Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Do you believe in ghosts? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=41704)

artsygrrl 10.10.2010 06:52 PM

Do you believe in ghosts?

:eek: Like, real spirits and such?
Or, haunted houses?
I totally do.

atsonicpark 10.10.2010 07:00 PM

Yeah, totally.........

One time, after my uncle died, I was staying at my aunt -- and her new boyfriend's -- house... she had been cheating on my uncle before he died of cirrhosis of the liver. Long story. Anyway...

I was there with my aunt and my aunt's friend's daughter. Me and this girl were playing hide and seek. Suddenly, she started screaming. She had looked into the mirror and saw someone staring at her. She was shaking and crying. Then, the front door swung open. There is absolutely no way this huge door could have opened. The 2 dogs started barking wildly. My aunt pulled out her gun and got on the phone and we walked up and down the driveway (this was in the country) but saw no one/heard nothing. We would have at least heard sticks breaks, leaves break, SOMETHING... no one could remain completely still, completely quiet like that...

Then, we got on the computer and a program had been opened about 50 times -- just some random program. Earlier in the day, we had been on the computer and then put it on the screensaver.. we hadn't been anywhere near the program that was open (if I remember correctly, it was sound recorder -- no, there were no sound files loaded on it). There was absolutely no way that this program could have been opened 50 times, since no one had been at the computer.

All night long, the dogs -- usually very reliable watch dogs -- would start barking. The three of us stayed up all night, huddled together, scared out of our minds.

...Also, me, my mom, my aunt, my grandma, my grandpa, and various visitors over the years have felt the presence/seen a "little man" in my grandpa's house. Someone would bring it up, like "I just saw a little man run down the hallway" and someone else would say, "...I've seen that before." We've had visitors that think they saw "someone" running through the hall. Very strange. He seems to have disappeared a few years ago, when my grandma died. But I definitely witnessed him run down the hallway, and sit in the bedroom at the foot of the bed a few times when I was younger, before anyone had even told me of his existence.

!@#$%! 10.10.2010 07:01 PM

everything is possible i suppose. proving it is another story. then again, belief requires no proof, unlike knowledge. so we're all good in either camp.

!@#$%! 10.10.2010 07:02 PM

i believe in spaghetti

deflinus 10.10.2010 07:27 PM

i believe in haunted toilets. trust me.. it's scary

jennthebenn 10.10.2010 07:40 PM

I believe in ghosts/spirits, as well as spaghetti.

hevusa 10.10.2010 07:44 PM

0% objective information about them = not real
In fact I would say it is fairly childish to believe in ghosts.

jennthebenn 10.10.2010 08:02 PM

Every adult soul has childish residue.

hevusa 10.10.2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Every adult soul has childish residue.

Souls... yet another example of human invention with 0% objective information supporting its existence.

jennthebenn 10.10.2010 08:23 PM

Yet you have no qualms with spaghetti.

hevusa 10.10.2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Yet you have no qualms with spaghetti.

Especially not this one:
http://www.venganza.org/

!@#$%! 10.10.2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
Souls... yet another example of human invention with 0% objective information supporting its existence.

metaphysics aside we can also use the word to refer to the highly individual emotional/sensory array that emerges from the the nervous system. when people say "this music has no soul" they don't mean that it lacks a ghost, they mean that it lacks human emotion and it gives the impression of having been composed by machines-- not smart machines, just dumb ones.

on the other hand, there's the godfather of soul

Derek 10.11.2010 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
0% objective information about them = not real
In fact I would say it is fairly childish to believe in ghosts.

Well, who the fuck knows what's out there? We can't completely base what we think on scientific verification (mind you, I'm not a religious type, but I'm certainly one to believe in the supernatural).

hevusa 10.11.2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Well, who the fuck knows what's out there? We can't completely base what we think on scientific verification (mind you, I'm not a religious type, but I'm certainly one to believe in the supernatural).

I see no point in making stupid shit up just because we don't know what's out there. There is enough of that fucking shit up in the world already.

Derek 10.11.2010 09:52 AM

Gotta have something to believe in.

nicfit 10.11.2010 10:01 AM

"NYC Flowers" sounds bad.

pbradley 10.11.2010 10:13 AM

I believe in the ghost of ghosts.

*flatulence*

hevusa 10.11.2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Gotta have something to believe in.

