Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

afterthefact 12.22.2008 01:02 PM

That's cool you are into some mainstream stuff, and that you are willing to admit it on the SY board :)

lechaoscestmoi 12.22.2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan

(my girlfriend got me this in addition to a mst3k boxset... so yeah.. I dont know XD)

IS IT GOOD

greedrex 12.22.2008 01:13 PM

i like this artwork

noisereductions 12.22.2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
That's cool you are into some mainstream stuff, and that you are willing to admit it on the SY board :)

That's a strange thing to say.

noisereductions 12.22.2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

At the weezy show on thursday:

Never seent this one... how is it?

greedrex 12.22.2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

elitist perv.

Trasher02 12.22.2008 03:22 PM

Fun stuff

viewtiful_alan 12.22.2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Never seent this one... how is it?

Itis pretty good. I think its a compilation of the songs that were on various artist mixtapes. Its eitehr right before carter 3 came out or right after, because he still wasn't using auto-tune.
Oh yeah, I got to hear some stuff live from the upcoming t-pain and lil wayne collabo album, it sounds pretty good.

viewtiful_alan 12.22.2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Haha thanks. I dont really get flamed for it as much as it is that no one takes me seriously, but it doesn't really bother me.
And in regards to the fall out boy one, I'm just about to listen to it. I've never been a fan so dont take my word for it, but just look on the "what are you listening to thread" for my report on how it measures up.
My gf said lil wayne and elvis costello both make guest spots on it so I am at least a little intrigued.

Disgruntled Youth 12.23.2008 11:27 AM

& I have 6 more rare ones coming in the mail...

afterthefact 12.23.2008 12:25 PM

Quote:

Haha thanks. I dont really get flamed for it as much as it is that no one takes me seriously, but it doesn't really bother me.
And in regards to the fall out boy one, I'm just about to listen to it. I've never been a fan so dont take my word for it, but just look on the "what are you listening to thread" for my report on how it measures up.
My gf said lil wayne and elvis costello both make guest spots on it so I am at least a little intrigued.

I like the cameos there. I always feel that the lines between all music are much more blurred than people think sometimes. You could play the degrees of separation game with people taste in music and cover the entire spectrum. And I believe that Fall Out Boy puts as much thought, sweat and tears into what they do as Sonic Youth, and when you judge the results, you are judging them on personal taste. Most musicians (except for some pop bands that truely are the product of record labels and Disney and such) really do care about what they are doing and really are trying to be their best, and when people say they are fake and sell outs, it's only because they don't personally like the sound.

noisereductions 12.23.2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

And I believe that Fall Out Boy puts as much thought, sweat and tears into what they do as Sonic Youth,

I actually have a certain respect for Fall Out Boy's energy, the fact that they genuinely seem to enjoy music, and their ability to write a good hook... but let's not push it with our comparisons, huh?

afterthefact 12.23.2008 03:20 PM

Who is pushing? Even if they aren't as good as Sonic Youth, who are we to say that they are trying and working any less than Sonic Youth?

lechaoscestmoi 12.23.2008 03:21 PM

they do make a lot more money.

noisereductions 12.23.2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Who is pushing? Even if they aren't as good as Sonic Youth, who are we to say that they are trying and working any less than Sonic Youth?

Because yr comparing a relatively young band to a band that have been trudging along for what? Almost 30 years now? I mean, do you really think Fall Out Boy has been confronted with the same hurdles that come with a 30 year career yet? I don't, which means we don't know if they're prone to throw in the towel earlier, which if they did, would mean they put in less blood, sweat, tears, earth, wind and fire than SY.

lechaoscestmoi 12.23.2008 03:35 PM

also, mcr > fob

afterthefact 12.23.2008 03:36 PM

Sure, but you are looking at the large picture. I'm talking album by album, song by song, they may put in the same efforts to put back out again.

I'm not even a fan of them, and I am not defending them against ones like you who give them credit for working hard. I'm defending them against those who automatically pass them off as a sellout band who go in with no intention other than to pump out hits for mall kids to lap up. In that context, my comparison stands. In a more balanced view of things, when you look closer, Sonic Youth comes out ahead, and I'm sure even Fall Out Boy would not deny that.

noisereductions 12.23.2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lechaoscestmoi
also, mcr > fob

I hope that's a joke. (I'm not defending Fall Out Boy, but wow! Does My Chemical Romance suck.)

uhler 12.23.2008 03:44 PM

mcr=fob

lechaoscestmoi 12.23.2008 03:45 PM

^

>afi

uhler 12.23.2008 03:47 PM

the singer of fall out boy used to have dreads and be apart of the chicago hardcore scene. i heard he's still straight edge, but i could be wrong. plus, i don't really care.

lechaoscestmoi 12.23.2008 03:49 PM

what is the chicago hardcore scene?

uhler 12.23.2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

just like any other big city hardcore scene. full of horny straight edge guys and girls who listen to hardcore and like to mosh and sing along to straight edge songs. i don't know much about the scene anymore, but chicago had a pretty big scene being victory records was located there (back when victory released hardcore records).

lechaoscestmoi 12.23.2008 03:55 PM

ok let's see..

before:

after:

noisereductions 12.23.2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

pr0n

uhler 12.23.2008 04:00 PM

Quote:

ok let's see..

before:

i used to have that animal liberation earth crisis shirt dude trying to get on stage is wearing.

lechaoscestmoi 12.23.2008 04:02 PM

are earth crisis worth listening to? i keep hearing about them

noisereductions 12.23.2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

You do? I didn't realize it was still 1996.

Ba-Zing! I still got it folks!

lechaoscestmoi 12.23.2008 04:05 PM

i know them from a guy who got a tatoo of that band all over his face or something.

uhler 12.23.2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

no.

noisereductions 12.23.2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

i know them from a guy who got a tatoo of that band all over his face or something.

haha, really??

uhler 12.23.2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
haha, really??

you never seen the pictures? it's bad.

lechaoscestmoi 12.23.2008 04:10 PM

i've been thinking that any hardcore after the black flag, negative approach, mdc, etc era sucks.

uhler 12.23.2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

i've been thinking that any hardcore after the black flag, negative approach, mdc, etc era sucks.

youth crew hardcore has it's moments, especialy gorilla biscuits. not to sound like a snob, but if you weren't around for the hardcore of the mid to late 90's then don't bother with it. it hasn't aged well at all.

Death & the Maiden 12.24.2008 09:59 PM

Bathory - Hammerheart
Boris - Pink
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - From Her to Eternity
Einstuerzende Neubauten - Zeichnungen des Patienten O.T.
Mercyful Fate - Melissa/In the Beginning
Radio Birdman - 1974-1978
The Saints - The Most Primitive Band in the World: Live in the Twilight Zone 1974
Iron Maiden - The Early Years DVD
Joy Division - Under Review DVD

viewtiful_alan 12.24.2008 10:42 PM

More gifts I've recieved:

Yesterday:

and today:

Sonic Youth 37 12.24.2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

This is fucking essential. Whoever gave you this is a friend indeed.

Rob Instigator 12.24.2008 10:45 PM

vinyl reissue. heeeaaaavvvvyyyyyyy
when christbait rising gets going.....

viewtiful_alan 12.24.2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
This is fucking essential. Whoever gave you this is a friend indeed.

Yeah my one friend with good music taste. Most of my other friends either like a few stray cool things, or just complete shit... but yeah the guy who gave me that is one of my best friends.

Sonic Youth 37 12.24.2008 10:48 PM

See if you can weasel Static Age or Earth A.D. out of him for your birthday or some shit...if you can put off buying them.