Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you playing? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28352)

Hip Priest 04.26.2011 04:59 PM

I still haven't tried Black Ops, as my interests are in current and near future FPSs such as Modern Warfare, Medal of Honor, Homefront and Metro 2033 (especially Metro - I love that game).

I'm not having any problems with getting bored of MW2 in multiplayer - the maps are very well designed and the feel of the fighting - the recoil of the weapons &c - is so spot on. The single player campaign isn't as good as the first (the Favella level excepted, which is stunning) but as a free-for-all multiplayer I think its superb.

I'm sure Black Ops is impressive and at some point I will get round to it.

I'm considering the new Operation Flashpoint game, and I'm also looking forward to Rage.

Our other main love is racing games, but at the moment they are taking a back seat to the FPSs. I'm very much enjoying the single player Medal of Honor at the moment.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.30.2011 11:49 PM

Has anyone here played this?

nicfit 05.01.2011 08:24 AM

Just finished Portal 2 (single player). I love this thing. The ending song is soooo good. Amazing game.

noisereductions 05.01.2011 08:57 AM

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.01.2011 12:15 PM

I played a 3DS at Target the other day. Just a Pilot Wings demo, so I was pretty bored, but it sure did look and handle nicely. I'm glad I didn't jump on the bandwagon right away though, my mind wasn't necessarily blown.

Anyone hear of the new Nintendo console? Project Cafe/Nintendo Stream/Wii 2????

I guess it has a touch screen in the middle of the controller, and motion control as well? But nothing is looking too official yet, just lots of rumors and speculation.

It's in HD and is more powerful than the 360 for sure, and possibly more powerful than the PS3

EVOLghost 05.01.2011 02:21 PM

Yeah my friend was just telling me about it last night at a party(great party talk, I know). Hmm...this should be fun.

noisereductions 05.01.2011 04:43 PM

I have to say that after Wii I don't plan to jump to another Ninty console. Don't get me wrong. I like my Wii. But I like it more for co-op lightgun games, party shit and Netflix. Not really as my main gaming console.

Ghostchase 05.01.2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
I played a 3DS at Target the other day. Just a Pilot Wings demo, so I was pretty bored, but it sure did look and handle nicely. I'm glad I didn't jump on the bandwagon right away though, my mind wasn't necessarily blown.

Anyone hear of the new Nintendo console? Project Cafe/Nintendo Stream/Wii 2????

I guess it has a touch screen in the middle of the controller, and motion control as well? But nothing is looking too official yet, just lots of rumors and speculation.

It's in HD and is more powerful than the 360 for sure, and possibly more powerful than the PS3

Wait... so this is the new Wii? Some grey box you put on a coffee table? I'm scared. I love my Wii!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.01.2011 05:23 PM

None of those images are official.

But I just heard on an IGN Nintendo Podcast that the system will officially be stronger than both the PS3 and 360 and has officially been named the Nintendo Stream.

If it's the strongest console in the market by launch, this could mean a big boost in third party support for Nintendo. The word on the streets is that they're also trying to regain the hardcore gaming fanbase with this one as well.

Also apparently it looks a lot like a modern SNES???? Which is not at all what those pics look like. The text in the 3rd image hardly makes any sense.

Either way, this thing should turn out to be very, very, very impressive.

Ghostchase 05.01.2011 06:47 PM

As long as it can play Gamecube/Wii discs, I'm happy. This SOUNDS very impressive, hopefully it is.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.01.2011 08:10 PM

^ It does.

stu666 05.04.2011 01:42 AM

Keeping It Simple 05.04.2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

None of those images are official.

But I just heard on an IGN Nintendo Podcast that the system will officially be stronger than both the PS3 and 360 and has officially been named the Nintendo Stream.

If it's the strongest console in the market by launch, this could mean a big boost in third party support for Nintendo. The word on the streets is that they're also trying to regain the hardcore gaming fanbase with this one as well.

Also apparently it looks a lot like a modern SNES???? Which is not at all what those pics look like. The text in the 3rd image hardly makes any sense.

