Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

foreverasskiss 03.31.2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I never liked ''Sweet Jane'' by The Velvet Underground. It's got a great intro but the song and lyrics irritate me. I'm not much of a fan of ''Rock & Roll'' either. The vocals are grating and the lyrics silly.

the intro to Sweet Jane is lovely and wish it could go on forever. like some left over from Electric Lady Land sessions. don't know why either songs would irritate you?

chocolate_ladyland 03.31.2014 10:45 PM

Don't like The Breeders or Smashing Pumpkins

Beat Happening are badass

chocolate_ladyland 03.31.2014 10:46 PM

Not so much a unpopular opinion as much as a complaint, but rappers, stop releasing so much fucking music

Severian 04.01.2014 06:55 AM

I'm really enjoying reading through this thread. I am going to start reading one post each morning to make my day better, like a daily calendar of proverbs.

chocolate_ladyland 04.01.2014 11:55 AM

Superchunk and Archers of Loaf are fucking terrible

foreverasskiss 04.01.2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocolate_ladyland
Superchunk and Archers of Loaf are fucking terrible

Polvo were just a quirkier version of these. never cared for all three.

mmmm...mudhoney has like one good song and are as boring as the above.

i love a shit loads of 70's and 80's soft rock pop but isn't that so 90's ironic? im lost. it's all somewhat good.

Rob Instigator 04.02.2014 08:23 AM

you guys are crazy

the only one of those three bands that suck is superchunk

hirsute_biped 04.02.2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Kiss got blowjobs off stage
the dictators did it onstage
other than that,
same band

A distinction young bands should note when forming their identity.

an evening with viewtiful 04.02.2014 08:09 PM

A lot of Dinosaur Jr.'s discography is kind of boring.

bloodcrystallisetosand 04.04.2014 09:30 AM

Dino jr were better without Lou and murph. 99% of rap music is stupid and derivative. The last oasis album is excellent. Siouxsie and the banshees were great. Black metal is shit. Anyone who releases music on cassette is a poser prick. Husker du are overrated. Washing machine is a shit album. Funkadelic are incredibly dull and don't make me want to get up OR down. Woman scream better than men. There is nothing wrong with goth. Alice Coltrane is as, if not more essential than her husband.

THE FALL ARE FUCKING TERRIBLE. Christ I've tried but there's just nothing there.

bloodcrystallisetosand 04.04.2014 09:31 AM

Pavement are the worst band ever, even worse than the fall, I mean what the fuck is that all about? Probably on par with the smiths saying that, but at least the smiths had a couple of tunes.

bloodcrystallisetosand 04.04.2014 09:33 AM

Oh, and Loaded is a disgracefully bad album, it's not just sweet Jane it's the whole tossed off AM radio thing.

Rob Instigator 04.04.2014 09:36 AM

Flaming Lips are Phish for snobs

Genteel Death 04.05.2014 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodcrystallisetosand
Pavement are the worst band ever, even worse than the fall, I mean what the fuck is that all about? Probably on par with the smiths saying that, but at least the smiths had a couple of tunes.

Mark E Smith is mouthy and drinks in the open air. If you can pull that off you are on the right side of annoying in my book. Morrissey eats flowers and moans. Fuck that.

Genteel Death 04.05.2014 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel
At some point in their trajectories Pavement and The Smiths were fucking ace.

I've never heard a Fall album and not really given them much notice though I probably should. I'm just waiting for the mid-life crisis to kick in and then i'll start listening to them so that I can achieve some sort of fulfillment in discovering this new band that influenced so many whilst trying to stave off this almighty need to call my new album the ween off booze concept album. Too much in common probably. Mr Pharmacist is a great song.

You don't have to listen to The Fall to be influenced by them. Listening to music is for idiots anyway. I pity those who think David Bowie is about music.

ilduclo 04.05.2014 09:44 AM

might as well admit, I really dislike Neal Young, Joni Mitchell and Joanna Newsome

foreverasskiss 04.06.2014 09:03 PM

Pink Floyd is boring even Gates at the tripping stoner dull tower elf magic Hippy album. sans that first solo Syd album.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.06.2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
Pink Floyd is boring even Gates at the tripping stoner dull tower elf magic Hippy album. sans that first solo Syd album.

This is not unpopular, I like Pink Floyd too but yes, even at its best its rather boring.. really Live at Pompeii was probably the only truly challengingly original era and even it was fairly boring.. However, sometimes even boring things can be great. Take the San Antonio Spurs for instance..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.06.2014 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodcrystallisetosand
Dino jr were better without Lou and murph. 99% of rap music is stupid and derivative.

Quote:

The last oasis album is excellent............
Wait stop right there...

Liam Gallagher you just revealed yourself!

Rob Instigator 04.07.2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
might as well admit, I really dislike Neal Young, Joni Mitchell and Joanna Newsome

Someone likes Joanna Newsome? ha! That shit is DEADLY horrible