Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

Severian 11.23.2016 11:05 AM

Also let's stop reposting that obscenely stupid photo, ok? ;)

louder 11.23.2016 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
What? Really? He and his homies didn't gang rape that girl?

Sources please.

Pac kept claiming to be innocent until the day he died and I believe him.

He actually went to jail for a sodomy charge, not rape (forcibly touching a woman's butt, to be specific). That chick also gave him oral sex so..

h8kurdt 11.23.2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Because he was set up. He didn't really do it.

Quote:

"She expressed her interest in him; they danced together; and she performed oral sex in a corner of the dance floor. They went to his hotel, where they had intercourse. The next day, she called and left many messages on his voice mail, saying, among other things, how much she''d enjoyed his prowess. Four days later, on November 18th, she returned to his hotel suite. There, she found Tupac, Man Man, Agnant, and an unidentified friend of Agnant's. They all watched television in the living room, and then she and Tupac went into the bedroom together. What ensued is disputed; Jackson claims that she was forced to perform oral sex on Tupac while Agnant partly undressed her and grabbed her from behind, and that they then made her perform oral sex on Agnant's friend while Tupac held her. (Man Man, she acknowledged, did not touch her.) Tupac claimed that he left the room when the other men entered and did not witness whatever happened. In any case, Jackson testified that she left the suite in tears and that Agnant told her to calm down, saying that he "would hate to see what happened to Mike [Tyson] happen to Tupac": that is, a woman charging him with sexual assault, which is what Jackson promptly did. She summoned the hotel's security officers, who called the police. Tupac, Man Man, and Agnant were arrested. (Agnant's friend left.)"

The big thing is that Tupac and his defense claimed that he happened to not be in room when it happened. I dunno, it'd seem odd for her to want to send him down and yet acknowledge Man Man did nothing.

In the end it doesn't matter and I'm loathe to go on about it anymore. Like his death, it's one of those things that people will debate for a long, long time.

h8kurdt 11.23.2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

He actually went to jail for a sodomy charge, not rape (forcibly touching a woman's butt, to be specific). That chick also gave him oral sex so..

That doesn't mean anything though.

h8kurdt 11.23.2016 01:21 PM

Quote:

Also let's stop reposting that obscenely stupid photo, ok? ;)

:D

I'm just channeling the spirit of SFAD whilst he's on his hissy fit.

louder 11.23.2016 01:28 PM

The Weeknd just released a short movie that features songs from STARBOY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBsycvSU6r8

louder 11.23.2016 01:29 PM

Really enjoyed it. I think I'm gonna love this album.

Severian 11.23.2016 06:00 PM

Quote:

Buut... sodomy isn't touching a woman's butt. It's ... well, you know.

I'm not saying I disagree necessarily. Maybe he was innocent. Lots of people think I've done things I've never done, I'm sure. Least he didn't break a woman'| face.

pepper_green 11.25.2016 01:09 AM

ugh!

the new Bruno Mars is well.....pop trash. thanks Bruno for taken slight old funk sounds and making them sound lame like you.

the dude is devoid of the funk he's trying to bring back. he's like Daft Punk's attention seeking cousin. what a cartoon joke. Bruno you suck!!

louder 11.25.2016 01:13 AM

Quote:

Buut... sodomy isn't touching a woman's butt. It's ... well, you know.

I'm not saying I disagree necessarily. Maybe he was innocent. Lots of people think I've done things I've never done, I'm sure. Least he didn't break a woman'| face.

In NY, touching a woman's butt can be considered a sodomy charge.

louder 11.25.2016 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
ugh!

the new Bruno Mars is well.....pop trash. thanks Bruno for taken slight old funk sounds and making them sound lame like you.

the dude is devoid of the funk he's trying to bring back. he's like Daft Punk's attention seeking cousin. what a cartoon joke. Bruno you suck!!

I like the album a lot.. Bruno is really SINGING on it. Enough Bruno talk though.

