Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Post a Picture of Yourself (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=139)

gmku 05.03.2015 08:38 AM

Just a question, out of curiosity: Why do I get a negative reputation point from Genteel Death when I post in this thread? Twice now.

_slavo_ 05.04.2015 01:53 AM

Played live last Friday. It was a blast.

nicfit 05.04.2015 02:55 AM

little suggestion: have a sort of banner printed and bring it around at gigs, so you can tape it to the edge of the table you put your gear on, the sight of the "mess" of cables and your legs under it may not be that good looking from an audience perspective. OR you could buy a pico projector, and project random stuff on a white "banner" (sorry, I can't come up with a better term for it..) in the same spot. If you like the idea of people being able to "see" those wires and your legs (to avoid the "I'm just pressing play on itunes" vibe some electronic musicians give) perhaps try to tidy up a bit the wiring (bring your own plugs with enough outlets for your gear and set up the wiring the best you can). Random post of the day: mission accomplished. Could be 100% bullshit, but yeah, felt like posting this.

edit: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to _slavo_ again.". amazing.

gmku 05.04.2015 10:55 AM

This one's for Genteel Death, and in honor of American Pharoah winning the Kentucky Derby!

pony 05.08.2015 09:32 AM

hanging with father mike.. on a boat!

gmku 05.08.2015 11:18 AM

Great glasses, pony!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony
hanging with father mike.. on a boat!

gmku 05.08.2015 11:22 AM

Here's my casual Friday look. Note that I keep my glasses in the breast pocket. Real men, i.e., editors, use the pocket for their glasses, not for their hankies.

schizophrenicroom 05.10.2015 05:23 PM

gmku 05.11.2015 06:14 AM

Cute.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 05.14.2015 01:57 PM

nosebleeds

EVOLghost 05.14.2015 06:56 PM

I'm a fan of yer style GMKU....however...my girlfriend isn't....

and

must spread rep to ponycakes

stu666 05.26.2015 03:03 AM

gmku 05.26.2015 06:21 AM

Thank you, EVOL, and that's okay. Most girlfiriends don't have a clue when it comes to men's clothing style.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
I'm a fan of yer style GMKU....however...my girlfriend isn't....

and

must spread rep to ponycakes

schizophrenicroom 05.28.2015 01:45 PM

Bytor Peltor 06.15.2015 10:38 AM

Just before taking the stage for our Dad and Daughter Dance at her recital this past weekend.

gmku 06.15.2015 11:11 AM

Wet. Out. There. Today! (Glengarry Glen Ross reference. I use it at work and nobody seems to get it, or lets on that they get it. Is it really that obscure?)

Rob Instigator 06.15.2015 11:18 AM

dad & daughter dance! nice!

gmku 06.15.2015 11:26 AM

Disclaimer: Please don't discriminate against me just because I happen to have no children who live at home. I can't post fuzzy warm family photos.

gmku 06.15.2015 11:27 AM

I recognize Gary Oldman but who is the actress with him?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

schizophrenicroom 06.15.2015 11:27 AM

aw, that's sweet, bytor! your daughter is pretty!

sharp as always, gmku

did i post this yet? i know youve seen this, rob. it might be my favorite pic of me ever next to the one with craig finn

gmku 06.15.2015 11:31 AM

There's only one word for this: lovely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
aw, that's sweet, bytor! your daughter is pretty!

sharp as always, gmku

did i post this yet? i know youve seen this, rob. it might be my favorite pic of me ever next to the one with craig finn

stu666 06.15.2015 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
I recognize Gary Oldman but who is the actress with him?

Haha! That's me and Kat Bjelland (Babes in Toyland)

gmku 06.15.2015 01:06 PM

Nice! Well, let her know I'm a fan. I was into them in the early 90s, even had the SubPop single at one time.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.18.2015 02:36 PM

gmku 06.18.2015 04:16 PM

OK, you're getting too subtle for me, SuchFriends. What do you mean?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.18.2015 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

gmku 06.18.2015 05:56 PM

Um, okay. You mean cuz I was there in the 90s and hep to things like Babes in Toyland?