Either way, this thing should turn out to be very, very, very impressive.

That doesn't automatically make it a better machine, does it? All it means is a coder will have the luxury of having extra polygons to play around with when composing three-dimensional images. Big deal.

noisereductions 05.06.2011 09:45 PM

one of the best "Zelda" games of all time!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.06.2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
That doesn't automatically make it a better machine, does it? All it means is a coder will have the luxury of having extra polygons to play around with when composing three-dimensional images. Big deal.

:rolleyes:

Well, duh...

atsonicpark 05.06.2011 11:18 PM

Interestingly, the gamecube was the most powerful system a few gens back (look it up, it's true) and it was the least successful. The ps3 is the most powerful system now and it's the least successful (in the US). So, who knows. Still interesting.

I've been playing every TG16 game ever made on the Dreamcast

deflinus 05.07.2011 01:14 AM

i think they should have pushed Zelda back further until the new console's release.
but i don't know if i can wait any longer..

noisereductions 05.07.2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Interestingly, the gamecube was the most powerful system a few gens back (look it up, it's true) and it was the least successful. The ps3 is the most powerful system now and it's the least successful (in the US). So, who knows. Still interesting.

is PS3 really the least popular? I've never looked it up, or thought about it.

GeneticKiss 05.07.2011 01:56 PM

It stands to reason, having been so expensive at first

nicfit 05.07.2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

what's your take on it? I LOVED it from start to finish, ending included.

stu666 05.07.2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
what's your take on it? I LOVED it from start to finish, ending included.

i don't own this or have a ps3 but i really liked it and i don't say that about many games these days. i'd been bored with computer games for a quite a few years now but i did like playing this round a friend's house, we finished the single player game in about a week and i thought it was a bit short but there's also the co-op game which is funny. overall it's very good and i enjoyed working out all the puzzles but sometimes it did get a bit frustraiting not knowing what to do.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.08.2011 08:22 PM

R-Type (GB)

Super Mario 3DS looks really cool from the speculation too.

check it out -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQhnHBq2yoQ

I might have to purchase a 3DS after all. I can't wait to have access to the original DS catalog again as well - a lot has changed since I originally sold mine.

noisereductions 05.08.2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

R-Type (GB)

Super Mario 3DS looks really cool from the speculation too.

check it out -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQhnHBq2yoQ

I might have to purchase a 3DS after all. I can't wait to have access to the original DS catalog again as well - a lot has changed since I originally sold mine.

aweosme dude, I love this game. Basically it's just R-Types on GBC. So great though. Way better than the GB R-Type and the Japan-only GB sequel. Somehow the color really makes the port passable.

just went on a bday bender and picked up a PILE of PS1 games myself.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.08.2011 08:50 PM

?

You might wanna re-read that post guy.

The game I'm playing is R-Type for the Gameboy.... how is it better than R-Type for the Gameboy? hahaha ;)

Keeping It Simple 05.09.2011 07:39 AM

Quote:

:rolleyes:

Well, duh...

The point I was trying to make was all that extra power will only mean prettier graphics. It won't mean the games will get any better.

nicfit 05.09.2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

?

The game I'm playing is R-Type for the Gameboy.... how is it better than R-Type for the Gameboy? hahaha ;)

he's talking about GBC.
Gameboy Color.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.09.2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
The point I was trying to make was all that extra power will only mean prettier graphics. It won't mean the games will get any better.

I knew what you were getting at, it's just there's so much more to get excited over about this console than the graphics.

nicfit - Oh, ok. That makes sense.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.09.2011 08:01 AM

Keeping It Simple 05.09.2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

I knew what you were getting at, it's just there's so much more to get excited over about this console than the graphics.

nicfit - Oh, ok. That makes sense.

Yes, of course. :)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.09.2011 08:14 AM

Right on.

noisereductions 05.09.2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

?

oops. F off. Sorry. I was talking about R-Type DX for GBC, which combines the R-Type GB and its Japan-only sequel and colorizes them beautifully. It's effectively a GBC port of R-Types, the PS1 game.

