Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Favorite Song on Least favorite SY Album? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=94024)

raiinking 06.26.2013 02:59 PM

Favorite Song on Least favorite SY Album?

I've never been a devout follower of Rather Ripped but I ABSOLUTELY ADORE TURQUOISE BOY. I love that song entirely. It's amazing.

Does anybody else feel this way? perhaps about another SY album?

Rob Instigator 06.26.2013 04:12 PM

SKINK - on EJST&NS

Toilet & Bowels 06.26.2013 04:43 PM

Don't make me have to listen to RR so I can answer this question

Rob Instigator 06.26.2013 04:46 PM

(edited for idiocy)

whorefrost 06.26.2013 04:53 PM

Pink Steam

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.26.2013 05:54 PM

You Rather Ripped haters, that album kicks ass, especially live! Reena, Incerate, Jams Run Free, Rats, Turqoise Boy.. where can you go wrong?

Also. This thread made me realize how much I don't actually hate Experimental Jet Set Trash No Star as much as I used to think I did. When I was going through tracks to find my favorite, I realized I liked a few there, and it was hard to pick one, even though I really never thought I liked that album until I had to play Survivor with it and felt bad about letting songs like Androgenous Mind or Bone or Winners Blues or Skink or Bull in the Heather? I guess I do like this album. I will have to go with my gut on this one and pick my mostly favorite from this album, "Sweet Shine"

Magic Wheel Memory 06.26.2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I Love You Golden Blue is on RR right? That shit rules.

It's on Sonic Nurse.

Pinkunicornnx 06.26.2013 10:35 PM

Brave Men Run or Death Valley 69... Bad Moon Rising disappointed me :/

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.26.2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkunicornnx
Brave Men Run or Death Valley 69... Bad Moon Rising disappointed me :/

Really? I can understand Brave Men Run, much like Youth Against Fascism the name is more substantive than the song, but Death Valley 69 is a masterpiece like the Trilogy or the Diamond Sea.

Mortte Jousimo 06.26.2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

I Love You Golden Blue is on RR right? That shit rules.

Youīre joking? Golden Blue is on Nurse. And I agree about that Golden Blue is one of the greatest SY songs, I love it immediately when I heard it first time from the radio.

Mortte Jousimo 06.26.2013 10:51 PM

Doctorīs Orders from EJSTANS is my favourite of that album! And I really like more Thurston vocal-version,I think it should be on the album instead of Kim`s. I started also love this album, when I realised this is SY-most-rock-album! That also helped they change direction in Washing Machine to the more "sonic"-direction.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.26.2013 10:54 PM

I really dig this thread! Now I'm going to pick my favorite song from my second least favorite album

Brother James (Kill Yr Idols)

my favorite track on my third least favorite album?

Rain on Tin (and this was hard, I like Empty Page and Disconnection Notice too!)

dasx 06.26.2013 11:50 PM

It's hard to choose least favorite album of SY. Maybe Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star, so the best song would be Doctor's Orders.

SonicBebs 06.27.2013 12:34 AM

I think at the moment i'd say Starfield Road
Or Jams Run Free

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.27.2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasx
It's hard to choose least favorite album of SY. Maybe Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star, so the best song would be Doctor's Orders.

Its really not that hard considering that EJSTNS is seemingly a unanimous choice

SonicBebs 06.27.2013 05:25 AM

but its like asking who your Least Favourite Child is
we all have one (all parents do anyway) but its not a nice thing to admit it!

i love EJSTNS and i love RR its just they're a bit difficult to love sometimes
same for Goo

you can't put your finger on why, but there's just something about them

Mortte Jousimo 06.27.2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs
but its like asking who your Least Favourite Child is
we all have one (all parents do anyway) but its not a nice thing to admit it!

i love EJSTNS and i love RR its just they're a bit difficult to love sometimes
same for Goo

you can't put your finger on why, but there's just something about them

To me itīs very easy to love them all:) . Of course I like some more than the other.

Rob Instigator 06.27.2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Youīre joking? Golden Blue is on Nurse. And I agree about that Golden Blue is one of the greatest SY songs, I love it immediately when I heard it first time from the radio.

sorry for mistake. you know...drugs.....

Screaming Skull 06.27.2013 09:29 AM

Simple one: NYC Ghosts and Flowers from 'NYC Ghosts and Flowers'.

Pinkunicornnx 06.27.2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Really? I can understand Brave Men Run, much like Youth Against Fascism the name is more substantive than the song, but Death Valley 69 is a masterpiece like the Trilogy or the Diamond Sea.

No.... I meant that those 2 songs are the best Ones on BMR...

zelocia 06.27.2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
Pink Steam

I second this. And my other least favorite album is The Eternal and my favorite song is Antenna.

EVOLghost 06.27.2013 11:19 AM

Pink Steam.
and
JC.

raiinking 06.27.2013 04:06 PM

All sy albums are great. That one has some of the weakest songs i've ever heard of theirs. ALOT of weak songs. Rats, What a waste, and Sleping around are the worst songs i'd head to date by Lee Kim and Thurston respectively.
There are great songs on there but that album was such a bummer after the FUCKING PHENOMENAL SONIC NURSE.

btw Experimental, Jet Set, Trash, and No Star and Bad Moon Rising are two of my favorite SY records.

Rob Instigator 06.27.2013 04:20 PM

BMR is what I want to listen to while I careen through outer space in a one-man escape pod after the Borg attack my inter-stellar transport.

Genteel Death 06.27.2013 04:22 PM

Reena on RR and I Love You Golden Blue on SN.