Starboy is out. Can't listen now but I will as soon as I can.

pepper_green 11.25.2016 01:19 AM

kinda ironic that Anthony Fantano reviewed the Mars album with Daft Punk albums in the background. didn't know he did before my post. just wanted to make sure he did. and. he did.

and what's up with nasty dusty stache that Anthony is supporting now?

pepper_green 11.25.2016 01:20 AM

ah can't wait for Starboy. oh shit!!

pepper_green 11.25.2016 01:36 AM

Quote:

I like the album a lot.. Bruno is really SINGING on it. Enough Bruno talk though.

well, the good thing is...he's a nostalgic act introducing kids and grown adults to the real thing. that's the only good asset about him. so, positive love vides to Bruno for that. his/producer music still sucks.

Severian 11.25.2016 10:07 AM

Quote:

In NY, touching a woman's butt can be considered a sodomy charge.

Dude that's messed up. Certainly, touching any part of a woman (or man) without permission, or in a sexual way should be an actionable offense, but Jesus Christ, that is simply not what "sodomy" is. Unless you touch... y'know.. the inside of someone's butt. Maybe then. Otherwise it's just a bastardization of language. Whatever though.

h8kurdt 11.25.2016 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
kinda ironic that Anthony Fantano reviewed the Mars album with Daft Punk albums in the background. didn't know he did before my post. just wanted to make sure he did. and. he did.

and what's up with nasty dusty stache that Anthony is supporting now?

That guy is such a moron. I've no idea how you watch him.

louder 11.25.2016 11:11 AM

Starboy is already better than Beauty Behind the Madness for me.

Severian 11.25.2016 06:24 PM

Did you ever listen to the new De La Soul or the new Kool Keith? Louder? NR?
Y'all promised me like months ago. :(

pepper_green 11.25.2016 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
That guy is such a moron. I've no idea how you watch him.

you should be more concern that I was listening to Bruno Mars.

besides, I like to troll Fantano.

pepper_green 11.25.2016 09:38 PM

Quote:

Yes, I hate Drake. Drake exemplifies all that is terrible and artless about modern music. But if Kanye was going to take shots at Drake, he could have done so in defense of Pusha or Cudi. I'm not even sure what this insult means, since Kanye's released plenty of free tracks over the years himself.:(

Drake is Drake. I've heard his songs before but nothing sticks.

I always see these pitchfork vids of other artist saying how much Drake is influential. uh?

pitchfork has this over/under thing on youtube and most underrate him. It's usually a bunch of rap kids who play vid games and pokemon. there's also a St. Vincent vid on guitar moves where she claims Drake is an inspiration.

anyway, whats the deal with the Drake dude? ain't he just some rapper?

it's some young hipster/millennial thing or whatever you want to call them thing? I've heard the same for Young Thug. I don't understand:confused:

I think when Sonic Youth mentioned Madonna and other mainstream artist they weren't being serious. but these kids now? they mean it because they don't have an underground culture to look up too.

pepper_green 11.25.2016 10:15 PM

it's like when louder talks about the Weekend.

are you kidding me? really?

pepper_green 11.25.2016 10:20 PM

:fuckyou: you guys!!

noisereductions 11.25.2016 10:28 PM

SY was into Madonna cuz they knew her from clubs. She was in the same spots as them but blew up mainstream so it was surreal to them.

louder 11.26.2016 01:10 AM

There's no such thing as underground/mainstream anymore, really.. the Internet fucked everything up.

louder 11.27.2016 09:36 AM

So after a few listens, Starboy is pretty great and definitely his best pop album so far. I can hear the Talking Heads and Smiths influence he was talking about throughout the album, and False Alarm hook is clearly the reason he mentioned Bad Brains.

louder 11.27.2016 09:39 AM

What he does with his voice on Secrets (an incredible song, by the way) is pretty brilliant. Starts with low register and then switches up to his normal, high voice halfway through.

Weeknd is a risky artist but this time it totally worked.

Severian 11.27.2016 10:31 AM

Wha?? I wrote up a whole response to NR's thing last night and it just never fucking took. Huh? Dammit.

