Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Songs that creep you out (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11782)

LittlePuppetBoy 03.29.2007 09:05 PM

Songs that creep you out

What songs have you found to give you a very creeped out feeling?

Mine would be:

the Immediate Stages of the Erotic-Mars (I have no idea what the hell is happening in that song, I just know I don't want to be a part of it)

Gang-Swans (that slow, growling rhythm and Gira murmuring "hammer the nail, hammer the nail" creep me out. Hearing that song is like being out in a boat on a foggy night, and seeing a ship full of ghosts pass right by you)

Pretty much everything on Locust Abortion Technician by the Butthole Surfers creeps the shit out of me. You just try driving in the dark with that thing on.

There was also a Khanate song (or was it Sunn O))) that was quite creepy. It was one in which it sounded like there was a monster on the loose?

drrrtyboots 03.29.2007 09:15 PM

That opening theme song on that old show Bananas in Pajamas. Fuck that.

LittlePuppetBoy 03.29.2007 09:18 PM

Bananas in Pajamas......they're chasing underwear....

fuck it. I havrn't heard that one in forever.

Inhuman 03.30.2007 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy
There was also a Khanate song (or was it Sunn O))) that was quite creepy. It was one in which it sounded like there was a monster on the loose?

Torching Koroviev - Khanate, indeed!

It's a very frightful song, and Khanate were the first sludge band I ever got into, so when I first heard them I was 15 with the lights off, and it was intense! That song and Wold - L.O.T.M.P are my most frightening at the moment, with lack of more choices at this time in the morning.

RockerNino 03.30.2007 01:14 AM

this one song by the Art of Noise

youthoftomorrow 03.30.2007 01:44 AM

"Dead Hills 2" by Wolf Eyes made me physically recoil when i first listened to it. i've grown to love that feeling.

_slavo_ 03.30.2007 02:19 AM

"She's lost control" by Joy Division

A Thousand Threads 03.30.2007 03:04 AM

Schaben - Einstürzende Neubauten

jon boy 03.30.2007 03:28 AM

there is a song by the melvins that really made feel creepy. i cant remember the name of it but it had chains and piano in it.

i suppose some boris is quite creepy in a way. but the worst i ever heard was britney spears.

A Thousand Threads 03.30.2007 03:29 AM

oh, and side 2 of cromagnon´s s/t Lp is pretty scary.

SynthethicalY 03.30.2007 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
That opening theme song on that old show Bananas in Pajamas. Fuck that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V_Cq70OEww

sun city girl 03.30.2007 04:15 AM

frankie teardrop by suicide

StevOK 03.30.2007 11:31 AM

"Robot Ponies" by Laura Barrett

Pookie 03.30.2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sun city girl
frankie teardrop by suicide

Just what I was going to say. I clearly remember the first time I listened to it. Disturbing is the word.

scott v 03.30.2007 12:53 PM

Almost anything by Whitehouse...

Green_mind 03.30.2007 01:00 PM

The last track on the new deerhoof cd, there is this eerie'ness, then loud stikes at a diminished chord, dissonance rings out, like some demented church bell from the depths of hell. It made me shriek as I was listening to it in the darkness of night in bed, I was expecting to open my eyes and see the boogie man at my side.

Shipper 03.30.2007 01:24 PM

I don't know about creeped out, but Clean It Up by Butthole Surfers always makes me feel uncomfortable. If we were talking about videos, then the part in the No-one Knows vid, where the deer kind of sneers at the camera.

Trasher02 03.30.2007 01:42 PM

This performance scares the hell out of me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgcuU_JWuQU

atsonicpark 03.30.2007 01:49 PM

yep, def Clean It Up. Can't listen to it.

the ikara cult 03.30.2007 01:50 PM

Another Swans song, Your Property. It seems to start off nasty and get worse as it goes along.

TheMadcapLaughs 03.30.2007 01:52 PM

Confusion is Sex was pretty creepy when i first heard it. Shaking Hell and She's in Bad Mood perticularly.

the ikara cult 03.30.2007 01:56 PM

I always tend to think of Bad Moon Rising as the creepier, i think the word that best describes Confusion is sex is abrasive. Where those noises came from ill never know

Cardinal Rob 03.30.2007 02:06 PM

Never let this thread fall off the first page. I'm downloading a few of the aforementioned on OiNK.