Inhuman 05.09.2011 12:27 PM

Last night was playing this and it's addictive as fuck

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.09.2011 12:29 PM

^ Nice!

noisereductions 05.09.2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

^ Nice!

that was quick!

noisereductions 05.09.2011 07:45 PM

http://www.rfgeneration.com/news/psp...evels-1724.php

Count Mecha 05.10.2011 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
Last night was playing this and it's addictive as fuck

I really like that game, but it is hard as hell for all the wrong reasons. Your character control is so stiff, the cheap respawning enemies, the pitfalls. I don't even know why the give you a health bar, 9 times out of 10 you die from falling into a pit. But yeah, still alot of fun, somehow. Never beat it though, just couldn't get past the penultimate boss.

Played through BioShock a little while back:

Started off really great, played the demo first and really enjoyed it. And then around the halfway point of the game you realize, pretty much the entire game is in the demo.

There are only like five types of enemies in the game boiled into three groups (two of which can be completely ignored if you want). The game just becomes super repetitive right away. Hacking is beyond annoying, the vending machines become tedious (have fun listening to 'welcome to the circus of vaaaaaluuuuue!' a million times). The plasmids are frustrating because after so long they're only marginally effective. And the game often wastes your time with busy work side quests where you have to collect stuff or rebuild something.

The much heralded (and honestly kind of hackneyed) plot has several holes. And the vita chamber is one of the lamest mechanics in recent history. No fight is challenging in the game and requires no effort, especially against the supposedly intimidating Big Daddies which just get reduced to silly wars of attrition where you whittle their health down over the course of five or six vita chamber trips.

And the Little Sisters are so silly. The game tries to present you with this big moral dilemma over whether you should rescue them or harvest them. If you harvest, you get more ADAM, if you rescue, you get less. But the difference is actually marginal, almost the same really. And even ethically, it's so black and white that it's not even morally challenging or interesting.

It's an alright game I guess, but it's such a shame because System Shock 2 was SO good. And this game basically is System Shock 2, which might be another thing that bothers me about it, since it reuses so many ideas from SS2. Ah well.

GeneticKiss 05.10.2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

How do you like this one? Personally, I think of it as one of the best on the GameCube and one of the most underrated games of the 2000s, as well as one of the last nearly 100% original video games...

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.10.2011 03:44 PM

It's my favorite game ever.

Ghostchase 05.11.2011 02:10 PM

Killer7 is one epic trip, down one epic rabbit hole. Suda51 is God.

EVOLghost 05.11.2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Played through BioShock a little while back:

Started off really great, played the demo first and really enjoyed it. And then around the halfway point of the game you realize, pretty much the entire game is in the demo.

There are only like five types of enemies in the game boiled into three groups (two of which can be completely ignored if you want). The game just becomes super repetitive right away. Hacking is beyond annoying, the vending machines become tedious (have fun listening to 'welcome to the circus of vaaaaaluuuuue!' a million times). The plasmids are frustrating because after so long they're only marginally effective. And the game often wastes your time with busy work side quests where you have to collect stuff or rebuild something.

The much heralded (and honestly kind of hackneyed) plot has several holes. And the vita chamber is one of the lamest mechanics in recent history. No fight is challenging in the game and requires no effort, especially against the supposedly intimidating Big Daddies which just get reduced to silly wars of attrition where you whittle their health down over the course of five or six vita chamber trips.

And the Little Sisters are so silly. The game tries to present you with this big moral dilemma over whether you should rescue them or harvest them. If you harvest, you get more ADAM, if you rescue, you get less. But the difference is actually marginal, almost the same really. And even ethically, it's so black and white that it's not even morally challenging or interesting.

It's an alright game I guess, but it's such a shame because System Shock 2 was SO good. And this game basically is System Shock 2, which might be another thing that bothers me about it, since it reuses so many ideas from SS2. Ah well.

The most honest review I've read so far. My cousin was trying to convince me to get it and play it....but seeing what was happening when he was playing....it seemed kind of boring.