I don't understand why? I'm getting along just fine... and being an honest person is nice. I don't pretend things into existence.

chicka 10.11.2010 11:23 AM

I believe. I saw them run from my kitchen to the stairs and disappear from my sight. I know I'll never convince anyone who doesn't believe but anybody who believes knows what I'm talking about. They don't hang around but for that second they're as real as the keyboard I'm typing on.

gualbert 10.11.2010 11:39 AM

Yes.
My dead relatives haunt me in my sleep.

EVOLghost 10.11.2010 11:43 AM

i've been trying to verify tihs myself.

hevusa 10.11.2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicka
I believe. I saw them run from my kitchen to the stairs and disappear from my sight. I know I'll never convince anyone who doesn't believe but anybody who believes knows what I'm talking about. They don't hang around but for that second they're as real as the keyboard I'm typing on.

Probably pretty easy to debunk. Instead of jumping to the conclusion of ghost/spirit why don't you explain the circumstances of the "sighting". What time of day? What were you doing right before you saw it? And so on.

No offense but these things ALWAYS happen when no one else can verify it objectively.

chicka 10.11.2010 12:22 PM

I was sitting there watching TV eating my supper. Time of day roughly 5:00 pm. Plenty of sunlight I just turned my head and there they were. Man and Woman she had on a white dress, he was in dark clothes sports jacket of some sort and something out of the thirties.

hevusa 10.11.2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

I was sitting there watching TV eating my supper. Time of day roughly 5:00 pm. Plenty of sunlight I just turned my head and there they were. Man and Woman she had on a white dress, he was in dark clothes sports jacket of some sort and something out of the thirties.

Of course you were alone at the time I assume...
were you done with supper? taking a nap? what were you watching on the tele?

SonikJesus 10.11.2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

They were just standing there? What happened after?

EVOLghost 10.11.2010 01:10 PM

did they look like this?

chicka 10.11.2010 01:45 PM

Nope I was sitting there with my Dad watching a football game college game to be precise. As I already said they went from the Kitchen to the stairs leading to the second floor a space of 6 feet. As I already said I believe and I'll never be able to make you believe so as far as I'm concerned enjoy your laughs I can deal with them. Nice picture EvolG I wish they did then I would know it was a joke.

hevusa 10.11.2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Nope I was sitting there with my Dad watching a football game college game to be precise. As I already said they went from the Kitchen to the stairs leading to the second floor a space of 6 feet. As I already said I believe and I'll never be able to make you believe so as far as I'm concerned enjoy your laughs I can deal with them. Nice picture EvolG I wish they did then I would know it was a joke.

Did your Dad see them? Probably not.
There is a reason those ghosts shows have been on tv for years and years now and nothing of value has ever been presented.
You were dozing off for a split second in front of the TV during supper dear. There are no such thing as ghosts.

It reminds me of when I thought there were aliens when I was younger. I was at midget league football practice. All of the sudden everyone just froze on the field. A large, blinking space ship passed over head and when it was gone practice just resumed as normal. I really thought aliens were real for years until I talked to someone with sense who told me I probably got a concussion during practice from a hard hit. That makes a hell of a lot more sense... and so does you dozing off with food and tv even if you THINK you were awake.

The correct answer is usually the simplest...

_slavo_ 10.11.2010 04:07 PM

Asking if your dad saw that too is quite reasonable.
However I tend to believe in some paranormal stuff and I too had some weird experience in the past (see the "Night Drones" thread I created a while ago if you're interested, chicka)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.11.2010 04:19 PM

I don't believe in souls, therefore I can't believe in ghosts per se. But I do believe in supernatural presences. Perhaps from alternate dimensions, which seems much more plausible to me.

ploesj 10.11.2010 04:24 PM

i don't know.

i strongly believe that the human mind is an amazing thing, but will never be able to grasp and understand everything.

i've experienced some weird things... things in my room that had moved when i had left it for five minutes (something that was on the bed was suddenly on my desk) it would always be things that belonged to my grandmother (i lived in her house after she died) and those things would disappear too, i never found them again, not even after packing my whole room to move...

i once went to an abandoned cabin in a forest (how cliché) with some friends. we had a dog with us (a large bernese mountain dog) who didn't want to go inside: she just sat there and whined. inside there was a small living room and a kitchen with windows all around it. on the window sills in the kitchen were scattered newspapers from the 1950s. they were completely dry and almost as new, even though the windows were all broken and the whole forest was still wet from last night's thunderstorm. i honestly don't know what was going on there but i've never been so scared in my life. the whole place just oozed 'uncomfortable feeling'

hevusa 10.11.2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
However I tend to believe in some paranormal stuff

You humans are so cute sometimes. ;)

The weirdest thing is when atheists believe in ghosts, souls, luck, etc. Strangest contradiction EVER.

ann ashtray 10.11.2010 10:18 PM

I do not, nope.

