Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   It's official - NNCK are the best band in the world. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9010)

Moshe 04.12.2007 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
i like the sunburned hand of the man just over the nnck. today.

I was impressed from sunburned much more than nnck at atp. it seemed to me that nnck were tacking themselves too seriously while sunburned had fun on stage.

jon boy 04.12.2007 04:18 AM

listening to no magik man and rare wood at the moment. i havnt listened to them in a while so its about time.

know what you mean about the guts thing with them, they always get me.

after lunch i will probably like nnck more haha or maybe when i go to sleep i dont know.

Iain 04.12.2007 09:25 AM

Haha...yes. You just noticed that?

There are a couple of different ones on there.

jon boy 04.12.2007 09:27 AM

arnt mobile tones copywrighted? not that i care.

pokkeherrie 04.23.2007 05:29 PM

new website, new releases (ATP set! yay!), new side project, new tour
http://www.soundatone.com/index.php

hat and beard 04.23.2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
new website, new releases (ATP set! yay!), new side project, new tour
http://www.soundatone.com/index.php

Wowza. It looks like they're selling alot of OOP stuff directly from their website. Yippee.

Iain 04.23.2007 05:55 PM

Bah, new cdrs (angelo mai and aftypiclipse) are tour only cdrs...hope VT get them in.

MellySingsDoom 04.23.2007 06:19 PM

I listened to one of their albums for the first time yesterday. Me say they be good but not great. They are also completely unoriginal, so find it hard to take their shtick as anything other than simple enjoyable listening. Nowt wrong with that at all, mind, but certainly nothing revealatory.

Toilet & Bowels 04.23.2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
I listened to one of their albums for the first time yesterday. Me say they be good but not great. They are also completely unoriginal, so find it hard to take their shtick as anything other than simple enjoyable listening. Nowt wrong with that at all, mind, but certainly nothing revealatory.

wait till you see them live

tesla69 04.24.2007 08:46 AM

Quote:

What album are you listening to? On what basis are you judging their lack of originality after one listen of one album?

MellySingsDoom 04.24.2007 08:59 AM

tesla69 - can't remember the name off hand, something like "Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones"? It was originally released in the Reverent label, anyway. Lack of originality? The drone/imporv thing has been done by (offhand) Skullflower, Third Ear Band, Airway, Blowhole, Smegma, Revolutionary Music Ensemble, AMM (who in my own opinion pretty much founded improv-drone). One listen of NNCK made me feel comfortable with the music, but it did not either really challenge or excite me. Funnily enough, I think I will be going back to the CD again for another listen, but I can't imagine buying any more of their stuff. Why? Because i have a personal preference for the UK end of this stuff, in particular Astral Social Club, who I've seen twice and who did blow me away.

Toilet & Bowels 04.25.2007 05:40 AM

Quote:

tesla69 - can't remember the name off hand, something like "Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones"? It was originally released in the Reverent label, anyway. Lack of originality? The drone/imporv thing has been done by (offhand) Skullflower, Third Ear Band, Airway, Blowhole, Smegma, Revolutionary Music Ensemble, AMM (who in my own opinion pretty much founded improv-drone). One listen of NNCK made me feel comfortable with the music, but it did not either really challenge or excite me. Funnily enough, I think I will be going back to the CD again for another listen, but I can't imagine buying any more of their stuff. Why? Because i have a personal preference for the UK end of this stuff, in particular Astral Social Club, who I've seen twice and who did blow me away.

yeah, but i think everyone posting in this thread is probably quite well aquainted with the type of stuff you mention, but we all still hold nnck in the highest esteem. personally i'm not overly enamored by their records (the 4 or 5 that i've heard, i mean they're OK and stuff) but as a live band i've never seen anything like them, so don't write them off until you've seen them play.

jon boy 04.25.2007 05:49 AM

the records are what got me into them at first especially sticks and stones. seeing them live only confirmed my love for them.

Toilet & Bowels 04.25.2007 06:15 AM

all of those bands (sbotm, vibra, nnck etc) i can take or leave the records but for me it's really all about the liveness

tesla69 04.25.2007 08:52 AM

Quote:

thanks for a intelligent reply! Funny you mention Blowhole, I have a feeling they might get "rediscovered" in a big way soon...they're albums are for sale in a record store near me sealed for $3 and I haven't felt the need to own them...I have a bunch of singles and that always seemed enough...they used to sort of have a parallel preinternet obscurity as NNCK but then just faded away...

"Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones" is probably the one NNCK album I would exclaim real enthusiasm about, but if you're into free music, they can be fantastic live. There was a ltd CD of an art gallery show which I neglected to buy in the 15 minutes it was available which I imagine is good because I was at the show and that was impactful both visually and aurally...to get into the show you had to pass through a curtain then down a short darkened passage with a movie projector blasting directly in your face. The show was very musically damaged, then there was this weird Nitschian thing where Dave Nuss got naked and poured fake blood all over himself.

I saw ASC last summer, he sounded cool, he played with Ashtray Navigations who really clicked that night...maybe it was the swirling red disco lights or the fresh guiness..

demonrail666 04.25.2007 08:56 AM

I only have Qvaris and the odd downloaded track and haven't seen them live yet, but still can't get over my love for NNCK.

sarramkrop 04.25.2007 09:26 AM

Il est officiel - NNCK sont la meilleure bande au monde.
Es oficial - NNCK son la mejor band del mundo.
È ufficiale - NNCK sono la band migliore nel mondo.
Es ist amtlich - NNCK sind das beste Band in der Welt.

hat and beard 04.25.2007 12:08 PM

正式だ - NNCKは世界で一番すごいバンド。

Bunbury 04.25.2007 07:00 PM

Do any of you listen to K Salvatore?
Are they anything like NNCK or completely different?

Iain 04.25.2007 07:32 PM

I have one K Salvatore record, Ashmadai, and it is quite like NNCK. The more minimal moments at least eg Letters From The Earth. ish.