Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   In addition to EVOL, Beck will be releasing several other full album covers. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=32180)

The Earl Of Slander 06.18.2009 09:41 AM

In addition to EVOL, Beck will be releasing several other full album covers.

Starting with VU & Nico. They will each be recorded in a one day marathon session, with a load of other indie-darlings pitching in. This is very odd, but awesome!

noisereductions 06.18.2009 09:46 AM

it awesome. This was started in another thread. But it does deserve it's own thread.

These cover albums will be recorded with differnet collaborators in a single day, and then slowly released for free on Beck's website. So exciting.

max 06.18.2009 09:51 AM

use
less
ness

nicfit 06.18.2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max
use
less
ness

I guess you should at least wait to hear those before forming a judgment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by max
it may sound stupid but - uhm - did you guys listen to it?

^^^^
quote from another thread.

noisereductions 06.18.2009 10:13 AM

score one for nic.

Shifty Prophet 06.18.2009 10:21 AM

This is going to sound elitist and snobby:
''It's about time Beck put some shit out that sounded good and wasn't drull filler for fans of a time long since past.''

noisereductions 06.18.2009 11:14 AM

I've loved every beck album. Every one.

automatic bzooty 06.18.2009 11:18 AM

^ me too.

i will probably love beck covering my favorite album ever as well.

loubarret 06.18.2009 11:19 AM

The latest two weren't everything, still good but a bit on the dull side.

Shifty Prophet 06.18.2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I've loved every beck album. Every one.

Thats repectable. Personally(and I find myself saying this waaaay to much) I prefer his earlier work. The last album I loved was either Mutations or Sea Change. I liked some after that, but I really wasn't impressed or transfixed by any.

noisereductions 06.18.2009 11:49 AM

I actually liked Guero and Information more than Sea Change. I know I'm in a minority, though.

Rob Instigator 06.18.2009 11:50 AM

so Beck finally ran out of ideas?

Shifty Prophet 06.18.2009 11:52 AM

I always thought I was in the minority with my love for Sea Change, seems all the Beck fanboys loved his strange sample and quasi-groove beats. Not to mention his 'I would love to be considered the white Kool Keith' flowing.

noisereductions 06.18.2009 12:20 PM

I like it all. But my favorite era is definitely GOLDEN FEELINGS/A WESTERN HARVEST FIELD BY MOONLIGHT/MELLOW GOLD/STEREOPATHETIC SOUL MANURE/ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE

Shifty Prophet 06.18.2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I like it all. But my favorite era is definitely GOLDEN FEELINGS/A WESTERN HARVEST FIELD BY MOONLIGHT/MELLOW GOLD/STEREOPATHETIC SOUL MANURE/ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE

We share similar tastes.

noisereductions 06.18.2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty Prophet
We share similar tastes.

http://sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=24941

floatingslowly 06.18.2009 12:27 PM

I hope the marathon recording sessions make beck weep like a baby.

actually, "hope" isn't the right word. replace that with "am sure".

keep yr filthy taint offa mah muzic and cry some more imo.

mean words! meeeean wordssssss. buh huh huh boo hoo hooooooooooo.

MellySingsDoom 06.18.2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
so Beck finally ran out of ideas?

Hee hee hee!

automatic bzooty 06.18.2009 12:46 PM

i am the only person who loves the shit outta modern guilt.

one foot in the grave is the best. especially the deluxe version. hot damn.

noisereductions 06.18.2009 12:52 PM

Modern Guilt was great.

nicfit 06.18.2009 12:55 PM

(besides other links) sonic youth covered beck and vice versa, doesn't this make him part of the sonic life? :D

The Earl Of Slander 06.18.2009 01:03 PM

I have a lot of love for all of Beck’s stuff in varying degrees, but have to chime in with the early weirdness love. Everything is still great, but kind of a shadow after Mellow Gold. Midnight Vultures is my least favourite probably, but it's still better than 90% of the music that came out around then. Sea Change is probably my favourite post-Mutations album. Guero would be better if Odelay didn't exist, as it's still great, but sounds kind of too much like a repeat to me. The Information is underrated I think, and the stickers cover was so sweet! Haven't yet heard Modern Guilt yet. Really must get around to it...