!@#$%! 06.18.2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Um, okay. You mean cuz I was there in the 90s and hep to things like Babes in Toyland?

no no-- suchfriends teaches history

what he means is that when he finally realizes his lifelong dreams of fame, and has to give talks and go on charlie rose (if charlie rose is still alive in 2077), he's going to use your photos as his style guide

gmku 06.18.2015 07:23 PM

ah, thank you. I don't deal well with cryptic. I barely deal well with clear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
no no-- suchfriends teaches history

what he means is that when he finally realizes his lifelong dreams of fame, and has to give talks and go on charlie rose (if charlie rose is still alive in 2077), he's going to use your photos as his style guide

schizophrenicroom 06.18.2015 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

charlie rose will be replaced by a cyborg version of himself. or who am i kidding, he'll still be around.

i don't know why i find this so amusing

but, as always, gmku, stylin.

i actually really would like to be on charlie rose, if only because my skin will glow fantastically against that background.

!@#$%! 06.18.2015 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
charlie rose will be replaced by a cyborg version of himself. or who am i kidding, he'll still be around.

i don't know why i find this so amusing

but, as always, gmku, stylin.

i actually really would like to be on charlie rose, if only because my skin will glow fantastically against that background.

charlie rose will upload himself to the internet and let go of his body. then he'll interview himself forever like this

https://youtu.be/LFE2CCfAP1o

schizophrenicroom 06.18.2015 08:37 PM

i... well, now i know that exists. that's truly wonderful.

imagine this playing in a room full of tvs.

!@#$%! 06.18.2015 08:45 PM

it should be on display at moma

schizophrenicroom 06.18.2015 09:19 PM

i'm still miffed i didn't get the whole day there, or more than an hour at the met (sigh). the matisse exhibit was super fun, at least.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.18.2015 10:51 PM

Quote:

Rose: We're back with legendary producer Robert Evans. Now,
before you did "The Godfather," there was "Love Story."
Tell us about that.
Evans: Ah, "Love Story" -- the little picture that could. Was
Paramount chomping at the bit to make it? Heh, heh, you'd
better believe they weren't. But once that tear-jerker
hit John Q. Popcorn, it was boffo-boo-boo box office all
the way. [chuckles]
Rose: And the critics loved it, too. I remember Vincent Canby
said, [turns to the camera] "I'm going to kill you, Homer.
You are so dead."
Homer: [screams]
Rose: Now "Chinatown" was a classic, but you had problems with
the sequel, "The Two Jakes"?
Evans: Oh, boy. Disappointed? I had the blues like Chasen's had
chili. I said to myself, "Evans, you forgot Hollywood
Rule #1: [turns to camera] Kill Homer Simpson
Evans: The crisis? Charlie Bludorn's birthday. The solution? A
snappy banner. Out comes the phone, in flies Bobby Towne,
and six drafts later, I had myself a party.
Homer: You see? Gibberish, all gibberish.
."

Gibberish.. all gibberish is exactly how i feel everytime i try to watch charlie rose

!@#$%! 06.18.2015 11:13 PM

Quote:

Gibberish.. all gibberish is exactly how i feel everytime i try to watch charlie rose

damn, that's terribly sad.

he has good guests-- lots of interesting people. workaholics maybe, but still.

two things i dislike:

1) when he tries to talk over the guest to prove that he knows everything. SHUT UP CHARLIE!

2) when he brings up shitty movie people to promote their shitty movies. come on dude!

his series on the brain has been great. that little old man with the bowtie that he brings along is simply fantastic.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.18.2015 11:22 PM

Evans: The crisis? Charlie Bludorn's birthday. The solution? A snappy banner. Out comes the phone, in flies Bobby Towne, and six drafts later, I had myself a party.

!@#$%! 06.19.2015 12:13 AM

Quote:

Evans: The crisis? Charlie Bludorn's birthday. The solution? A snappy banner. Out comes the phone, in flies Bobby Towne, and six drafts later, I had myself a party.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.19.2015 02:23 AM

Quote:

2) when he brings up shitty movie people to promote their shitty movies. come on dude!
Rose: We're back with legendary producer Robert Evans. Now,
before you did "The Godfather," there was "Love Story." Tell us about that.
Evans: Ah, "Love Story" -- the little picture that could. Was Paramount chomping at the bit to make it? Heh, heh, you'd better believe they weren't. But once that tear-jerker hit John Q. Popcorn, it was boffo-boo-boo box office all the way. [chuckles]
Rose: And the critics loved it, too. I remember Vincent Canby

schizophrenicroom 06.19.2015 04:03 AM

i like his interview with david foster wallace alright, but it's more because you can tell in a way dfw is just enjoying the spectacle of being on charlie rose