Shiela Na Gig by Nurse With Wound freaked out a girl I know back when it was on my space.

the ikara cult 03.30.2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardinal Rob
Never let this thread fall off the first page. I'm downloading a few of the aforementioned on OiNK.

Shiela Na Gig by Nurse With Wound freaked out a girl I know back when it was on my space.

Is that some kind of perverted cover of the PJ Harvey song or is it another song altogether?

LittlePuppetBoy 03.30.2007 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
I always tend to think of Bad Moon Rising as the creepier

Hey, yeah. I forgot to mention BMR. That album does have an aura of creepiness around it.

the ikara cult 03.30.2007 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy
Hey, yeah. I forgot to mention BMR. That album does have an aura of creepiness around it.

Ive said this before but i think its the soundtrack to the Blair Witch project 15 years early.

Cardinal Rob 03.30.2007 03:12 PM

Quote:

Is that some kind of perverted cover of the PJ Harvey song or is it another song altogether?

I'd suppose that it's our Stapleton's own. It sounds like a wounded animal. Beautiful.

screamingskull 03.30.2007 03:13 PM

Anything by Radiohead, my mum's ex boyfriend used to listen to them ALL THE TIME!!!!, he was creepy, and Radiohead reminds me of him.

tesla69 03.30.2007 04:06 PM

"Bisexual Punk" sung by one of the Manson Children...I'm not friggin kidding!

Onani Nic 03.30.2007 06:24 PM

Striborg- Nocturnal Emissions

Actually pretty much anything by striborg.

Katy 03.30.2007 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardinal Rob

Quote:

EDIT: oops, I meant to post a picture not a link.

the ikara cult 03.30.2007 06:40 PM

Im aware of what Sheila na gigs are thankyou

FruitLoop 03.30.2007 08:58 PM

Pretty much any of Amon Tobin's work is creepy, but supermodified, and especially out from out where? stand out from his catalogue

afterthefact 03.31.2007 11:20 AM

I think it's the 2nd or 3rd song on Tom Wait's "Alice," but it a song where he sings with this really scratchy creepy voice. And I know he ALWAYS sings with a scratchy creepy voice, but if you listened, you would know which one I am talking about. But I would going to sleep with that album on a lot, and I would have to skip that song, cause laying there in the dark, it would really creep me out.

Torn Curtain 03.31.2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
Confusion is Sex was pretty creepy when i first heard it.

Ditto.

The Lung 03.31.2007 03:16 PM

Melvins - They Must All Be Slaughtered

Listened to that with my friends in a wood at some ridiculous hour, it scared the shit out of us. Started seeing people and hearing screams.

Fushitsusha - My Precious Thing

Under the right conditions alot of intense Classical music can be creppy like some Shostakovich or Mussorgsky. Lustmord is always great to listen to when wandering around at night.

noumenal 03.31.2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lung
Under the right conditions alot of intense Classical music can be creppy like some Shostakovich or Mussorgsky.

First thing that comes to mind is Pierrot Lunaire--that shit is creepy.

Danny Himself 03.31.2007 06:22 PM

They Might Be Giants creep me out. I like them though. If you're speaking of songs, I'd probably say those songs they did with Homestar Runner.

Everyneurotic 03.31.2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FruitLoop
Pretty much any of Amon Tobin's work is creepy, but supermodified, and especially out from out where? stand out from his catalogue

yeah, they are creepy, as in awful music with poor programming skills, i said it's more shitty than creepy but oh well... (the foley room is pretty good, though)

this thread reminds me of when i listened to confusion is sex on the discman while watching the shinning really late at night, it was intense!!!

the ikara cult 04.01.2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
I think it's the 2nd or 3rd song on Tom Wait's "Alice," but it a song where he sings with this really scratchy creepy voice. And I know he ALWAYS sings with a scratchy creepy voice, but if you listened, you would know which one I am talking about. But I would going to sleep with that album on a lot, and I would have to skip that song, cause laying there in the dark, it would really creep me out.

that whole album is a head messing experience