Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

EVOLghost 04.07.2014 09:10 AM

the book of right on is a good song tho.....haven't listened to the other stuff because her singing sometimes reminds me of nails and a chalkboard.

foreverasskiss 04.11.2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodcrystallisetosand
Pavement are the worst band ever, even worse than the fall, I mean what the fuck is that all about? Probably on par with the smiths saying that, but at least the smiths had a couple of tunes.

don't hate on Pavement please!!!! ok. thank you.

that early noisy bubblegum sonic noise pop changed my life. they were just letting the melodic FLOW cool and breezy!!!!

the Fall is good too cookie dough

Rob Instigator 04.11.2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
don't hate on Pavement please!!!! ok. thank you.

that early noisy bubblegum sonic noise pop changed my life. they were just letting the melodic FLOW cool and breezy!!!!

the Fall is good too cookie dough

I figured out yesterday that I love music but all you really need is "Watery, Domestic"

(My fave Pavement is a tie between Westing and Slanted)

foreverasskiss 04.11.2014 01:54 PM

Watery Domestic is a favorite. when i heard that distorted synth on Texas, i fell in love. lackadaisical, don't hold yr breath to long.

good call Rob.

Rob Instigator 04.11.2014 01:56 PM

I had a Pavement mix tape that I wore out, and half the songs I never knew the name.
, and when I realized that Texas Never Whispers, Frontwards, Lions, and Shoot The Singer were all on Watery Domestic I had to HAVE IT! I finally found a not-too expensive vinyl copy a few years back. fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

foreverasskiss 04.11.2014 02:01 PM

cool!! i bought Wowee Zowee and Watery in the spring time in 98. i felt swagger and cool. it all called for more pot and looseness

no Pavement hate here

greedrex 04.12.2014 08:48 AM

CAN are quite boring and random.

SYRFox 04.12.2014 08:52 AM

yo greedrex!

greedrex 04.12.2014 09:21 AM

yo ça groove?

evollove 04.12.2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I figured out yesterday that I love music but all you really need is "Watery, Domestic"

Is that the EP? Then yes. All the quirky lyrics, goofy guitars and shitty vocals anyone needs crammed into four good tunes.

Personally, I'd add "Grounded." Then I'm done with Pavement.

----

Not sure why, but I listened to a best-of Jimmy Buffet album all the way through (Songs You Know By Heart, perhaps it was called). Still hate several of the songs, but I was surprised by how good the words were on many of them. He's kinda a clever dude who likes to be stupid.

Jimmy Buffet: not as awful as I thought

Derek 04.12.2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Someone likes Joanna Newsome? ha! That shit is DEADLY horrible

Joanna Newsom is awesome.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.12.2014 12:59 PM

an evening with viewtiful 04.12.2014 01:24 PM

Reflektor is the only interesting/classic album Arcade Fire have ever made.

foreverasskiss 04.13.2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Joanna Newsom is awesome.

she's also tingling beautiful sexy to look at. see her interview with nardwuar. her music kinda good too.

foreverasskiss 04.13.2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
CAN are quite boring and random.

random? yes. good pot trance music. Tago Mago is the best. half way through Halleluwah and i'm gone with yr stash of mushrooms. 3rd album is groove and Future Days never sunk in after the 2nd listen.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.13.2014 09:39 PM

the best music for mushrooms will always be

Band of Gypsies followed by Grateful Dead Anthem To the Sun with a midway point of Hendrix Axis Bold As Love and concluded by The Dead Movie.. TRUST ME
(also, this is most definitely an "unpopular musical opinion")

foreverasskiss 04.13.2014 09:53 PM

no one should argue with Axis:Bold as Love. it's my fav Hendicks album,

"the skies were filled with a thousands stars, while the sun kissed the mountains blue" on headphones.

im not a liar and i did trip to that album once on christmas eve, but i can't remember that imagery since. long day after family get together in my room. i remember feeling cold like always and wrapping a blanket around me.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.13.2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
no one should argue with Axis:Bold as Love. it's my fav Hendicks album,

"the skies were filled with a thousands stars, while the sun kissed the mountains blue" on headphones.

im not a liar and i did trip to that album once on christmas eve, but i can't remember that imagery since. long day after family get together in my room. i remember feeling cold like always and wrapping a blanket around me.

I had a 6 foot poster of the axis bold of love cover on my wall because the night before me and my friend were on mushrooms listening to that record, and after looking at the 6 foot Black Sabbath poster that was currently on the wall I said, "Dude, promise me on the life of your infant son that you will take me to the record store in the morning to buy a fucking Hendrix poster." He did. We went. That poster was awesome.. I miss having a bedroom large enough for such posters

chocolate_ladyland 04.14.2014 12:49 AM

Sublime and RHCP aren't that bad

Fuck Venetian Snares, Kid606 and all those other IDM-breakcore dudes. Horrible, horrible garbage!

Mike Patton and Zappa really aren't that good

Animal Collective are great (unpopular opinion on this forum)

GKMC is top 5 hip hop albums of all time

Ariel Pink is top 5 songwriter of all time

Levitate is my 3rd favourite Fall album and is an absolutely twisted masterpiece

The xx's debut album is really good. Same with Salem's

an evening with viewtiful 04.14.2014 04:07 PM

Stankonia hasn't aged well.