caroline by Status Quo on a far-too-loud PA a few Christmasses ago. They're a band that need to be brain-meltingly loud, as opposed to on the back of a sofa advert. Otherwise, they just sound a bit poo.

sarramkrop 07.02.2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

I heard Caroline by Status Quo on a far-too-loud PA a few Christmasses ago. They're a band that need to be brain-meltingly loud, as opposed to on the back of a sofa advert. Otherwise, they just sound a bit poo.

I've seen them playing on an old tv programme a few years ago, way before the 'in the army'-era stuff, possibly in the late 60's, and they were VERY good.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.02.2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I like some records by The Doors, now.

I used to love the Doors when I was 16. Now I couldn't care less for them.