Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Where Should I Start With Bjork (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18198)

✌➬ 12.07.2007 06:58 PM

Where Should I Start With Bjork

Do you guys know where I should begin?

atari 2600 12.07.2007 06:59 PM

solo? The Sugarcubes? KUKL? Tappi Tikarrass? I suppose there is Exodus also.

ten

Björk - Debut
Björk - Homogenic
The Sugarcubes - Life's Too Good
KUKL - The Eye
Björk - Vespertine
Björk - Volta
KUKL - Holidays in Europe
Tappi Tíkarrass - Miranda
Björk - Medulla
The Sugarcubes - Illur arfur!

avantgarde1 12.07.2007 07:29 PM

download her greatest hits first, then decide what songs you like and find out what album there on. that's what i usually do.

Everyneurotic 12.07.2007 07:36 PM

you start where you are and stay the hell away from that shit.

val-holla-ing 12.07.2007 07:43 PM

post, vespertine, and debut are good places.

LifeDistortion 12.07.2007 07:59 PM

"Post" is her most acessible album, and its pretty good. "Debut" is similar. Everything past that she gets more musically offbeat.

gualbert 12.07.2007 08:47 PM

I've started and ended with the Sugarcubes. That's enough for me.

h8kurdt 12.07.2007 08:55 PM

homogenic
homogenic
homogenic
homogenic

Seriously, do yourself a favour and get 'homogenic'

atsonicpark 12.08.2007 08:26 AM

Nowhere. Do not start anywhere.

The only person worse than Bjork is Matthew Barney.

Cool videos though.

_slavo_ 12.08.2007 09:09 AM

"Post" is a decent album. Start and finish off with this one.

Torn Curtain 12.08.2007 09:35 AM

Debut or Post, then Homogenic and Vespertine.

Torn Curtain 12.08.2007 09:39 AM

I think the Sugarcubes are overrated, to me they're a Siouxsie rip-off (without the melodies).

gmku 12.08.2007 10:34 AM

I hate when people do this. Find out for yourself. Read reviews. Or just go buy something. Why do you care what anybody else thinks.

Alex's Trip 12.08.2007 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
I hate when people do this. Find out for yourself. Read reviews. Or just go buy something. Why do you care what anybody else thinks.

I think it is more of a matter of making a good investment, and getting feed back from people whose musical taste you trust, than a matter of doing it for appearances, and it can't really be done through reviews.

I have Homogenic, and Vespertine. I like 'em.

gmku 12.08.2007 04:20 PM

It seems lazy and unadventurous to me. But maybe it's just me. I hate hearing what other people think about what I should buy or listen to.

Cantankerous 12.08.2007 05:55 PM

i like the sugarcubes myself
but i also like post and volta is pretty good. army of me is still the shit.

gmku 12.08.2007 08:54 PM

I'm a fan of the Life's Good Sugarcubes album, though the male voice bugs me a bit.

terminal pharmacy 12.08.2007 09:22 PM

medulla is great

Cantankerous 12.08.2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

I'm a fan of the Life's Good Sugarcubes album, though the male voice bugs me a bit.

birthday is a really pretty song but i like it better in english

Alex's Trip 12.08.2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

It seems lazy and unadventurous to me. But maybe it's just me. I hate hearing what other people think about what I should buy or listen to.

If I had money to spend on music knowing I wasn't going to get a new album for a long time, the long run aspect of having an album I like far outweighs the adventurous aspect of trying new things without having done some research/get feed back from people who you share a musical interest with.

Dead-Air 12.08.2007 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ✌➬
Do you guys know where I should begin?

Maybe hang around London and find out what health club she belongs to, then get a membership.

Casually, figure a way onto the stairmaster next to hers, and then slyly mention that "it really is difficult keeping a workout schedule when you are up all night moving crowds of thousands with your dj skills at the beach raves."

That ought to spark her interest, and then mention this really nice vegan sushi fusion joint you know off Camden street that has the most heavenly bubble tea, and how you love going there because the door guy keeps the annoying groupies out.

Once there, you're of course going to want to move up from bubble tea to saki as quickly as you can, and don't forget a little vitamin X. Don't stop talking about how you prefer to make millions without ever having your face in the forefront and are just looking for the perfect diva to soak up all of the recognition you prefer to live without.

It all comes down to how you have this demo that she needs to hear, but it just won't sound right unless you play it for her on the surround sound system in your aquarium room back at your flat...

Bicorn Halfelven 12.09.2007 01:26 AM

As a former Bjork devotee (I stopped paying attention around the time Medulla came out, and haven't picked up a release since), I would put Homogenic squarely at the top of the list of favorite Bjork records.

That record takes me back to a very certain place and time, and I suppose much of my adoration for that record comes from nostalgia, but I wholeheartedly recommend it nonetheless.

PAULYBEE2656 12.09.2007 06:37 AM

go with the sugarcubes work, lifes too good and the other one, stick around for joy and then go with debut (which in fact is her 2nd solo album) and then dont bother going any further, youve got the drift.

bjork bores me inn musical terms but as a person she is an interesting character

by the way, this is bjorks first album!

gmku 12.09.2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
If I had money to spend on music knowing I wasn't going to get a new album for a long time, the long run aspect of having an album I like far outweighs the adventurous aspect of trying new things without having done some research/get feed back from people who you share a musical interest with.

Mmm, yeah, maybe...

PAULYBEE2656 12.10.2007 11:52 AM

the k.u.k.l. album is worth checkig out "holidays in europe". its pretty damn good actually!

Rob Instigator 12.10.2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
you start where you are and stay the hell away from that shit.

mad-repped next level shit.

Rob Instigator 12.10.2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Nowhere. Do not start anywhere.

The only person worse than Bjork is Matthew Barney.

Cool videos though.

matthew barney the artist/filmmaker? he writes and performs music?