And I live in a building that is approaching 100 years old (2, possibly three suicides through the years) and spend a considerable amount of time in a local graveyard. Maybe it's one of those things though, ya gotta believe in order to see 'em?

Dead-Air 10.11.2010 10:45 PM

I lived in a one bedroom shack in Olympia that was haunted by some sort of animal spirit. I had no belief in such things before hand, but it became impossible to ignore.

The house was airtight (which I verified one time by locking myself out and having to pay a locksmith $75 to get me back in) but my cat kept getting in and out on his own. I would have thought I was going bonkers, but it was always on nights when I'd had somebody sleeping with me, so I could verify he had gone in or out on his own. There were the usual noises in the other room and stuff like that too. I became convinced there was a spirit in the place, and at first rather than scared, I was fascinated by it. This went on for a couple months.

Then one day I went off to work (djing in the club) and my cat who was getting older and starting to have kidney problems had puked on my table. I didn't have time to clean it up, but figured I would when I came home. When I did, though, there was this crazy fucked up sculpture made with the cat puke and a stack of my favorite cds and the junk mail on the table, a bit like the weird collage "Pink" made in the hotel room in The Wall. It was disgusting and obviously malicious. So I'd had it and decided I wasn't going to tolerate it anymore. My wife, who I had just started dating at the time, actually cleaned the whole fucking mess up for me, because I was too freaked out to do it myself.

I had a friend, actually my weed dealer, who was into "magick" and all that shit, and I'd always scoffed at him. However, now I called him up and asked him to come over and do a "binding" or whatever it took to get rid of what he called "the beasty". Even as he did so, the whole thing seemed ridiculous to me, he did something I didn't see in the house by himself while I waited outside with another friend and then came out and made some very silly seeming high pitched screech. But when he did it, he was out in the yard, and there was a crash like something falling over in the house. And the incidents, including just my cat being able to get through locked doors like he had, totally stopped.

Later I found from my neighbor that in her back yard, which was an adjoining and co-owned property, there was a pet grave. I checked it out. It said, "In remembrance of Baby" or something like that. So I think maybe it was the spirit of that pet fucking with me. I don't know. But we were plenty glad to have it gone, whatever it was.

jon boy 10.11.2010 10:45 PM

not really no. i think people see or experience what they want rather than whats actually there, or they see something that they convert into being a ghost which can be easily misconstrued. i heard that most ghost sightings happen at night when people are tired and more susceptible to mistaking something that isnt really there.

Dead-Air 10.11.2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
not really no. i think people see or experience what they want rather than whats actually there, or they see something that they convert into being a ghost which can be easily misconstrued. i heard that most ghost sightings happen at night when people are tired and more susceptible to mistaking something that isnt really there.

Most prostitute sightings are also at night, does that mean they really don't exist?

jon boy 10.11.2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Most prostitute sightings are also at night, does that mean they really don't exist?

you should walk around some of the neighborhoods in this city, ghosts are everywhere.

hevusa 10.12.2010 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air

If you ask them they don't (har, har)

ann ashtray 10.12.2010 01:42 AM

Patrick Swayze stars in...

GHOST II

...and this time he's a ghost, too.

Derek 10.12.2010 05:59 AM

Quote:

I had a friend, actually my weed dealer, who was into "magick" and all that shit, and I'd always scoffed at him. However, now I called him up and asked him to come over and do a "binding" or whatever it took to get rid of what he called "the beasty". Even as he did so, the whole thing seemed ridiculous to me, he did something I didn't see in the house by himself while I waited outside with another friend and then came out and made some very silly seeming high pitched screech. But when he did it, he was out in the yard, and there was a crash like something falling over in the house. And the incidents, including just my cat being able to get through locked doors like he had, totally stopped.
Does anyone know any books I could read about magick? It's something that really interests me.