Listened to a couple Starboy tracks. They were OK. I think there's a bit of a fundamental misunderstanding of Bowie at work here. I read that Starboy is at least in part some kind of Bowie tribute (Starboy, Starman, geddit?) but while the tracks seem to work on a pop-hip-hop crossover level, I feel like the most endearing part of Bowie's legacy is missed. But... the guy's, what, 26? Not sure what else I should have expected.

I enjoy hearing Daft Punk. The Fest of the two collabos sounds like rehashed/recycled DP grooves. Swear I've heard them somewhere before. Oh well, I don't really like Weeknd much anymore but it's hard to argue that he's got ambition.

FML is still the best thing he's ever been involved with. :D

Severian 11.27.2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

There's no such thing as underground/mainstream anymore, really.. the Internet fucked everything up.

Lost my initial response, but here's the bare bones of it in bullet point form:

• Yup, pretty much. Some would say the Internet "opened things up," and in many cases they're right, but largely yes, the Internet had killles underground culture.
• This effect has been better for hip-hop than it has for most genres though. Kanye "happened" just as the digital/MP3 age was really taking off in earnest. A Tribe Called Quest have a #1 album. Artist like Chance (and even Thug) have used the Internet to bring a decidedly outsider perspective to "mainstream" hip-hop, and you no longer have to be "underground" to be conscious, or "mainstream" to make crazy depraved butthole bangers.
• I think indie, rock, punk have all had worse luck with the death of the underground than hip-hop has.
• Underground culture still seems to thrive in certain regions of techno, house, and electronic music in general. Footwork had been a massive underground phenomenon, largely, I think, in response to to ultra-mainstramization of dub step... but from the perspective of an avid electronic music fan, that genre seems to be holding up a measure the culture. Otherwise, people would know about DJ Koze, KidKanevil... Yeah, Daft Punk won a Grammy, but I think there's a thriving "below-the-radar" scene in electronic music.

But yeah, the underground is largely super dead. Too bad.

noisereductions 11.27.2016 12:32 PM

What was the tldr version of your response?

Severian 11.27.2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
What was the tldr version of your response?

Doesn't that mean "too long; didn't read"?

If so, I don't know how to respond.

noisereductions 11.27.2016 04:51 PM

Haha yeah i just meant if you dont want to retype the long response you lost, what was the jist of it?

Severian 11.27.2016 05:42 PM

Quote:

Haha yeah i just meant if you dont want to retype the long response you lost, what was the jist of it?

That ^^ up yonder was the jist of it. My bullet points turned into a longer post than the original. Lol

noisereductions 11.27.2016 05:59 PM

Oh i yhought you said a response to something i said

Severian 11.27.2016 06:38 PM

Quote:

Oh i yhought you said a response to something i said

I meant what Louder said about the underground/no underground thing.

But I did think you had said it for some reason.

Full disclosure: I often consider you and Louder my only audience in this thread, and I have a much higher response rate to your posts than to those made by others. And sometimes I honestly skim replies for what one of you guys has said. :o I guess the fact that Louder doesn't presently have an avatar makes
me more likely to "see" you. Makes sense from a psychoperceptual standpoint.

Also I'm not fully checked in at the moment

noisereductions 11.27.2016 09:00 PM

Got it.

Severian 11.27.2016 09:15 PM

Super exciting back and forth we're having here, NR. ;)

Severian 11.27.2016 09:17 PM

Anyone give a smidgen of a shit about the TWO mixtape Gucci dropped this week? One with Future, the other with Lil Uzi Vert? Or his Return of Atlanta Santa album? Or even Woptober for that matter?

It's getting beyond oversaturation at this point. We get it. You're out of prison and doing stuff.

Rob Instigator 11.28.2016 09:58 AM

Ja Z was a crack pusher and a pimp, yeah.....classy. real classy., fuck that puto. Pimps are the worst of the worst.

Severian 11.28.2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Ja Z was a crack pusher and a pimp, yeah.....classy. real classy., fuck that puto. Pimps are the worst of the worst.

You listening to Mike Huckabee now? I don't think he was a pimp at any point.

Could be wrong though.

noisereductions 11.28.2016 10:44 AM

I don't remember anything about being a pimp either. Rob makes stuff up when he doesn't like people.