Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Natural Snow Buildings (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28155)

sarramkrop 11.15.2008 06:05 PM

Natural Snow Buildings

Anyone likes them? I'm listening to 'The Sundowner', a cdr of theirs which is pretty great.

blunderbuss 11.15.2008 06:16 PM

I've heard a couple of things, and can't work out what the fuss is all about.

Toilet & Bowels 11.15.2008 08:18 PM

yeah, i heard that 2CD-R they put out and didn't really get it either, but a few days ago i heard a radio session they did and there were moments of brilliance.

here:
http://www.foxydigitalis.com/foxyd/podcasts.php

SuperCreep 11.15.2008 09:31 PM

I heard Dance of the Moon and Sun recently. I rarely ever find a two something hour album that doesn't bore me. Good stuff.

sarramkrop 11.16.2008 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
yeah, i heard that 2CD-R they put out and didn't really get it either, but a few days ago i heard a radio session they did and there were moments of brilliance.

here:
http://www.foxydigitalis.com/foxyd/podcasts.php

Thanks.

That's what I don't get about them, and for a moment I thought that I was listening to two different bands with the same name. On the cd I have they do this psych thing that is great, but on some other stuff that I've found around on the internet they sound almost like a more lively Godspeed you Black Emperor.

joe11121 05.16.2009 01:25 PM

I love them. They're very interesting. A really great band.

fugazifan 05.16.2009 05:02 PM

i only know daughter of darkness which is incredible. a short song off it is going to be on tinnitus next week.

atsonicpark 05.16.2009 07:27 PM

Nearly everything they've done is perfect.

Glice 05.17.2009 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Nearly everything they've done is perfect.

Do you only do your pricky thing of linking a previous thread when it's someone who's new to the forum?

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...ow+buil dings

I listened to them recently. They're quite good at what they do. Fair play to all concerned.

sarramkrop 05.17.2009 05:37 AM

This thread was started before that one. Take that, atsonicpark! I'm more knowledgeable than you are!!!

Glice 05.17.2009 05:57 AM

That's so much win. sarramkrop, can we be internet buddies? I look up to your knowledge of obscure (and mostly shit) music.

sarramkrop 05.17.2009 06:01 AM

Sure, buddy! We have so much in common, don't we? I like shit music, and it helps that you're deaf. I don't mind deaf people, they are just like everyone else to me.

atsonicpark 05.17.2009 06:52 AM

It's not pricky. There's no reason to have a thousand threads about the same topic. Other boards are way more anal about stuff like that. I just think.. there's a "search" button for a reason.

...Either way, I was aware of this thread, which came way before mine, but I started my own thread specifically about that album anyway.

Glice 05.17.2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Sure, buddy! We have so much in common, don't we? I like shit music, and it helps that you're deaf. I don't mind deaf people, they are just like everyone else to me.

Hot dog, buddy! I like deaf people too, lol! They're well postmodern innit lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
It's not pricky. There's no reason to have a thousand threads about the same topic. Other boards are way more anal about stuff like that. I just think.. there's a "search" button for a reason.

...Either way, I was aware of this thread, which came way before mine, but I started my own thread specifically about that album anyway.

Oh, I know all that. I just think that there's a lot of people who jump on the new people and act cliquey towards them, which is prickery in my eyes. I mean, there's really no need for more MBV threads, but it doesn't really bother me as I don't really care to comment in one, let alone all 20, you see?

floatingslowly 05.17.2009 06:00 PM

^^^ hot dog, buddy? who says that?

I think you should stick to typing properly. lol?

ps: I posted about deaf people back in '99. I'd link you, but there is no archive.

Glice 05.18.2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
^^^ hot dog, buddy? who says that?

I was pastiching. You people. Y'know, Americans. You talk a whole world of shite. I mean, take you for example - you're forever trying to convince people that you're a robot. I think precisely the sort of lack of inspiration that leads to a person saying 'hot dog buddy' resides in precisely the sort of person on the (yawn) internet trying to pretend they're a (yawn) robot (yawn).

blunderbuss 05.18.2009 12:49 PM

I think I might have a little crush on you, Glice.

floatingslowly 05.18.2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I was pastiching. You people. Y'know, Americans. You talk a whole world of shite.

yeah, I figured that was what you were aiming for, but...I think "hot dog" might have gone out of style (even amongst the shite-talkers) about 30 years ago.

Quote:

I mean, take you for example - you're forever trying to convince people that you're a robot. I think precisely the sort of lack of inspiration that leads to a person saying 'hot dog buddy' resides in precisely the sort of person on the (yawn) internet trying to pretend they're a (yawn) robot (yawn).

the moniker was given to me, not volunteered. besides, I have no desire to convince anybody of anything over the internet. unless, of course, it's convincing you, moondoggy, that "hot dog, buddy" might be best suited for re-runs of The Monkees, Gidget and maybe The Dukes of Hazard.

My Grand Point: you do much better at "proper typing" than you do "pastiching".

:)

Glice 05.18.2009 02:05 PM

I might make a t-shirt that says "Americans: wit of dogs".

sarramkrop 05.18.2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

I might make a t-shirt that says "Americans: wit of dogs".

Make your own DIY t-shirt that says 'Americans: Natural Snore Buildings', while you're at it.

floatingslowly 05.18.2009 02:17 PM

thrilling yarn(s), ol' chap(s).

atsonicpark 07.28.2009 11:14 AM

This and Jandek are pretty much the only things I've consistently listened to all summer.

joe11121 07.28.2009 01:03 PM

I never get tired of listening to them. they're awesome.

blunderbuss 11.04.2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss
I've heard a couple of things, and can't work out what the fuss is all about.

I saw them live last night. Now I understand.

SuperCreep 11.04.2009 04:40 PM

I seriously wish they would come to the US. I watched a live performance of them a few weeks ago and it was absolutely phenomenal. Shadow Kingdom is probably my favorite album this year.

SuperCreep 11.04.2009 04:53 PM

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/ondema...emand.40141505

the ikara cult 12.01.2009 03:37 PM

Ive been listening to The Dance Of The Moon and Sun today, and im very much in favour of the motion. Id assumed their sound would be quite thick and heavy, possibly because being called Natural Snow Buildings makes you think they will sound that way, but theres plenty of foundational solidity to what im hearing, and the spacious warmth they employ doesnt make them melt in on themselves. Bravo

atsonicpark 06.25.2010 11:10 AM

Just got THE CENTAURI AGENT. I'm getting a bit tired of thier sound but they're still pretty brilliant.. they just have SO MUCH material already..

loubarret 06.26.2010 08:18 AM

i like the twinsistermoon stuff way more