Genteel Death 06.27.2013 04:32 PM

Sonic Youth the EP isn't any better than Rather Ripped to be honest.

TheMadcapLaughs 06.27.2013 07:48 PM

bull in the heather or sweet shine

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.27.2013 08:18 PM

Top three shit on albums by Sonic Youth

Sonic Nurse
Rather Ripped
The Eternal.

Quote:

That's turrible

raiinking 06.28.2013 02:13 AM

Quote:

Sonic Nurse
Rather Ripped
The Eternal.

Sonic Nurse is my 2nd favorite sy album- second to evol.

Mortte Jousimo 06.28.2013 03:11 AM

Quote:

sorry for mistake. you know...drugs.....

Maybe you should decrease the dose a little bit?

EVOLghost 06.28.2013 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
"Pantie lies" from Washing machine..yeah right. hehefucking he.

i would say "Death to our Friends" from Evol. what a boring album. most least fav Sy album. sorry and don't try to convince me otherwise.

no sirlseyfart, no vendetta to anyone who likes that album. what a drop off from BMR. it's a wasteless extension to SISTER!>

Yer a real ass...

dasx 06.28.2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Sonic Nurse
Rather Ripped
The Eternal.

You must be kidding? Sonic Nurse is one of their greatest albums! I also like Rather Ripped very much and The Eternal is also good, although there's couple of not so good songs in it (Antenna, Walking Blue).

Rob Instigator 06.28.2013 08:11 AM

suchF loves Nurse. he was stating that those are the three that get shit on the most by fans.

and EVOL is amazing. AMAZING. It is for when you need sad noise.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.28.2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

suchF loves Nurse.

that is an understatement! I revere that the Sonic shrine that is the Nurse album. Its epic. Its like EVERYTHING Sonic Youth is supposed to be, concisely arranged in one perfect record!

Yes. Those are the albums most commonly griped about or shit on by fans, especially on this forum. Though in truth, Nurse has had a bit of a revival as it reaches its nine year anniversary, which also marks how long I've been on this forum.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.28.2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

You must be kidding? Sonic Nurse is one of their greatest albums! I also like Rather Ripped very much and The Eternal is also good, although there's couple of not so good songs in it (Antenna, Walking Blue).

Antenna kicks ASS! One of my favorite tunes on the Eternal, with that screeching feedback at the bridge it reminds me of Dripping Dream (fuck I miss Jim. I think the O'Rourke era was the best for sonic youth, he was a better bass player than kim which allowed for some extensive freak-out style jams at his feedback oriented guitar work is second to none), and the melodic, droning drum pattern/bass line. When The Eternal first came out, it was not my favorite either, but it totally grew on me, now its in my top-7..

zelocia 06.28.2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

(fuck I miss Jim. I think the O'Rourke era was the best for sonic youth, he was a better bass player than kim which allowed for some extensive freak-out style jams at his feedback oriented guitar work is second to none)

I absolutely agree. He brought such wonderful influence to the band. I am scared to think about the direction they might have taken without him. Jim's absence definitely impacted the band in a negative way, musically, on Rather Ripped.

dasx 06.28.2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

(fuck I miss Jim. I think the O'Rourke era was the best for sonic youth, he was a better bass player than kim which allowed for some extensive freak-out style jams at his feedback oriented guitar work is second to none), and the melodic, droning drum pattern/bass line. ..

I agree. Along the late 80's era (from Evol to Goo) O'Rourke era is the best of Sonic Youth. My top 5 albums are probably

Daydream Nation
Sister
Sonic Nurse
Made In USA
Goo/Murray Street/Evol...

Mortte Jousimo 06.29.2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zelocia
I absolutely agree. He brought such wonderful influence to the band. I am scared to think about the direction they might have taken without him. Jim's absence definitely impacted the band in a negative way, musically, on Rather Ripped.

I absolutely disagree. Jim is a great musician & brought great things into SY, but all thatīs is essential in SY is also in Rather Ripped & Eternal. To dasx, Antenna & Walkin Blue are very very great Sonic tunes, What We Know, Thunderclap for Bobby Pyn & Or are the mediocre songs of those albums (well Or is in the great place, itīs not a great song, but ends album well). I think there are some mediocre songs in almost every Sonic albums (EVOL, Washing Machine & ATL are exceptions).

Blue Human 06.29.2013 08:14 AM

I would suggest that the period '95 - '05 is their finest era. Washing Machine to Sonic Nurse (including SYR's, Made in USA etc & solo projects) is the longest unbroken run of consistent quality in their catalogue. That hot streak predates O'Rouke's involvement but I'm sure his input helped sustain it.

I would also agree that there are varying degrees of mediocrity/less strong material across most of their output. There are no poor albums as such - just albums where the quality/mediocrity ratio is more clearly pronounced.

zelocia 06.29.2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

I agree. Along the late 80's era (from Evol to Goo) O'Rourke era is the best of Sonic Youth. My top 5 albums are probably

Daydream Nation
Sister
Sonic Nurse
Made In USA
Goo/Murray Street/Evol...

Replace "Made In USA" with "Dirty" and this would be my top 5 list also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I absolutely disagree. Jim is a great musician & brought great things into SY, but all thatīs is essential in SY is also in Rather Ripped & Eternal.

I get what you mean but part of the reason RR doesn't really do it for me is because compared to Sonic Nurse it just isn't a very good album. The Eternal is better than RR but I still don't like that album very much either except for Antenna, Malibu Gas Station, Walkin Blue and Massage The History.