Anyway yes, the covers albums! I'm sure they'll be fantastic. The last thing he recorded this fast was Mutations, and that was fantastic. The Green Light cover was amazing. Let's start hoping for what he'll do after VU & Nico and EVOL. Bryter Layter, Safe as Milk and Rain Dogs immediately spring to mind as ones it'd be sweet for him to do, but I'm sure there's more that'd be great. A classic Dylan if he could pull it off. Maybe a 70s Bowie record? Or he could just finally get it over with and do Purple Rain or Sign O’ The Times…

Rob Instigator 06.18.2009 01:43 PM

boycott the scientologists!

dazedcola 06.18.2009 01:43 PM

As a giant fan of becks earlier days i welcome this new idea. I thought that green light cover would have fit perfectly on one foot in the grave. I was really let down with his last few albums and the fact that hes giving these cover albums away for free could show he wants to do something more independent sounded instead of fretting about needing a hit single off an album.

nicfit 06.18.2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
boycott the scientologists!

:p

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.18.2009 02:07 PM

Velvet Underground > Beck
Sonic Youth > Beck

Why would anyone get excited for lesser versions of classic albums?

noisereductions 06.18.2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Sonic Youth > Beck

forget it. You just don't get it.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.18.2009 02:47 PM

:( :(

noisereductions 06.18.2009 02:49 PM

I'm just saying, you obviously feel that Beck is not good (or not as good as SY or VU). I'm not saying he's as good or better or worse.

But I am saying I'm a fan. As others are. So it's exciting that someone yr a fan of is going to perform material that yr a fan of. No?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.18.2009 02:59 PM

I can understand cover songs. But not covering an entire album. That's just overkill, especially when he's attempting to remake 10/10 albums like EVOL, and VU&N. These albums are as close to perfect as a collection of songs can get, his versions can only possibly turn out inferior. Why would anyone want to hear that instead?

I don't necessarily hate Beck. He's got some great tunes, but this shit is ridiculous.

noisereductions 06.18.2009 03:02 PM

oh I see yr problem, when you used the word "instead"... who said you had to stop listening to the SY or VU version once Beck makes his?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.18.2009 03:12 PM

Well, you can only listen to one at a time. :p

When there's already a superior version available, why replicate it with a poorer version?

What is this, modern day Hollywood?

*rimshot*

As the old saying goes,

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it."

noisereductions 06.18.2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it."

if anyone actually followed this addage, then we'd still be listening to whatever music cavemen had.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.18.2009 03:17 PM

PAULYBEE2656 06.18.2009 03:27 PM

what an arsehole......

joe11121 06.18.2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
^ me too.

i will probably love beck covering my favorite album ever as well.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to automatic bzooty again.

VU and Nico is my favourite album of all time as well!
I cannot wait to see this. The EVOL will be great as well. So excited! :D

SuperCreep 06.18.2009 04:39 PM

I could understand reasons for excitement if one of my favorite bands/artists were covering one of my favorite albums ever, but it's Beck, so I really couldn't give much of a fuck.

automatic bzooty 06.18.2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Sonic Youth > Beck
that's just too obvious. the velvets and the sonics are fucking monumental, something else entirely.

Quote:

well, in this specific instance... i have heard VU & Nico so many times that it's like, permanently engraved upon my brain. i really really really enjoy beck, so, um, i think it could be interesting or refreshing (or whatever) to hear his take on that album. not saying it will be to other people, not saying it has to be.

why would you listen to any cover in the first place? and i mean, what if SY did the white album instead of the whitey album?

what the fuck am i talking about?

automatic bzooty 06.18.2009 04:50 PM

anyway, what i mean to say is

[Sandbag] 06.18.2009 05:30 PM

whoever said its senseless shit..

im sure theres a few people -me included- who are looking forward give it a listen..!
so stfu*

*(joking)